Player Watch Welcome James Blanck. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just one of those players who like Jai and Stratton just comes in and adjusts to level almost straight away. Crazy he can step in as a 2nd round msd pick
Well he knows the way we play and we know his strengths and weaknesses. Ready to go compared to others

I was very, very impressed with him, especially in the first quarter. Blanck has all the modern-day attributes to be a successful key defender. Keep up the good form, James. Certainly much better seeing him down there with Denver and Sis than seeing Hartigan and Frost, if I'm honest.

Strikes me (admittedly from a very limited sample size) as the type of player who thrives on the high paced and competitive nature of senior football

Sometimes players come across that don't blow the VFL, SANFL, etc. apart; but take the step to AFL so naturally. Hopefully I'm right in saying that James is one of those players

On top of that, word from the club is that he is a stellar human being

I'm huge on this concept and people can be so dismissive of it.

Happens in all sports. Cricket a great example. Marcus Stoinis and Marnus Labashagne weren't necessarily ripping the door off the hinges at domestic level despite being promising cricketers.

If you are an overthinker as a personality type it can be more difficult playing second level sport. You over analyse your own performance often to your detriment. Plus the higher skill level at the next step lends itself to predicting general play.

Not saying Blanck is that type, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was.

Assessment is dead on. Players can dominate the VFL and look average at best in the AFL and can also look okay to good in the VFL but then just come into their own at senior level. Another example is Hardwick - he was fine at VFL level but wasn't a standout at Box Hill as others may have been but once he hit seniors he was like a duck to water and has never looked back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MSD for the hawks be like
swish GIF

I can't believe north didn't take him before our pick. Or Carlton for that matter. He just looks up to the level.

Crazy to think our next finals side could feature

Blanck - msd
Newk - msd
Bramble - pssp
Reeves - pssp.

They said during the broadcast yesterday that we planned to take him at the National Draft last year but he forgot to nominate.
:D

Last edited:
We re stacked for defensive options.
Need to push a few into the mid and forward.
If we can get Jeka to become a intercepting KPD, then it makes sense to try Sicily/DGB up forward.

We have to get the most out of the collective, regardless of personal preferences.
Sicily will give a performance up forward, Jeka might in defence = 2/2.
The other way around it's only 1/2.
Decision is easy IMO.

I can't believe north didn't take him before our pick. Or Carlton for that matter. He just looks up to the level.

Crazy to think our next finals side could feature

Blanck - msd
Newk - msd
Bramble - pssp
Reeves - pssp.

Something I’m looking fwd seeing when Kingy lines up the 2 sides to see where they were drafted in building the list.

They said during the broadcast yesterday that we planned to take him at the National Draft last year but he forgot to nominate.
Yeah so essentially he forgot to put in the paperwork which buggered everything up!! 🤫

Fortunately, noone picked up on how good he could be and in the end, we've got an absolute steal - could be our next FB for a decade!

Assessment is dead on. Players can dominate the VFL and look average at best in the AFL and can also look okay to good in the VFL but then just come into their own at senior level. Another example is Hardwick - he was fine at VFL level but wasn't a standout at Box Hill as others may have been but once he hit seniors he was like a duck to water and has never looked back.

For players who read the game well like Blanck - AFL is far more predictable than VFL

That’s not quite right, he didn’t nominate for the draft last year so he wasn’t eligible for pre season draft when we wanted to take him. On the same principle he had to get an exemption to go in MSD which was initially knocked back only for his manager to reapply and get it through. Thank God!

That’s not quite right, he didn’t nominate for the draft last year so he wasn’t eligible for pre season draft when we wanted to take him. On the same principle he had to get an exemption to go in MSD which was initially knocked back only for his manager to reapply and get it through. Thank God!
Yes.
He didn't nominate last year when he should have.
And yes, a special exemption this year so he could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back