Toast Welcome to Fremantle Matthew Johnson (pick 21 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see that too - for me it’s the posture and body movements that resemble De Boer, plus his first instinct to pass by handball.

If he ends up a similar type player/career then I guess that’s a pass mark

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
nah ras is far far more athletic.

nah ras is far far more athletic.

De Boer was an elite runner. It was one of the reasons he stayed in the AFL system so long.

Erasmus has many other traits that are far better though. That’s why he was a first round pick and De Boer went in the rookie draft. Doesn’t mean he’ll be at better footballer overall though - time will tell.

I was so bullish on this guy but he has really fallen off a cliff this year. I've been watching him closely this season and he just looks lazy when playing. He has a swagger/arrogance similar to JHF. He is young and playing out of position so I will give him the benefit of the doubt but he needs to be dropped. Take off the pink sneakers and get to work Johnno. You have so much talent and potential but that means sweet f all without the work ethic to back it.

I was so bullish on this guy but he has really fallen off a cliff this year. I've been watching him closely this season and he just looks lazy when playing. He has a swagger/arrogance similar to JHF. He is young and playing out of position so I will give him the benefit of the doubt but he needs to be dropped. Take off the pink sneakers and get to work Johnno. You have so much talent and potential but that means sweet f all without the work ethic to back it.
I thought he was pretty ordinary in the second half of last year too. While he can do great things in close, if his opponent is more than 5 metres away from him the defensive pressure drops off precipitously, and his kicking is below standard. At this point he looks like a poor man’s Matt Rowell.

Pre season had players talking him up for a breakout year

Got a bit ahead of himself or clubs just focusing on him more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing out of position imo.

Not writing him off but in reality has not improved on last year at this stage, needs to go back to Peel and we need to give Ras a fair dinkum go at it (otherwise why did we pick him with a top ten pick)

won’t get dropped b/c of injury but should go to sub. Is actually a very good sub as can play anywhere between the arcs. Ras and JOM to get a full game rotating mid forward

won’t get dropped b/c of injury but should go to sub. Is actually a very good sub as can play anywhere between the arcs. Ras and JOM to get a full game rotating mid forward
Not ideal, he needs a kick up the ass. It worked with Henry when we dropped him to Peel and Acres.

Not writing him off but in reality has not improved on last year at this stage, needs to go back to Peel and we need to give Ras a fair dinkum go at it (otherwise why did we pick him with a top ten pick)
Putting Ras in for him is the exact same problem, they both aren't wingers, It will look even worse with Ras' kicking ability

Noddy may be the answer to shifting Johnno out though, hopefully Noddy looks better in a better team (see 2022 v 2023)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting Ras in for him is the exact same problem, they both aren't wingers, It will look even worse with Ras' kicking ability

Noddy may be the answer to shifting Johnno out though, hopefully Noddy looks better in a better team (see 2022 v 2023)
Erasmus actually chases opponents, that in itself is already an upgrade.

I said after the first pre season game that Erasmus should be in ahead of Johnson. Wing is neither player's natural position, but Ras is better at finding the ball, better at winning clearances and most importantly chases his opponent.

Johnson needs a reality check, his efforts have been a bit of a joke

Erasmus actually chases opponents, that in itself is already an upgrade.

I said after the first pre season game that Erasmus should be in ahead of Johnson. Wing is neither player's natural position, but Ras is better at finding the ball, better at winning clearances and most importantly chases his opponent.

Johnson needs a reality check, his efforts have been a bit of a joke
If we play Ras anywhere other than inside mid then we are making a mistake IMO, hold out another couple of weeks and get Noddy in for Johnno if he doesn't improve

If we play Ras anywhere other than inside mid then we are making a mistake IMO, hold out another couple of weeks and get Noddy in for Johnno if he doesn't improve
Ras is purely an inside mid, I wholeheartedly agree, but Johnson simply cannot play next week. He's been awful and selection integrity has to kick in eventually

People use to call Mundy lazy too.

He's tracking fine for a young fella, would be a mistake to drop him for anyone except perhaps Worner.

People use to call Mundy lazy too.

He's tracking fine for a young fella, would be a mistake to drop him for anyone except perhaps Worner.
Mundy had a beautiful kick on him from the first game. Johnson’s kicking has been pretty bad this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back