Toast Welcome to Fremantle Matthew Johnson (pick 21 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Ras will be one of our best mids in 4-5 years!
He's definitely got the right attitude, hard as a cats head and doesn't take a backward step.
I'm just not entirely convinced he's got the footy nous and skills to be a real top liner.
All you need to see is Johnson in the clinches a couple of times to know he's rolled gold. Some of his vision and decision making is incredible.
Ras did a few nice things in the limited minutes he's played so far but nothing yet that's really turned my eye.

He's definitely got the right attitude, hard as a cats head and doesn't take a backward step.
I'm just not entirely convinced he's got the footy nous and skills to be a real top liner.
All you need to see is Johnson in the clinches a couple of times to know he's rolled gold. Some of his vision and decision making is incredible.
Ras did a few nice things in the limited minutes he's played so far but nothing yet that's really turned my eye.
Different but complementary players in my view. When you have Brayshaw and Serong, MJ and Erasmus, Jackson, Darcy etc running through there, we have a great balance of players, all with very complementary strengths.

I think it'd be harder to train and coach to maximise them but the ceiling would be higher than if they were all the same type of player through there (ie Carlton). Carlont = Easy mode to coach, see ball get ball, next man in etc, higher floor but much lower ceiling. Doesn't say much about Vossy.

What we have available is a lot more cerebral I think. It'll take some genius and a lot of time to gel it in properly but it has insane potential.

I think his attack on the ball is probably the thing that separates him. I don't think we have a player on the list who throws himself at the ball like him - it's just he doesn't quite have the body yet to do that effectively at the top level yet. I completely agree that I don't think he has the skill level to be a real top liner - but that should ensure a decent career.

I think his attack on the ball is probably the thing that separates him. I don't think we have a player on the list who throws himself at the ball like him - it's just he doesn't quite have the body yet to do that effectively at the top level yet. I completely agree that I don't think he has the skill level to be a real top liner - but that should ensure a decent career.

Really like Ras's contest work. A bit like a better skilled Matt de Boer

Really like Ras's contest work. A bit like a better skilled Matt de Boer
Interesting point. Matty dB was always enormous on a wet day. And yet JLo declined the opportunity to further blood Erasmus on Sat 🙄. Would like to see more horses for courses thinking come in i.e. spell Freddy and bring in players like Erasmus in the wet.

Erasmus is like if Troy Cook and the Honeybadger had a baby who ends up marrying a love child of Nick Suban and Priddis. That baby ends up having a baby with a baby of Stone Cold Steve Austin and Patrick Cripps.

Erasmus is four months younger than Jye "still only 19" Amiss. Sending that teenage frame into the grinder to be bashed around by huge blokes in a wet contest wouldn't be responsible if he isn't physically ready.
Shades of Hird.

Interesting point. Matty dB was always enormous on a wet day. And yet JLo declined the opportunity to further blood Erasmus on Sat 🙄. Would like to see more horses for courses thinking come in i.e. spell Freddy and bring in players like Erasmus in the wet.
Agree that Ras should definitely come in for the wet games at least, but i've actually been happy with Freddie's skill sin the wet as well. Either way we need to be able to play in the wet. At the moment the difference between our wet and dry footy is massive

I have a certain amount of hope that Erasmus turns out special but gee with hindsight we would have taken Johnson first after Amiss.

With total hindsight knowing MJ was still going to be on the board for our 2nd round JVR would have been incredible at the Erasmus pick but even maybe better would have been Wanganeen-Milera. He would look fabulous on a wing for us, exactly what we need that classy, smooth moving medium with pinpoint kicking and great decision making.

Bloody awesome draft for us, just hope Erasmus lives up to his billing. He's still very young and has shown a fair bit.

I agree completely on WM from the Saints, what a great combo of class, time and leg that kid has. He'd be fantastic for us right now. He's going to be fun to watch for a long time.

Wouldn't JVR and Amiss look pretty special about now. I do suspect Treacy will be a similar style and level of player which is maybe why we didn't go that way. I also wonder whether Treacy and JVR could co-exist, especially with Jackson. Seems unlikely.

I wonder if we took Erasmus over Johnson based on the fact we thought there was a chance he drops if we pass but there was no chance Erasmus got past the Eagles? We'll never know but if they played it that way thinking that 1 of JVR or Johnno would be there its a magic play that came off. I think it's more like blind luck but maybe they played that draft like Mozart played piano.

I could be wrong but I think we might be going a little early on Erasmus. His game in the colts grand-final after playing School footy for the whole year, was superb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erasmus is four months younger than Jye "still only 19" Amiss. Sending that teenage frame into the grinder to be bashed around by huge blokes in a wet contest wouldn't be responsible if he isn't physically ready.

The counter argument is he gets absolutely targeted in the WAFL. Tagged etc because he’s the best ball winner at peel. He gets relative freedom at afl level which he relished playing wing / onball in the games he’s played.

MJ stiff not to get a Rising Star nom this week. A lot of serious young talent is emerging across the league this year but we’ve got two absolute gems in Johnson and Amiss.

On a related note… It’s probably not fair to compare Ras to two future Hall of Famers.

I could be wrong but I think we might be going a little early on Erasmus. His game in the colts grand-final after playing School footy for the whole year, was superb.
No one is saying Erasmus isn't going to be a good player. Just making the observation that one exposed form to date MJ would be miles in front of him as well as JVR and Wanganeen-Milera. Plenty of time for him to come good, he's been pretty handy on the limited opportunities he's had.
Hopefully he's back this week.

Play him in the same role as when last picked - a bit of wing and a bit of inside mid. Would have added far more than Freddy in the wet and gotten another notch in his experience belt. I’d wager two things:

1. If you asked him, Erasmus would jump at the chance to play;
2. The club has held him back more reasons of skills and learning the ropes than because he’s under-developed physically. Wouldn’t he be bigger than AB already?;

Remember also, Amiss is playing in a position where the velocity of contact can be much higher - he almost lost his kidney in the WAFL last year.

The counter argument is he gets absolutely targeted in the WAFL. Tagged etc because he’s the best ball winner at peel. He gets relative freedom at afl level which he relished playing wing / onball in the games he’s played.

The counter counter is that AFL is faster, the guys are bigger and they hit harder but you're right that he isn't going to escape physical pressures in a physical role that he is best at.

Play him in the same role as when last picked - a bit of wing and a bit of inside mid. Would have added far more than Freddy in the wet and gotten another notch in his experience belt. I’d wager two things:

1. If you asked him, Erasmus would jump at the chance to play;
2. The club has held him back more reasons of skills and learning the ropes than because he’s under-developed physically. Wouldn’t he be bigger than AB already?;

Remember also, Amiss is playing in a position where the velocity of contact can be much higher - he almost lost his kidney in the WAFL last year.

All players would play any role to play at AFL level, guys playing fat side winger are the example of this - that role sucks.

I think if you compared Brayshaw and Erasmus from a muscle on the bone, particularly around the shoulders/collarbone vulnerable areas, Brayshaw is much more developed but almost all of that will be due to the difference in height between the two - Erasmus is much more towards key position size - the flip side of that is that given he is barely half way past nineteen he can end up much, much stronger than Brayshaw.

There is so much time with him. He's the sort of player who will suddenly tip over the edge and fit right in at AFL level in that grunt role winning hard ball, but it will take a couple of years for him to be an oversummer sensation.

Consider that Johnson wouldn't have the strength to stand up in those tackles to release the ball, that move that has us so astounded at him, if he wasn't injured the start of last year and able to work on his body so much. He would just be taken to ground and the ball is thrown up, reasonable play - but the value he adds with the refusal to submit to the tackle and keep it going is immense.

Same will happen with Erasmus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back