News Welcome to Geelong - Jon Ceglar

Remove this Banner Ad

We are the ones rebuilding. We are just in denial of this fact. Which means it will take hell of a lot longer

I think this recruit is a sign of us acknowledging the start of a rebuild as much as anything. We didn't sacrifice much at all (the Fort and Ceglar deals unlocked more draft capital by allowing us to send the FR4 pick to Freo to get the Clark deal done) and got a backup that will only be around a couple of years while the kids hopefully develop. I'd be more worried from that perspective if we had brought in a 28-year-old that had never shown any signs and we talked him up like he was going to be our number one ruck instead of Wells making it clear he was a Fort replacement.

Apologies if this has been mentioned anywhere previously on any other thread

But in trying to find a quote - re from the player himself about joining Geel - i came accross an article - which said amongst other things

Ceglar finished 21 season strongly - in his last 5 games of 21 - he averaged 17.6 disposals - 11 contested . 24 hitouts 5.2 clearances and 2.2 contested marks

There good numbers - and it is good he finished the season in good form - a bit older than Fort - but probably got more polish and better ruck craft
He even got 2 Brownlow votes in one of those games (against the Bulldogs).

I think you got a bargain.

Last edited:

I have a long memory of a previous ruck we picked up from Hawthorn. He was broken on arrival, and in his only game for us, was more broken.
Really hope Ceglar is not in this category. Referring to DAVID LOATS.
Bloody hell that's a blast from the past, you have a long memory!

Don't worry, Cegs is actually a pretty handy player on his day. Like a previous poster said watch the game he played against the Swans this year, he absolutely destroyed Hickey who was in great form at the time.

If you can get him to bring the "good" Cegs more often than the "mediocre" Cegs you will be pleasantly surprised in what you have got IMOH.

For those of you that follow Champion Data or play SuperCoach, Ceglar averaged over 100pts last 8 games. Not too shabby at all.
While you’re at it also whack up his opponent and their score.

We actually got him + a F4 for Fort so not complaining but he is bog ordinary depth cover. Unlike Stanley you can’t play him against the premier jumping rucks but he is no doubt better than Fort in the ruck.

Age is irrelevant bc Neale and Taps are still 24 months away. I find it more interesting with Esava. I honestly thought that as he got more experienced and confident at the level that he would transition into the ruck which would be easier for him than key forward.

He’s definitely better then Fort and might be better then Stanley, he also cost very little. So I’ll just say welcome and we’ll wait and see.

Apologies if this has been mentioned anywhere previously on any other thread

But in trying to find a quote - re from the player himself about joining Geel - i came accross an article - which said amongst other things

Ceglar finished 21 season strongly - in his last 5 games of 21 - he averaged 17.6 disposals - 11 contested . 24 hitouts 5.2 clearances and 2.2 contested marks

There good numbers - and it is good he finished the season in good form - a bit older than Fort - but probably got more polish and better ruck craft

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great pick up, but you can't look at those numbers in isolation. He got pretty soundly beaten in most of those games, except when he was rucking against the two ordinary rucks in English and Coleman-Jones.

Here's how he fared vs his opponent in those games:

Round 16 v Port Adelaide
Ceglar: 19 disposals, 19 hit outs, 5 marks, 1 clearance.
Lycett: 8 disposals, 38 hit outs, 2 marks, 1 clearance.

Round 17 v Fremantle
Ceglar: 13 disposals, 23 hit outs, 8 marks, 3 clearances.
Darcy: 25 disposals, 27 hit outs, 9 marks, 5 clearances.

Round 21 v Collingwood
Ceglar: 20 disposals, 21 hit outs, 6 marks, 8 clearances.
Grundy: 16 disposals, 31 hit outs, 6 marks, 4 clearances.

Round 22 v Bulldogs
Ceglar: 17 disposals, 34 hit outs, 4 marks, 6 clearances.
English: 10 disposals, 10 hit outs, 5 marks, 0 clearances.

Round 23 v Richmond
Ceglar: 19 disposals, 24 hit outs, 2 marks, 8 clearances.
Coleman-Jones: 9 disposals, 12 hit outs, 3 marks, 2 clearances.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great pick up, but you can't look at those numbers in isolation. He got pretty soundly beaten in most of those games, except when he was rucking against the two ordinary rucks in English and Coleman-Jones.

Round 16 v Port Adelaide

Round 17 v Fremantle

Round 21 v Collingwood

Round 22 v Bulldogs

Round 23 v Richmond

I don't think that's too bad on the whole. Darcy is the only one that looks to have comprehensively beaten him, and Darcy was the form ruck of the competition through the back half the year. Losing the hit outs to Lycett so comprehensively is a bit surprising, but the disposal numbers in all of those games is encouraging. I think he's only backup to Stanley, but that's pretty consistent looking form that Stanley often lacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that many are saying he was a swap for Fort - but he's also replacing that sort of insurance type set up we had with Jenkins.

For the record, I think he'll do more than most expect next year for us... just a gut feel.

The descriptions of Ceglar from Hawthorn fans (which are appreciated, btw - thanks!) sound a lot like Stanley i.e. on his day 'good Ceglar' can match it with anyone, but the good days are punctuated with plenty of mediocre (or worse) days.

With that in mind, any chance we could be looking to play both Ceglar and Stanley hoping that at least one of them would be firing on any given week? You could argue we may be going a bit tall, but it could be as simple as Sav out; Ceglar in from the PF side. And it's a structure that obviously can work - Melbourne play Gawn and Jackson splitting between ruck and a forward line that also includes Brown and McDonald.

Hope we at least give it a try.

Look on the bright side, if at worse Ceglar plays no games for us, not a one.
At least it is impacting on Hawthorn's salary cap cause they are paying a large chunk of his wage

The descriptions of Ceglar from Hawthorn fans (which are appreciated, btw - thanks!) sound a lot like Stanley i.e. on his day 'good Ceglar' can match it with anyone, but the good days are punctuated with plenty of mediocre (or worse) days.

With that in mind, any chance we could be looking to play both Ceglar and Stanley hoping that at least one of them would be firing on any given week? You could argue we may be going a bit tall, but it could be as simple as Sav out; Ceglar in from the PF side. And it's a structure that obviously can work - Melbourne play Gawn and Jackson splitting between ruck and a forward line that also includes Brown and McDonald.

Hope we at least give it a try.
Can we somehow get them to alternate and only play on their good days?

For those of you that follow Champion Data or play SuperCoach, Ceglar averaged over 100pts last 8 games. Not too shabby at all.

He certainly was in career best form.

Round 16 v Port Adelaide

Round 17 v Fremantle

Round 21 v Collingwood

Round 22 v Bulldogs

Round 23 v Richmond
How do those those basics stats point to soundly beaten?

Lycett doubled his hit outs, Darcy almost doubled his disposals, Grundy had 50% more hit outs.
You’re cherry picking stats there.

Champion Data on those floggings.
V Lycett 113-116
V Darcy 103-183
V Grundy 99-107

I’ll give you one touch up in 8 weeks, mind you that was by the hottest player in the comp during that period.

Reckon this is gunna work out alright for the cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back