Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic selection. Go well Calsher. Great story. He’s improved so much this year it’s made us all excited as to what his ceiling might be.

As for Gunners, yeah not convinced of his leadership or coaching abilities. He doesn’t look at all comfortable in that role and if you didn’t know better, that might have been the longest chat he’s ever had with him.

As for Gunners, yeah not convinced of his leadership or coaching abilities. He doesn’t look at all comfortable in that role and if you didn’t know better, that might have been the longest chat he’s ever had with him.

Sam clearly thinks a bit different based on his comments at the presser today:

"I think Jack Gunston has got to take a lot of credit for that because he has really worked closely with him," Mitchell said.

"I spoke to Jack a couple of nights ago and he was rapt that he was the one who got to talk to Calsher about him playing his first game. It was a beautiful moment.

"I've been really consistent on my narrative around Jack - from the very first time I spoke with him when we were discussing whether or not to do the trade, it was around if Jack has a really good sense of himself, but doesn't influence others, that wouldn't be success.

"If he didn't play a game for us, but was able to mentor and help the next group come through, then we would see that as a success.

"Jack knows that a huge portion of what he is doing is a development of others."

Dont think he's ready, but great to see him in. Hoping he kicks a bag, but if not, at least gives him a reference point to what it's like at the level. He will learn plenty playing on Jones

Fantastic that he's playing alongside Gunner.

Hope he gets the 19 off Gunners one day

Watching Gunston give the news to Dear was very heartwarming.

I have no expectation of this happening, but I would love to see them combine for a match winning pair of bags of goals on Sunday.

It would be fairytale stuff.

Realistically though with the way the forwardline has been working and the delivery from the midfield, I think a great debut would be if he took a couple marks inside 50 and could get a few shots on goal. He’s already got a pass mark simply by being selected.

Congratulations Calsher.

Like many others on here, I was a big fan of his dad. Very underrated and there is not much better than a premiership with the normie around you neck.
If Calsher takes one strong mark, lays one strong tackle and kicks a goal, Id be absolutely rapt. If not, he has plenty of time ahead.

This is a really interesting take, on something everyone else on this board is celebrating.
I’m hoping he plays well (as is everyone else here). It is a feel good story for sure.

I’m just pointing out that he is playing AFL level footy earlier than many here think he should, primarily because we don’t have any other realistic KPF options this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic selection. Go well Calsher. Great story. He’s improved so much this year it’s made us allevery excited as to what his ceiling might be.

I think i mentioned earlier in this thread that gunners has worked with him all pre season and almost every training session. Not just Calsh but buttsy and bennetts, but he has worked with Calsh the most

Love the debut but not loving the lack of key forward support for him. Not only does he have to contend with Jones. There isn't another key forward to give him a chop out.

Dont think he's ready, but great to see him in. Hoping he kicks a bag, but if not, at least gives him a reference point to what it's like at the level. He will learn plenty playing on Jones

Fantastic that he's playing alongside Gunner.

Hope he gets the 19 off Gunners one day
It's a pity Moore has the #13 because I would've loved him to wear his old mans number but it is what it is

Sam clearly thinks a bit different based on his comments at the presser today:

"I think Jack Gunston has got to take a lot of credit for that because he has really worked closely with him," Mitchell said.

"I spoke to Jack a couple of nights ago and he was rapt that he was the one who got to talk to Calsher about him playing his first game. It was a beautiful moment.

"I've been really consistent on my narrative around Jack - from the very first time I spoke with him when we were discussing whether or not to do the trade, it was around if Jack has a really good sense of himself, but doesn't influence others, that wouldn't be success.

"If he didn't play a game for us, but was able to mentor and help the next group come through, then we would see that as a success.

"Jack knows that a huge portion of what he is doing is a development of others."
Yep, there are plenty of stories from even before Gunston went to Brisbane about the positive impact he was having on the development of younger players; remember Dylan Moore being one who mentioned him. You can even see it just looking at game day footage. He's always trying to help them in some way.

Yep, there are plenty of stories from even before Gunston went to Brisbane about the positive impact he was having on the development of younger players; remember Dylan Moore being one who mentioned him. You can even see it just looking at game day footage. He's always trying to help them in some way.
Has Gunners ever been in the leadership group? I didn't think he has, or if so, rarely.
So the development stuff is interesting

Remember a debut game can mean many things, Jonathan Brown had 1 possession he went on to a great career. I just live the father son rule, it is always great to see the family tradition continue...

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Yeah spot on. Barely any key forwards have come onto the scene in year 1 and dominated. The last one was probably Jack Darling.

Don't forget Aaron Cadman, the next big thing, averaged 4.5 touches a game in his first year

Larkey didn't even touch the ball in his first game. Now he's an elite KPF.

These are the expectations we should be managing.
Always deserved a debut on BH form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back