Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that excites me most about CJ is he is such a unique combination of attributes.

He has the speed of Brad Hill but is also rock hard and throws himself at contests.

He also has an insane vertical leap and takes intercept marks at will like Sicily.

The next thing he needs to add to his bag of tricks is goal kicking as if he can learn to kick goals on the run from outside 50 he will be unstopable.
Next thing he needs to focus on is to defend. Sometimes he can get caught in no mans land. It will come

Last edited:
After reading that article by Linda Pearce, i have the impression that CJ is humble and someone who appreciates life and will keep striving to not just get the best out of himself but also his teammates and quite unlikely to suffer from complacency.

Opposition teams will no doubt put a lot of work into him, but I also think we are only scratching the surface with CJ and it won’t be that long before he starts tearing teams apart which is hugely exciting.
I got the same impression myself. I think this will be the case. Fingers crossed. Given the unique array of attributes he could be anything. I would love to see a South Sudanese player win the Brownlow...

Parents are South Sudanese, but he was born in an Ethiopian refugee camp.
Exactly. What I don't know is whether this means he is South Sudanese or Ethiopian. A good question. I'm based in Africa and some countries determine birth by heritage (parental lineage) whereas others determine by birthplace. So, technically, could be either, both, or none (i.e. he could now be Australian legally and philosophically).

Exactly. What I don't know is whether this means he is South Sudanese or Ethiopian. A good question. I'm based in Africa and some countries determine birth by heritage (parental lineage) whereas others determine by birthplace. So, technically, could be either, both, or none (i.e. he could now be Australian legally and philosophically).
My parents were both born in Italy, I was born in Australia and lived there for many years.
My wife is Filipino.

One of my children will soon be born in Singapore.

What's the child's nationality?

My parents were both born in Italy, I was born in Australia and lived there for many years.
My wife is Filipino.

im guessing nationality would be Singaporean and ethnicity would be Australian-Filipino

i think that's how it works... but honestly have no real idea

My wife is Filipino.

Depends what you mean by nationality. It can be used to mean citizenship (i.e. legal membership of a nation state) or identity (i.e. which nation of people you identify with. Citizenship would be Singaporean I believe (they're by birth, right?), whereas identity is entirely up to your yet to be born child.

That's my best guess anyway - happy to be told I'm wrong!

Next thing he needs to focus on is to defend. Sometimes he can get caught in no mans land. It will come
The best form of defense, is attack!
Given what we are currently seeing from CJ, attack, attack, attack! The positives from it will far outweigh the negatives.
Whatever they want to identify as
:rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is always a balance

Indeed. One on one defending is his weakness, he's good at covering ground and making up distance to get a fist in when he's a bit out of position, but one on one with a dangerous opponent he looks unsure. It'll come.

The photo of him with Titch and Scrima showed how absolutely jacked he is.

Loved how Scrima got around him after his blistering run and pass to Lewis. The young brigade building a nice camaraderie and bond
that smile on his face after that play was very uplifting, and the high fives from his mates kept that smile going - great to see.

There is always a balance
balance.gif
It'll come.
I think so too although I wouldn't like to see the focus of the defensive part of his game detract from what we are seeing him do presently, regarding his attacking power.
I think of him not as a defender but of an attacking rebouner who can turn the tables on his forward opponent to defend against him.

View attachment 1113283

I think so too although I wouldn't like to see the focus of the defensive part of his game detract from what we are seeing him do presently, regarding his attacking power.
I think of him not as a defender but of an attacking rebouner who can turn the tables on his forward opponent to defend against him.
Totally agree.

The best form of pressure in AFL is not defensive pressure, it is scoreboard pressure (kicking goals)

I have said it plenty of times on this forum that whenever this particular side moves the dial from the defensive setting to the attacking setting we look so, so, so much better.

CJ is basically the physical embodiment of how I want to see us play. Attacking, fast, exciting football.

I will wear the enevitable mistakes that occur when we play this way (getting goals kicked on the rebound for example) as when we play this way we are actually playing to win, not to limit our losses.

My wife is Filipino.

I believe the train will exit the tunnel at 50km/h after 3 seconds.

Totally agree.

The best form of pressure in AFL is not defensive pressure, it is scoreboard pressure (kicking goals)

I have said it plenty of times on this forum that whenever this particular side moves the dial from the defensive setting to the attacking setting we look so, so, so much better.

CJ is basically the physical embodiment of how I want to see us play. Attacking, fast, exciting football.

I will wear the enevitable mistakes that occur when we play this way (getting goals kicked on the rebound for example) as when we play this way we are actually playing to win, not to limit our losses.
Wrong defensive pressure comes before scoreboard pressure because you can score all you like but if you let the opposition score more you will lose. Geelong looked awesome as an offensive side in the late 80s and early 90s they lost grand finals due to their poor defence.

Melbourne's resurgence is on the back of a great defensive effort all across the ground. It is the reason they beat Richmond. A great defence is part of premiership teams

Wrong defensive pressure comes before scoreboard pressure because you can score all you like but if you let the opposition score more you will lose. Geelong looked awesome as an offensive side in the late 80s and early 90s they lost grand finals due to their poor defence.

Melbourne's resurgence is on the back of a great defensive effort all across the ground. It is the reason they beat Richmond. A great defence is part of premiership teams
Conversely we beat Freo in 2013 when we were at the top of our powers as an offensive team and Freo were being lauded for their all ground maniacal defensive pressure.

I am not saying that defense is not important (of course it is) but we played great defense for most of the games this year for multiple losses. We were playing the soccer equivalent of a 4 - 5 -1 formation for those matches.

If you have a myopic focus on defense then you will struggle to kick goals and you are not going anywhere in the AFL if you can only put out 7 to 9 goals a game.

We score 100 points this week against the Saints and we win the game, simple as that.

We score less and who knows?

Last time I checked (things might have changed since), teams that kick more goals than their opposition in a game usually win. The only way to kick goals is attack.
Attacking rebound defenders is where it's at.
Dat balance

Next preseason 2022..
What position you think CJ will play?
Is he similar to Peter Knights CHB to Full Forward that's is
awesome how exciting..

Melbourne's resurgence is on the back of a great
Ruckman in Gawn who gives Petracca and Oliver a head start over their opponents.
Those 3 are having a very good start of the season.

Last time I checked (things might have changed since), teams that kick more goals than their opposition in a game usually win. The only way to kick goals is attack.
Attacking rebound defenders is where it's at.
Dat balance
This is one of the reasons I was so critical of Strattons last two years

He regressed so much into his shell he gave essentially zero rebound / attacking output and purely concentrated on negating his man (resorting to that pinching rubbish as an example)

I can wear this from a Full Back like Frawley (although is saying that there have been very good attacking full backs such as Rance and Chris Langford) but to get zero run / rebound from a Back Pocket / Half Back Flanker is like being one player short on the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back