Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

1661998015598.png

Comparison between Nash and Shiels at the 50 game mark. Shiels obviously much younger but Nash would have a lot less footy under the belt coming from the Irish pathway.

Shiels has Nash covered in disposals and tackles still. Got a lot more of it on the outside which would come from pure footy IQ, just knowing where to run. Think that will be the biggest point of improvement for Nash is finding more of the cheap ball. Finds plenty of the contested and knows how to tap and knock the ball on through brute strength but needs to get more involved on the outside.

Better user of the ball too. Noted this year in an earlier post that Nash has been one of our most efficient user of the football in generating scores.

View attachment 1495977

Comparison between Nash and Shiels at the 50 game mark. Shiels obviously much younger but Nash would have a lot less footy under the belt coming from the Irish pathway.

Shiels has Nash covered in disposals and tackles still. Got a lot more of it on the outside which would come from pure footy IQ, just knowing where to run. Think that will be the biggest point of improvement for Nash is finding more of the cheap ball. Finds plenty of the contested and knows how to tap and knock the ball on through brute strength but needs to get more involved on the outside.

Better user of the ball too. Noted this year in an earlier post that Nash has been one of our most efficient user of the football in generating scores.

Good points. I wonder if we will ever see taps to advantage as a stat? It is as good as a possession and some players do it much better than others.

Good points. I wonder if we will ever see taps to advantage as a stat? It is as good as a possession and some players do it much better than others.

If they did the 'statisticians' on Bigfooty would finally start to appreciate Cyril for how great he was.

Needs to have a KPI for next year of averaging at least 20 possessions a game which is break even number for a midfielder.

Also needs a guarantee from the coaching staff that he won't be put in the ruck again as that did absolutely no one any favours.

If he can average 20 touches a game as well as bring the physical presence that's a decent AFL player IMOH.

If he keeps averaging 15 touches a-game that's borderline to keep on the list.

That's a fallacy just measuring team contribution on possessions alone.
No player is measured that way.

That's a fallacy just measuring team contribution on possessions alone.
No player is measured that way.
I would think that if you play as a full time midfielder a minimum threshold of 20 possessions would be considered an industry standard.

Naturally they measure other things like tackles, smothers, defensive pressure, etc but a mids main job is still to get the ball.

Bigger stronger Shiels is a big ask, let him find his feet in the midfield first. Shiels was way behind the midfield pecking list when he started tagging full-time and already had a year where he showed signs of being a good accumulator of the footy before we repurposed him, we had Sewell still playing pretty well back then.

We don't really have that luxury with mids, they have to learn to find a bit of the footy.

Hard to believe there are posters who think Nash should have been cut at end of this season. He spent the first part of his short career to date running around the half forward graveyard on a learning experience.
Thanks to some innovation from Sam he’s been tried as a midfielder (when he wasn’t sharing duties in the ruck).

Apart from being ruckman size, he’s an elite athlete (with an elite grounding in rugby) who is probably the fastest player at the club over 5 metres, as demonstrated by his trademark closing down tackles. The one against the Tigers (I think) was special. The Tiger speedster was racing through the centre thinking he was clear. Nash gave him 3 metres and chased him down - turnover.

This guy has more upside at the club than anyone (with the possible exception of Max Ramsden). That’s why the club has given him a 2 year contract extension.

Thought he stagnated a bit in the midfield this season. Not sure if opposition worked him out but seemed to have some more promising games late last year. He was probably impacted by Finn taking on the defensive roles.

Just not sure he reads the play or drop of ball well enough to be in midfield. Athleticism isn’t enough.

He would have learnt a heap this season so interested to see what he looks like next year (and he’s very early into his midfield role) but probably less confident on him than 12 months ago.

Thought he stagnated a bit in the midfield this season. Not sure if opposition worked him out but seemed to have some more promising games late last year. He was probably impacted by Finn taking on the defensive roles.

Just not sure he reads the play or drop of ball well enough to be in midfield. Athleticism isn’t enough.

He would have learnt a heap this season so interested to see what he looks like next year (and he’s very early into his midfield role) but probably less confident on him than 12 months ago.

I think he deserves a chance to play one single role next season, or at least not be used as a utility having to chop out as a ruckman.

It can't have helped his development this season and I don't think we got true indication of what he could offer the side.

But having said that he's still one of the few at risk of being overtaken next season. He'd be a bottom six player in the side currently.

I think he deserves a chance to play one single role next season, or at least not be used as a utility having to chop out as a ruckman.

It can't have helped his development this season and I don't think we got true indication of what he could offer the side.

But having said that he's still one of the few at risk of being overtaken next season. He'd be a bottom six player in the side currently.
Not sure if this was deliberate wording? I'd hope there's quite a few at risk of being overtaken. In my mind, we need to significant improvement (in skills, experience, consistency, or general commitment) from everyone except the following for us to be a legitimate finals team:
- Sicily
- Moore
- Hardwick
- Gunston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had a good season and is improving, but we will be a better team when we have players replacing him.
We’ll be a better team when he gets the ball more. He contests very well, he spreads well, and he uses it well.

I think he’s in for a big 2023.

I still maintain that at some point it will come together whereby his responses will become instinctive. As pointed out Finn has come on and is shutting down the opposition's most dangerous mids, so I'm hoping it will free up Connor to become a bit of a weapon with that ability to deliver the shock punch that can floor an opponent ... Here's hoping anyway !!!

He will also get a full preseaon training with the team this year. Last year it was compromised in that he was back in Ireland for a decent portion of it. Still the right decision by the club after 2 years of covid but it may have had an impact getting him used to the midfield role

View attachment 1495977

I wonder when they'll look at the actual effect of the tackles. How many of those tackles for each player caused a turnover.

I wonder when they'll look at the actual effect of the tackles. How many of those tackles for each player caused a turnover.
Would be interesting to see number of tackles that created a turnover compared to a ball up or the ball just falling loose.

I do love Nash, but how quickly we forget. Shiels was a bloody ripper. One of the best and most consistently high tacklers we had during our peak years.

One of Clarkson's great soldiers week in week out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back