Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

DGB is one of the most unfit players on the list. He's currently out for half a season with an injury that directly affects his ability to do any running based training.

It will be a miracle if he plays a senior game and looks 100% fit this season in my opinion.

I'm unsure what happens next, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's in different colours or none next season.

Let me make one thing clear though. I desperately hope I'm wrong!

Correct. Just bought a house here. Staying put.
That's what he thinks...

Think Fran Healy GIF by Travis

This! We're set for /7-8 years for kpd position.
Just like we were set for rucks at the end of 2022 with Reeves, Meek, Lynch and Ramsden.

We aren’t “set” for any period with KPDs. They’ve barely played any AFL footy to prove they’re actually capable.

Fortunately it will never happen now but if you look at every other major city it’s basically built around key coastal regions, Perth just feels like a desert
Its right on the Swan River and has suburbs on the beach. A good place for a holiday. Lived there for 2 years not sure I could do that again though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like we were set for rucks at the end of 2022 with Reeves, Meek, Lynch and Ramsden.

We aren’t “set” for any period with KPDs. They’ve barely played any AFL footy to prove they’re actually capable.
Read properly and then reply. IF been used by TD as the operative word. Don't just jump .

Read properly and then reply. IF been used by TD as the operative word. Don't just jump .
Appreciate that, but the OP could be read several different ways.

IF DBG comes good

1. either through the injury; or

2. by improving his output

THEN with McCabe, Phillips & Blanck

3. all coming good as opposed to

4. just being on the list as AFL players…..

THEN we’re set.

I simply did not read it the same way you did. 🤷‍♂️

Upshot: I think we can all agree a lot has to go right with these 4 in order for the club to “be set” for the next 7-8 years 👍

Last edited:
Appreciate that, but the OP could be read several different ways.

IF DBG comes good

1. either through the injury; or

2. by improving his output

THEN with McCabe, Phillips & Blanck

3. all coming good as opposed to

4. just being on the list as AFL players…..

THEN we’re set.

I simply did not read it the same way you did. 🤷‍♂️

Upshot: I think we can all agree a lot has to go right with these 4 in order for the club to “be set” for the next 7-8 years 👍
I'm just backing these players at their relatively young age and yhe club to get a good service out of Blanck/Phillips/Denver/McCabe in the near future. There's a bit to work with.
As for a kpf and a third tall? That's the sticky point in the next couple of years we need to iron out.

Agree. If he comes good, with McCabe, Phillips and Blanck, then we're set.

Have any of those chaps show anything to suggest they will become the next May, Moore, Andrews, Sam Taylor...?

Not to say one may not, but the chance of Denver or Blanck gettign there on what we've seen is a stretch and who knows with the other two?

Hawthorn High Performance Manager Peter Burge said Grainger-Barras resumed running again this week, and if things remained on track, he would now be aiming for a Round 10 return to play.

"The last week he started running on the Alter-G treadmill... he's doing some form of running which is good, albeit not his 100 per cent full body weight," Burge explained.

"We're now going to make that next step to running outside on land, at 100 per cent body weight and that will happen towards the end of this week, so that's very positive news."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back