Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

People who want to LOL at criticsm of Moore:

He is:

hopeless at tackling
hopeless at two way running
hopeless once he loses the upper hand in a contest
When he loses a contest, he jogs
often pops up without any opponent to take possession which is most of his possessions (and that's not because of work rate, it's because of an unexpected turnover and him not chasing up field)
very rarely wins a contest when leading to the wing
very rarely wins a contest in the F50 unless the ball bounces his way
Has had 3 or 4 great moments - that required courage - this year - yes, he is a footballer
Is excellent with ball in hand - one of our best
Is good in a chain of possession - when handed the ball and we have ascendency

Let's all LOL and never drop him.
You REALLY REALLY don't like Moorey do you.

You REALLY REALLY don't like Moorey do you.

I didn't like him much at all before the weekend. I have had big problems with Moore's style of play, even when he was kicking goals.

But I saw something from him on the weekend that I have never seen before - pace in defence, chasing opposition players. If he can do that every week it is a huge deficiency in his game that is rectified. Honestly I didn't think he had that pace in him, but he needs to show it a few times for it to be real. I thought it was his best game for us.

There are reasons Richmond chose to cut Butler and keep Baker; I really think Butler is tripe and I don't want Moore to imitate his selfish, one way, outside style of game (but he didn't on the weekend).

Last edited:

Not much at all before the weekend. I have had big problems with Moore's style of play, even when he was kicking goals.

But I saw something from him on the weekend that I have never seen before - pace in defence, chasing opposition players. If he can do that every week it is a huge deficiency in his game that is rectified. Honestly I didn't think he had that pace in him, but he needs to show it a few times for it to be real. I thought it was his best game for us.
He was very good on the weekend.
You may need to be a bit more patient with him. Clarko obviously sees something in him and I would assume he's doing what's asked of him otherwise he wouldn't be in side.
End of day you may be justified in your criticism of him but I think we need to give him this season at least of consistent game time to prove himself.
I really hope he makes it. Time will tell I guess.

You may need to be a bit more patient with him. Clarko obviously sees something in him and I would assume he's doing what's asked of him otherwise he wouldn't be in side.
End of day you may be justified in your criticism of him but I think we need to give him this season at least of consistent game time to prove himself.

Moore's attitude to the contest and to defence was noticably different *for me* over the last two weeks. (I don't know why, hopefully it was coaching).

I love Bruest, but I don't think he is a good role model for our small forwards. They don't have his freak abilities and they need to learn a defensive side to their game that Bruest does not have. Moore might still be finding his way - whereas with a player like Morris his defensive attitude was obvious from game 1.

I believe Moore only made football his priority late in his junior career.

He seemed to be matched up to lukuscious...if that was the case he wasn’t very accountable to his opponent.

I don't know how intentional that was, although I did see them together pretty often.

On the flipside, Luko let a bloke far smaller than he have 8 marks and 4 shots on goal. Think it reflects more poorly on Jack.

He seemed to be matched up to lukuscious...if that was the case he wasn’t very accountable to his opponent.
Hmm. Interesting if true. It’s Moore’s defensive side that concerns me. He is genuinely slow for a small. If he getting kicks up the ground but leaving a player as damaging as lukocious free then his 20 or so stats don’t mean much.

Moore's attitude to the contest and to defence was noticably different *for me* over the last two weeks. (I don't know why, hopefully it was coaching).

I love Bruest, but I don't think he is a good role model for our small forwards. They don't have his freak abilities and they need to learn a defensive side to their game that Bruest does not have. Moore might still be finding his way - whereas with a player like Morris his defensive attitude was obvious from game 1.

I believe Moore only made football his priority late in his junior career.
Breust is always near the top of the pressure acts ladder. Even injured he was still top five. Is defensive pressure is underrated.
1622416106132.jpeg

Moore is a high half forward. Not a small forward. Looks really promising playing the first, shithouse the second.

it could go either way, but as a high half forward he has a chance to become a Kane Lambert imo. A really good game on the weekend. I'd like to see him given some time in the middle as the season progresses.

Breust is always near the top of the pressure acts ladder. Even injured he was still top five. Is defensive pressure is underrated.
View attachment 1142127
Breust has been pretty underrated his whole career for defensive pressure. Can go missing offensively but always puts in defensively. Even when cyril and pop where topping the charts Breust was only just behind them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just think about it: would he have been in the team any time from 20011 to 2016?Of course not.
That's the standard we need to get to. So the longer he's in the team, the longer we aren't contending.

He tries, but he's a limited footballer who will play an occasional good game.
But we need to find the next Breust, Cyril, Puopolo to push him out.
I just don't think he has the improvement in him to play at that level.

Just think about it: would he have been in the team any time from 20011 to 2016?Of course not.
That's the standard we need to get to. So the longer he's in the team, the longer we aren't contending.

He tries, but he's a limited footballer who will play an occasional good game.
But we need to find the next Breust, Cyril, Puopolo to push him out.
I just don't think he has the improvement in him to play at that level.

If you coached Richmond and had to pick your grand final side for the coming week, would you currently pick Moore or 3 time premiership player Dan Rioli? Or 3 time premiership player Kane Lambert who Moore is almost a clone of?

Footy has shifted a little since our 3peat. If you play an important role in a quality team it doesn't matter if you have a few limitations.

Moorey wouldn't push peak Poppy, Cyril or Breust out of the side, but that particular make up won't necessarily be the winning formula as the game evolves anyway.

Dylan could easily be on 20 goals for the season right now instead of 13 if we were 1st in the comp for inside 50's instead of last.

If you coached Richmond and had to pick your grand final side for the coming week, would you currently pick Moore or 3 time premiership player Dan Rioli? Or 3 time premiership player Kane Lambert who Moore is almost a clone of?

Footy has shifted a little since our 3peat. If you play an important role in a quality team it doesn't matter if you have a few limitations.

Moorey wouldn't push peak Poppy, Cyril or Breust out of the side, but that particular make up won't necessarily be the winning formula as the game evolves anyway.

Dylan could easily be on 20 goals for the season right now instead of 13 if we were 1st in the comp for inside 50's instead of last.
Hope he maintains his trajectory of improvement.
He's got a lot of heart.

He's the best overhead mark currently in the side.
Probably behind:

BigBoy
Scrimshaw
Impey (maybe)
Jiath (maybe)
Sicily*
Ceglar*
Bruest
Gunston*
Day*
Hardwick
Wingard

But has taken some very strong marks, especially given the height/weight he gives away.

I don't think he's going to be a world beater. But he has the potential to be one of those players who knows their limitations and does what they're good at extremely well. Someone mentioned Poppy earlier and to me that's who he should model himself on. Never going to be an A Grader, but can be an exceptionally good small forward/mid who has 3-4 great games a year.

I don't think he's going to be a world beater. But he has the potential to be one of those players who knows their limitations and does what they're good at extremely well. Someone mentioned Poppy earlier and to me that's who he should model himself on. Never going to be an A Grader, but can be an exceptionally good small forward/mid who has 3-4 great games a year.
My thoughts exactly.

Get him on the main list. I think we've got a fair bit to work with here.
No, he can stay on the rookie list for two more years and that opens up an extra national draft pick for 2021 and 2022. Rookie players can play without restrictions now and we can pay him what we want.

I'm not sure what people expect to see. There'd be 5 - 10 players I'd delist before Dylan. Fades in and out but that's partly the position he plays. A few times he has swung a game or been one of our few shinning lights. Not really his job as a B grader with a big tank, who is going to see his best times later in games. Just don't get the negativity.

Spot on. And the better we become with our ball movement and more predictable the more peas he will shell in front of goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back