List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn - Gippsland/Next Gen Academy players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also excited about Harry Pepper. I really liked what I saw in the NAB finals and he was very good when he had a run in the last quarter
of the practice game down against St Kilda at Morwell and for the BHH against Casey. He is a real smokey.

The thing I'll most miss this year is not watching the development of the yet to debut Jones, Ross, Walker, Koschitzke, Greaves and Reeves
plus our draftees and rookies playing for the BHH.

Was very excited to watch BH this year :(

i was involved in a Phantom Draft with some fairly knowledgeable people about the 2020 draft pool talent and Connor Downie was bid on at pick 37, i expect him to get a bid a little earlier, but as we saw last year some players that are tied to other teams can drop a few places as clubs like to grab players they want over best available at times.

Connor Downie is set to train in front of AFL recruiters along with a bunch of other top tier players from the 2020 draft pool and some top tier 2021 draft pool talent the likes of Sonsie and Rachele, organised by Paul Connors player management group, the story is on the afl website

Connor Downie at this stage looks like a 2nd round pick, similar to where Finn Maginness landed in 2019.

Matt Rendell on SEN just mentioned he believes 15 of the top 30 kids drafted will be Academy or FS picks, amazing!

IMHO, the only positive we can take out of the current situation is that we can use this opportunity to get rid of these Club run academies. Clubs will get better and recruiting young kids into there academies to take them off the free market and completely screw the draft.

The draft has always been an equaliser with the f/s picks being an anomaly. These academies, they’ll become an absolute rort

Connor Downie is set to train in front of AFL recruiters along with a bunch of other top tier players from the 2020 draft pool and some top tier 2021 draft pool talent the likes of Sonsie and Rachele, organised by Paul Connors player management group, the story is on the afl website

Connor Downie at this stage looks like a 2nd round pick, similar to where Finn Maginness landed in 2019.

I've got my fingers crossed North Melbourne fade as the season goes on so we can have our first and an early second. It gives us flexibility for trading but also means we can have two selections before a Downie bid. Our two third round selections also mean we match any bid easily.

Out of curiosity Davo who do you think would be a good fit at Hawthorn next year?

I've got my fingers crossed North Melbourne fade as the season goes on so we can have our first and an early second. It gives us flexibility for trading but also means we can have two selections before a Downie bid. Our two third round selections also mean we match any bid easily.

Out of curiosity Davo who do you think would be a good fit at Hawthorn next year?

I find it nearly impossible to predict what the HFC target on draft day, but Downie will be a handy goal kicking winger for us.

IMHO, the only positive we can take out of the current situation is that we can use this opportunity to get rid of these Club run academies. Clubs will get better and recruiting young kids into there academies to take them off the free market and completely screw the draft.

The draft has always been an equaliser with the f/s picks being an anomaly. These academies, they’ll become an absolute rort

I’m liking everything I am reading abut Connor Downie and feel he may be flying below the radar a little. He is well established as an outside midfielder with good pace and a lovely left boot - exactly what we need! Last thing I read on him was that he was looking to develop his inside game more pre covid. Looking more likely that we will nab him with our second round pick. Early phantom drafts have us linked to Western Jets midfielder/forward Eddie Ford. If we don't trade away our 1st round pick I would be very very happy to land Ford/Downie then nab Zac Williams via free agency. Happy days

Do we have North Melb’s 2nd?

What picks do we hold, at this stage?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have our first, which we need to use, to satisfy the 2 x firsts in 4 years rule.

We have North's second.

We have our third plus the Scum third.

We have our 4th plus the Dogs 4th.

thats a lot of picks in a highly compromised draft.

Not sure if it has been posted in here yet or not but I found Connor Downie's 2019 highlights for the Eastern Rangers.

Bump

I can see quite a bit of Isaac Smith in him. At least in those clips. Very similar kick and handball action, and even the way he braced himself and looked around after marking it at 0:56. Would be awesome if he turns out to be like Smith.

I can see quite a bit of Isaac Smith in him. At least in those clips. Very similar kick and handball action, and even the way he braced himself and looked around after marking it at 0:56. Would be awesome if he turns out to be like Smith.
Looks better

He kicked the goal after the siren to win the game at 1.30 min unlike poor Issy:D

Downie is very clean below his knees. Could potentially play a more inside role.

Downie is very clean below his knees. Could potentially play a more inside role.

That was the plan this year, had the TAC season gone ahead.

TBH it may have worked in our favor - a good sized mid with a quality long kick (55m no fuss), with decent pace, is good in the air and versatile, could have really increased his perceived value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back