Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Harry Morrison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the replay of the tac cup grandfinal some serious talent went in the first round of the draft yesterday hope mitchell/jaeger are worth it .

Harry played and he has a fair bit to improve on to be a chance of making it i feel . He seemed to get lost in open play a fair bit, doesnt have any inside game , he doesnt seem overly quick and doesnt win enough outside ball as a playmaker averaging only 15 possesions at tac level through the year and only had about a dozen possesions in that game. One thing he does have though is compusure and looks like an afl when he has the ball, good kicking action. welcome to hawthorn

This looks like a good moneyball style late pick. While we've gone with a raw tall in Mitchell Lewis as well, the chances of getting a quality tall forward or inside midfielder this late in the draft is very remote. That's because they are the most valued assets in footy. You end up getting the 30th best inside midfielder who is unlikely to become a meaningful contributor.

But you need role players and undervalued half back flankers, third talls (at either end) and small forwards are the types you can get late in the draft as clubs don't prioritise them at all. It's the best bet to get a 100 game player late in the draft.

I like what I've read about Morrison - good ball user. Was more highly rated earlier in the year but has drifted in part due to injuries. A bit to work with.

Slight correction. Apparently he was 2-4 on our list after Begley.

Wheres this info coming from? i like it if true. Do you know where he was rated overall on the list becase id imagine they wouldnt of included a fair few that were no chance at our pick ?

Sounds like another competent ball user type, our kind of player who will fit into the system and play his role, reality is you are on a hiding to nothing when you don't enter proceedings until the 70's, interesting to see how he develops over the next couple of years and whether or not he can get himself into a position to play some consistent senior footy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You always want draftees to do well but there is a massive amount of me wanting to enjoy the pain of opposition supporters and one or both of these two ending up being champs after relentless trolling about how we sold the farm for JOM and TOM. Also want our development staff to get the credit they deserve and having one of these late picks do well would be the icing on the cake.

I'm feeling way better about our half back line having two-four players all vying for a position. It's still all speculative but that's the game of drafting/trading

Impressive combine results, very happy to grab him at such a late pick, maybe due to those injury worries.

Has a bit of filling out and growing to do but clearly has good skills, so goodluck to him, let's hope he makes a good fist of it

Welcome aboard Harry :)

Good combine results and good disposal. All you can really expect with that sort of pick. Good luck to the kid :thumbsu:

Very good skills on both sides; good composure; excellent agility and endurance; reads well the flight of the ball to intercept mark; no pressure to fast track him as he sits behind Doc and Miles; seems to have the tools for a slow burn development to fill that piercing rebound role critical to Clarko's game plan.

I don't want to be negative and it's great to get excited but every draft many posters say "will be a champion", "great get/pick up", "will replace/overtake [insert gun player]", etc.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with getting excited, I think it is worth reminding some that most draftees don't make it at all let alone champion status, especially those taken very late in the draft (Hawthorn is no exception in this area with all clubs having the odd ones that do make it and the majority that don't).

We also declare them future champs despite never having heard of them this time yesterday and having now only seen a short video or two of their best highlights in underage football.

Just wanting to temper expectations a little close to reality - Graeme Wright is one of the best in the business as is the Hawthorn system - but these boys still face a massive challenge just to get a game. Let's not put such expectations on them that we are declaring them champions already (though we can dream right!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to be negative and it's great to get excited but every draft many posters say "will be a champion", "great get/pick up", "will replace/overtake [insert gun player]", etc.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with getting excited, I think it is worth reminding some that most draftees don't make it at all let alone champion status, especially those taken very late in the draft (Hawthorn is no exception in this area with all clubs having the odd ones that do make it and the majority that don't).

We also declare them future champs despite never having heard of them this time yesterday and having now only seen a short video or two of their best highlights in underage football.

Just wanting to temper expectations a little close to reality - Graeme Wright is one of the best in the business as is the Hawthorn system - but these boys still face a massive challenge just to get a game. Let's not put such expectations on them that we are declaring them champions already (though we can dream right!).

Think you're missing the tone of those posters suggesting 'future champion/gun'.......
Understandable because their tongues are firmly planted in their cheeks.:p

This kid has a lot to prove if he wants to make it on these forums i tell you.

Our 1st pick last year has netted 64 pages of discussion thus far.

I expect nothing less from this kid in 12 months time or delist :D

Very well balanced assessment - great to get excited and hope these kids make it but the stats don't lie. Kids taken this late have the job ahead of them but we do wish them all best of luck and we follow their progress closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back