Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The short video from his draft year highlights looked like he had something to offer, and have enjoyed seeing and hearing about his Box Hill exploits this year in particular.

Super psyched to see him in the 1s this week. Such an exciting time – hoping we see Seamus Mitchell next year as well. Both had the pace we were crying out for when they were drafted (and still are to be honest).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clearly many down last night. Not a great night for BHH. Saunders has to be a lock though given what he has shown in the last 6 weeks and his AFL debut game! Look forward to seeing him after that taste of AFL and another preseason.

Jack Saunders​

“Jack has improved a lot over the course of the year and really showcased his greatest strengths being his speed and pressure. Through consistent football at Box Hill, Jack earned the right to debut in Round 23 and acquitted himself really well. He has taken on and implemented plenty of constructive feedback from the coaches throughout the year and his game really progressed as a result.” David Hale.

In the VFL games that I watched this year Jack often got into great positions. This is a step up from last year.
He needs to work on his small forward goal kicking skills. His left foot is currently solely for balance but I read that he is working on that. His right foot in a straight line is good but he needs a better snap. His speed is great and he seems to be improving his endurance as he had a few good games on the wing. Might Mouse (Malfoy) seems like the type of guy who wants to get the most out of football and will continue to improve.
He has Dylan Moore as a possible mentor and path to follow. His chance is now and I think that he will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of himself. Good luck young man.

Last edited:
In the VFL games that I watched this year Jack often got into great positions. This is a step up from last year.
He needs to work on his small forward goal kicking skills. His left foot is currently solely for balance but I read that he is working on that. His right foot in a straight line is good but he needs a better snap. His speed is great and he seems to be improving his endurance as he had a few good games on the wing. Might Mouse (Malfoy) seems like the type of guy who wants to get the most out of football and will continue to improve.
He has Dylan Moore as a possible mentor and path to follow. His chance is now and I think that he will leave no stone unturned to get the best out of himself. Good luck young man.
So true. I understand he leads not only top speed reached but high speed running distance in game for the season in VFL and AFL. Seen him smash conditioning sessions at training too. Has the endurance for small forward and wing roles. Racks up stats and has impact when up the ground. Looks like a rare combination of Athletic talent and work ethic to me. Big 2023 for saunders

So true. I understand he leads not only top speed reached but high speed running distance in game for the season in VFL and AFL. Seen him smash conditioning sessions at training too. Has the endurance for small forward and wing roles. Racks up stats and has impact when up the ground. Looks like a rare combination of Athletic talent and work ethic to me. Big 2023 for saunders
Even if his skills are average he could be a defensive forward with speed and endurance

The small defender to give Dima a chop out is high on Sam’s agenda. There is hope Morris or Saunders fulfil
the role. An important role.
I think Morris has shown enough to make it in my mind.

Is Saunders being looked at as a small defender, as Seamus (if he makes it) is earmarked to play more of a rebounding role?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back