Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rekon he has had a better year than Walsh. Walsh has been solid without being great like last year. He also has alot more support than Newk. Imagine how good Newk will be when we get quality depth in our midfield and we bat deep. Need Worps to turn it around next year to go along with Ward and McDonald emerging.
Walsh is the victim of his own high standards, he’s still averaging 32 possessions with more clearances, contested possessions and score involvements than Duke. Without his big year last year he’d be getting a huge amount of plaudits.

Once standards are set high that critiquing becomes harsher. Same thing may happen to Duke next year, but he’s also well exceeded expectations at every opportunity.

Walsh is the victim of his own high standards, he’s still averaging 32 possessions with more clearances, contested possessions and score involvements than Duke. Without his big year last year he’d be getting a huge amount of plaudits.

Once standards are set high that critiquing becomes harsher. Same thing may happen to Duke next year, but he’s also well exceeded expectations at every opportunity.
People actually selecting Warner ahead of Walsh 🤣

People actually selecting Warner ahead of Walsh 🤣
Based solely on this year I can see it. Warner’s damage has been off the charts.

Smith vs Walsh is the interesting one for me personally this year. Smith has been pretty erratic with ball in hand but still done slightly more damage than Walsh overall with similar possession numbers. Though Smith has missed 5 games.

Jai been a level below these guys this year but I see a starting spot in the centre with his name on it next year.

Quite interesting to see how coaches (ours and opposition) rate our players this season:

16​
James Sicily (HAW)
48​
24​
Jai Newcombe (HAW)
44​
58​
Dylan Moore (HAW)
28​
66​
Jack Gunston (HAW)
26​
67​
Mitch Lewis (HAW)
26​
116​
Changkuoth Jiath (HAW)
16​
137​
Tom Mitchell (HAW)
15​
144​
Blake Hardwick (HAW)
13​
182​
Jaeger O'Meara (HAW)
10​
200​
Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
8​
203​
Luke Breust (HAW)
8​
212​
Finn Maginness (HAW)
7​
234​
Josh Ward (HAW)
6​
321​
Ned Reeves (HAW)
1​
329​
Will Day (HAW)
1​
So essentially Josh Daicos could receive all 10 coaches votes for the next two matches yet still finish the year behind Duke even if he didn't play. Interesting.

Has anyone else noticed a trend with the Duke recently with blokes targeting him by foot when he is one-on-one? He is positioning himself on the 45 but over the first line of the zone. If he is getting a good match-up, our blokes are recognising the mismatch and kicking it to him. He has to take the contested mark (which he is obviously amazing at because he is so strong) and he seems to be doing it almost every time.

It got me thinking about Sam's game plan and whether this is something he is looking at as the next iteration in the game. Exploiting weak points in zones by winning one-on-ones when you have a talent and size advantage. If you identified the opposition's weak links in their zones and identify your strong one-on-one players (i.e., newk) then you can coach the team to kick to those one-on-ones and know you have a strong % chance of winning it and gaining a huge positional advantage. Players like newk then run around and find those one-on-ones to exploit.

I will be watching for this on the weekend but curious if anyone else has seen this pattern? Or maybe I am just reading into it too much. Who knows>!

Has anyone else noticed a trend with the Duke recently with blokes targeting him by foot when he is one-on-one? He is positioning himself on the 45 but over the first line of the zone. If he is getting a good match-up, our blokes are recognising the mismatch and kicking it to him. He has to take the contested mark (which he is obviously amazing at because he is so strong) and he seems to be doing it almost every time.

It got me thinking about Sam's game plan and whether this is something he is looking at as the next iteration in the game. Exploiting weak points in zones by winning one-on-ones when you have a talent and size advantage. If you identified the opposition's weak links in their zones and identify your strong one-on-one players (i.e., newk) then you can coach the team to kick to those one-on-ones and know you have a strong % chance of winning it and gaining a huge positional advantage. Players like newk then run around and find those one-on-ones to exploit.

I will be watching for this on the weekend but curious if anyone else has seen this pattern? Or maybe I am just reading into it too much. Who knows>!
I’ve definitely been noticing this as well. I feel it’s been a natural continuation of his game and the trust he has built within his teammates.

He was providing the free option out of defence in the first half of the year. As the opposition have started to tighten down on him he hasn’t had the same space. But as he has started winning those contests our defenders have felt more confident going to him.

This synergy we are building between players is the thing that has me most excited for the future.

His overhead marking is so strong. Usually takes it with one touch too. If he could get them a little deeper rather than at the arc he could start hitting the scoreboard more. Not that he has any trouble making the distance with a kick outside 50, but he does sacrifice some accuracy and increases the influence of wind on the kick if he did.

His overhead marking is so strong. Usually takes it with one touch too. If he could get them a little deeper rather than at the arc he could start hitting the scoreboard more. Not that he has any trouble making the distance with a kick outside 50, but he does sacrifice some accuracy and increases the influence of wind on the kick if he did.
I like seeing our players take more shots from longer out. If you get better at scoring from lower percentage shots you force the opposition to defend them which opens up the 50.

I like seeing our players take more shots from longer out. If you get better at scoring from lower percentage shots you force the opposition to defend them which opens up the 50.
I wouldn't mind him taking the shot from there if that's where he takes the mark, but currently he doesn't. He more often looks to hit up a target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point, Sicily is good from long range, should we move him to chf?

Spot on mate. I was at the suns game and it definitely stood out Newcombe was running forward into space and players were looking for him in a marking contest.

It was really noticeable how much confidence the group has in him, that if he's one out they're going to go to him.

A bit of Trac about his ability one out in the air. You just expect him to win it or half it. It's something rare amongst midfielders, and can really elevate him to the absolute elite in time.

In saying that, suns were pretty horrific defensively in the first half, so it will be interesting to look for Sunday as you'd think the Tigers defenders will roll up more.

Last edited:
Continues to impress. What I’ve been most pleased with as we’ve moved Moore, Ward and even Sicily in this last game into the centre Jai has had to switch more from a receiver to being the one getting the ball out.

His contested possessions have shot right up. And although I feel it’s not his natural game he’s handled it admirably and grown into the role.

Hopefully we can get a couple of strong contested players around him so he can play at his most damaging receiving the ball and getting it in long. But it’s good to see him developing.

Impressing every week. We are just taking it for granted as his base level now.
His ability to beat the first tackler is a great attribute to have, especially in finals.

If he has another level or 2 in him, he will be a superstar.

Captain in waiting, or captain ready?
He is currently THE MAN most weeks. Im sure Sam would love to pull the trigger, just how does he sell it to the older blokes. We will probably have to be patient. Jaeger for 1 or 2 year as a filler seems a solid idea. Where does that leave Sis? Very talented but still immature at times.

Impressing every week. We are just taking it for granted as his base level now.
His ability to beat the first tackler is a great attribute to have, especially in finals.

If he has another level or 2 in him, he will be a superstar.

Captain in waiting, or captain ready?
He is currently THE MAN most weeks. Im sure Sam would love to pull the trigger, just how does he sell it to the older blokes. We will probably have to be patient. Jaeger for 1 or 2 year as a filler seems a solid idea. Where does that leave Sis? Very talented but still immature at times.
From what I saw on the weekend it's Sicily as captain over JOM.

For me personally JOM has an alarming habit of going completely missing in big matches (been happening for a while not just this year) which is not a trait a captain can possess.

Sicily on the other hand seems to thrive when the stakes are high in front of a big crowd (think of the Geelong match earlier this year). And honestly I think the whole "Sicily is immature" comments are overblown, he is actually our most reliable performer.

I'd give Sicily the role for 3 yeas with the view to transitioning Jai into the role at the end of Sis tenure.

Can’t help but feel that if Rowell or Anderson were pushing off players, stepping through them and bringing down ruckman in tackles that the commentator would get a bit more excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back