Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Newk is already our second best player after Sicily. Will be a premiership captain without doubt.
I love him but too early to say 2nd best. Let’s see how he goes with more opposition attention.

I think he’s good enough and inside enough to learn how to deal with it but it won’t happen immediately.

Who do you reckon is our second best player?
Really good question.

Ok so maybe I agree he is our second best player this year to date, but I think when the oppo heat comes on fully his impact will reduce.

He is the barometer of a weak midfield - as a young inexperienced player he is probably very taggable so I’m surprised it’s not happening more.

In reality we should hope this happens - quicker it does, the quicker he finds a way to still have an impact when being tagged.

We need a Sheezel AND Hewett type.
I would love to see us persevere with Day as well.
Nash will make it.
Jai needs more than one or two in support, we need a multi pronged midfield with plenty of options.
Day needs to stay in the backline for now. Just got to get him thru another season or two playing more games than he misses.

I believe Sir William Day should play wing.
There is no need to challenge him to change roles yet. You could see when he went into the midfield a few weeks he was trying to do new things and he was putting himself in situations where he was getting crunched. His challenge is getting on the park and staying on the park. He needs to find balance at the level as to how to protect himself and not play with reckless abandon and defence is the most familiar so leave him there.

There is no need to challenge him to change roles yet. You could see when he went into the midfield a few weeks he was trying to do new things and he was putting himself in situations where he was getting crunched. His challenge is getting on the park and staying on the park. He needs to find balance at the level as to how to protect himself and not play with reckless abandon and defence is the most familiar so leave him there.
He's listed to play wing. Also, when I say this, I want to see him play that half-back/wing role he played last year against GWS. I thought he was B.O.G that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's listed to play wing. Also, when I say this, I want to see him play that half-back/wing role he played last year against GWS. I thought he was B.O.G that day.
You mean 'Timmy O'Brien Day'?

Yeah, he played OK, but not in the same league as The Great One!

Closest thing we've had to Hodge in the middle since Hodge was in the middle. This bloke just wills the ball forward with every fibre in his body. Anyone who watches closely will see it, where as those who just look at stat sheets won't. Another pre-season at his current trajectory... watch out.

Closest thing we've had to Hodge in the middle since Hodge was in the middle. This bloke just wills the ball forward with every fibre in his body. Anyone who watches closely will see it, where as those who just look at stat sheets won't. Another pre-season at his current trajectory... watch out.

It's an interesting point. A drizzly Sunday morning has me wondering back to when James Worpel came onto the scene and we couldn't believe how good he was playing for a pick in the 40s.
I pulled the stats for Worpel vs Newcombe at the same age from footy wire. Statistically they aren't that different. Metres gained the standout. But by averages very similar.
But it does 'feel' like Newcomb is playing better than Worpel from when he started. And I really hope Jai keeps getting better.
Food for thought!

Attachments

• WORPSVSJAI.jpg
    WORPSVSJAI.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 75

Love the comparison! Similar style to 2005 Hodge playing in the middle.

Last edited:
It's an interesting point. A drizzly Sunday morning has me wondering back to when James Worpel came onto the scene and we couldn't believe how good he was playing for a pick in the 40s.
I pulled the stats for Worpel vs Newcombe at the same age from footy wire. Statistically they aren't that different. Metres gained the standout. But by averages very similar.
But it does 'feel' like Newcomb is playing better than Worpel from when he started. And I really hope Jai keeps getting better.
Food for thought!
Really all that shows is how disappointing Worpel’s regression has been.

Food for thought!
That year was in the shortened quarters of 2020. This comparison is of Worps when he was a year younger than duke is now. Duke wins meters gained still but not much else. Worps started like a house on fire. Shows his massive regression this year though.

Attachments

• 515D4063-7386-4634-848D-D343B8ABCF1F.jpeg
    515D4063-7386-4634-848D-D343B8ABCF1F.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 64
That tackle on Serong was gold. Newk brings perceived pressure to the table big time …….. combining with Nash!
Has that tackle on Serong been spoken about? The commentators were stunned as was I Did they call it a dangerous tackle and if so on what basis?
The Rugby fans would be laughing their heads off

Has that tackle on Serong been spoken about? The commentators were stunned as was I Did they call it a dangerous tackle and if so on what basis?
The Rugby fans would be laughing their heads off
Not one commentator understood that umpire decision …….. they all thought it was legit! Reading Newk’s face he was confused as well.

Not one commentator understood that umpire decision …….. they all thought it was legit! Reading Newk’s face he was confused as well.
im very surprised that more people arent talking about that tackle. If it wasnt legal then isnt it important for players to understand why so they can taclke accordingly. Can anyone tell me at what time it happened in the game so I can see it agaain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back