Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Hands down the most promising first year midfielder we have drafted since Shane Crawford. Jordan Lewis had a very solid first year but Worpel seems to have more party tricks and X factor.
Shirley, you jest.

Got caught out a few times last night, but was taking the game on and the good thing about him is that he doesn’t drop his head and go missing when things don’t go his way.

Seems to have great character. As he gets used to the game, expect he will be caught less.

Three 20+ games in a row.

Hopefully as we get players back, he stays.

The thing that I admired about Worpel tonight was his behaviour when things didn’t go his way. He was pissed and angry on a few occasions and kept striving harder compared to other 5 game players that worry about what to do next. He is special.
He has a good level of campaigner in him. The truly great players do, so I really hope we develop that and focus it.

We have a serious player on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At one point in Saturday's game there was a centre square stoppage. As the ball bounced out towards Worpel he could see it was coming towards him. Rather than run at the ball he ran away from it, reached back with one arm, collected the ball and reeled it in and he already had a couple of steps on the man marking him.

It was a simple move that oozed class.

He already has good decision making in close, clean hands and incredible balance. This kid really could be anything. The only knock seems to be his tendency to throw it on the boot when he may have time, but that hasn't stopped Dangerfield.

"Worpel, who slipped to No.45 in the 2017 AFL draft, has delivered for his coach in spades. Since returning to the side in round 18 he is ranked second at the club for disposals, handballs and hardball gets, third for contested possessions and handball-receives, fourth for tackles and equal ninth for effective kicks."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...close-hawks-midfield-gap-20180902-p5019a.html
Didn't get a single vote in the Rising Star award:rolleyes:

Disposals 22.8
Contested 9.0
Clearances 3.1
Marks 4.0
Tackles 4.1
Goals 0.5
Goal Assist 1.0
Inside 50 4.6
Last 6 weeks*

Amazing numbers for a first year player, what a beast.

Last edited:
Didn't get a single vote in the Rising Star award:rolleyes:

Disposals 22.8
Contested 9.0
Clearances 3.1
Marks 4.0
Tackles 4.1
Goals 0.5
Goal Assist 1.0
Inside 50 4.6
Last 6 weeks*

Amazing numbers for a first year player, what a beast.
Yet someone gave a vote to Aaron Francis lol

Not too worried. Everyone knows he is a gun.

That's what got me I'm fine with Worpel not getting a vote from the small sample size but Francis really? 2 Good games in 3 years is enough for a vote apparently.

Don’t be so surprised, Essendon mafia lobbied hard for McGrath to win the bloody thing last year. FWIW, I think Francis will become a gun if he can manage his off field issues though.

Re rising star, it has always been a joke since Cyril wasn’t good enough to win, Rhys Palmer .....

Don’t be so surprised, Essendon mafia lobbied hard for McGrath to win the bloody thing last year. FWIW, I think Francis will become a gun if he can manage his off field issues though.

Re rising star, it has always been a joke since Cyril wasn’t good enough to win, Rhys Palmer .

I concur this lost all credibility after this!!

Re rising star, it has always been a joke since Cyril wasn’t good enough to win, Rhys Palmer .....

The kids a gun in the making for sure and potential future captain of the club.

Rising star is a joke - remember Lewy Taylor won it in the year of the Bont (now skip of the 22 under 22 side...no Lewy in that side!!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back