Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. Jaeger will be a better player than Worpel, period, IMO. Especially with Mitchell coming back and taking the pressure off him.

The only way what you say becomes a reality is if Jaeger is hobbled by injuries.
Very bullish on Worpel. Personally, think due to jagers injury his training and load management has impacted his long term development. Not saying he won't be better for Mitchell in the team but the upside and growth to worpel will continue and S.Mitchell will drive it.

Extremely good problem to have and fingers crossed no more LTI to the midfield group as it impacts with long term cohesion.

Today listening to SEN, Plough had to rate his top 3 players under 50 games. He had Tim Kelly at 1 and Worps at 2. The thing I admire about Worpel ..... he is already a beast. He is one of those players that if you put the ball between him and someone else, take my hat off to the other bloke if he gets it first. As we know this trait is so important in finals and especially on the biggest day of all. Also seems to have a great attitude always trying to get better and seen often with Sammy probably picking his brains. Over preseason he shed some weight and tried to build his tank in only his second preseason. A leader who does it with his actions we have a good one here 👍

Love that Goddard gets tagged re Worpel 100s of times a day. Especially after big games.

Will happen for years

And he has responded to that by calling hawthorn supporters overly sensitive and then saying he thinks Worpel will never be a matchwinner like Bontempelli, Fyfe and Dangerfield.

I can't be bothered but should ask him how he compares Worpel's progression to that crab that Essendond selected at number one.

Worpel runs/moves like Mitchell this year.

I might be seeing things, but the influence is clear to me.

Next year could be the Chas year. Calling it now

Totally agree that Worps is a lot fitter this year and getting heaps of the ball. Amazing for such a young player.

The only thing left to do to get to the next level (IMO) is to be more damaging with his disposals.

And he has the master of that art coaching him!

And he has responded to that by calling hawthorn supporters overly sensitive and then saying he thinks Worpel will never be a matchwinner like Bontempelli, Fyfe and Dangerfield.

I can't be bothered but should ask him how he compares Worpel's progression to that crab that Essendond selected at number one.
another thing that will bite him

Worpel runs/moves like Mitchell this year.

I might be seeing things, but the influence is clear to me.

Next year could be the Chas year. Calling it now
I've also seen Jaeger do some very Sammy things especially with kicks

I've also seen Jaeger do some very Sammy things especially with kicks

It's the hips I think. I loved the way Sam would create space with hip movement, arching his back etc just to get the extra fraction to place a kick. Both Worpel and JOM are getting good at creating space in exactly that manner.

Going under the radar but I also think Sicily is showing a lot of 'Sam' in the way he just slows things down enough to pick out the best opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worpel won't be winning any brownlow with Mitchell, O'Meara and a fit Wingard (should he play midfield) in the team.
Mitchell won one with Hodge Lewis Sewell Franklin Roughead Gunston Burgoyne Rioli in the team
Just sayin'

Yeh, I like how after being called out for saying something stupid, he doubled down and clarified it with a comment that is in no way related to his initial point. Then tried to make out we were the idiots for not realizing that. Classic BJ, saying the wrong thing and pointing the finger at someone else.

Yeh, I like how after being called out for saying something stupid, he doubled down and clarified it with a comment that is in no way related to his initial point. Then tried to make out we were the idiots for not realizing that. Classic BJ, saying the wrong thing and pointing the finger at someone else.

Correct - his second comment shows the ego is so big that he can't accept how stupid his first comment was. Unless he means he saw a match winner emerging from the handful of games that Worpel (a pick in the 40s) played in his first season. Yeah, didn't think so. If he wants anyone to take him seriously he needs to stop making stupid statements. Cause there is plenty of other media attention seekers that he can be ignored with.

Last edited:
Mitchell won one with Hodge Lewis Sewell Franklin Roughead Gunston Burgoyne Rioli in the team
Just sayin'
To be fair it's a midfielders award and in the last decade it's especially favourable to those who get a lot of the ball. Most of those guys either played primarily as forwards or spent large periods playing off half back.

Sam was a ball magnet who could win it himself and had elite disposal (often rare for an inside player). Sewell's disposal wasn't anywhere near as good and Lewis spent quite a bit of time playing stints in the forward line. Lewis did go pretty well himself in 2014 but Sam missed half the season with injury.

To be fair it's a midfielders award and in the last decade it's especially favourable to those who get a lot of the ball. Most of those guys either played primarily as forwards or spent large periods playing off half back.

Sam was a ball magnet who could win it himself and had elite disposal (often rare for an inside player). Sewell's disposal wasn't anywhere near as good and Lewis spent quite a bit of time playing stints in the forward line. Lewis did go pretty well himself in 2014 but Sam missed half the season with injury.
Yes, it is a midfielder's award these days. BUT, any player in the side who can attract a vote from the umpires makes it more difficult for the key mid to win. Who has won recently? And who had a host of teammates poll well taking votes from them?

Since Ablett's 2009 win, only Mitchell and Dangerfield had considerable competition from within, whether they are midfielders or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back