Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Josh Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

If Morris can hold down a spot as a half back flanker in the best 22, then it might allow Day or Bramble to play on the wing.
Sicily, Scrimshaw, CJ, Impey, TO'B & DGB should do that though, right?

Sicily, Scrimshaw, CJ, Impey, TO'B & DGB should do that though, right?

There’s strong competition down back with a stack of small/medium defenders competing for those spots. Some of them will be squeezed out of the back six. It’s a good problem to have.

Its a good problem to have. Morris looked a completely different player once we switched him back.
Many of our HBF options are running types.
Morris' weapon is his intercept marking & offensive kicking - he might be our Guerra/Suckling.
Other than Sicily/Scrimshaw, few offer elite kicking out of defence.

I could well see CJ and Impey pushed up the field.
Day will play behind the ball and roll up to stoppages.

There's a spot for Morris if he continues his improvement.
He looks quite special in defence.

I can see his transition to defence is more about him finding some touch and working on his defensive side of the game. Once he gets confidence and develops defensive side he will play on a forward flank being a link up player that pushes forward like Hannan did last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can see his transition to defence is more about him finding some touch and working on his defensive side of the game. Once he gets confidence and develops defensive side he will play on a forward flank being a link up player that pushes forward like Hannan did last night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah he looks way better as a defender. Like naturally.

With his switch to defense looking highly promising coupled with his proven forward capabilities as a junior player, I am hoping that he could perhaps become a genuine AFL swingman

You don't play established players out of position to add a rookie.
He needs to play wing/half forward or he'll be the next Greaves.
Greaves' problem wasn't just Hawthorn's depth in his position. His potential 'weapon' at VFL level was his ability to blanket opposition smalls while providing competent drive out of defense. Unfortunately at AFL level this year he was a mile off being able to do that. If he kept Rankine, Betts and other out of the game, he'd still be on the list. Unfortunately he made 9 spoils across his 6 games and was often left trailing his opponent.

Some of the kicks and flying intercept marks Morris was able to pull off behind the ball were things Greaves could never do. And they were traits that weren't coming through when Morris was playing forward. He'll likely make it there or not at all imo.

Morris is a natural defender. Reads it unbelievably and has some flair, kicks well and adds xfactor. But can blanket and opposition player and is a natural competitor. A taller Dimma.

Firstly, Morris isn't a rookie.

Secondly, players are played in positions that most benefit / optimise team balance and performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Morris (22 disposals, 8 marks, 5 tackles)​

“Tank had the job this weekend on Tippa from Essendon, who is a really strong player for them. He did a great job keeping him very quiet and no influence on the game. But most pleasingly Josh was able to find his fair share of the ball as well. He had 22 touches, which is a great effort whilst doing a defensive shutdown role. He used the ball well and looked really solid down in defence. He’s in great form for us at the moment, a really reliable defender.”

Josh Morris (22 disposals, 8 marks, 5 tackles)​

“Tank had the job this weekend on Tippa from Essendon, who is a really strong player for them. He did a great job keeping him very quiet and no influence on the game. But most pleasingly Josh was able to find his fair share of the ball as well. He had 22 touches, which is a great effort whilst doing a defensive shutdown role. He used the ball well and looked really solid down in defence. He’s in great form for us at the moment, a really reliable defender.”
That’s a very encouraging feedback.

We are well stocked for rebounding flankers, but not so much for tight checking defenders that can blanket dangerous small forwards, so I hope we persist with Josh and give him a run in the seniors at some stage this year.

Is Morris a defender first then can attack? Have not seen much of him
But if his kicking is good would help one of the other boys move up the ground

Is Morris a defender first then can attack? Have not seen much of him
But if his kicking is good would help one of the other boys move up the ground
Reminds me a lot of Dimma when he first came in tbh.
Learned to defend first due to him being a massive hard nut, but is now learning and getting experience taking the kick on and running the ball by foot.

Morris is one of the players that makes me think that Mitchell has got some crazy secret game-changing game plan that he's building towards with how we've recruited.

Reminds me a lot of Dimma when he first came in tbh.
Learned to defend first due to him being a massive hard nut, but is now learning and getting experience taking the kick on and running the ball by foot.

Morris is one of the players that makes me think that Mitchell has got some crazy secret game-changing game plan that he's building towards with how we've recruited.
I reckon he has pushed everyone to kick on their opposite foot in game, doesn’t care about the errors yet but is using it is a kpi, if we can slowly but surely have really strong kicks across every line it will make a huge difference

Unless injured, he should be given an opportunity to play the rest of the season. Could be his Dylan Moore moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back