Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

If we have meek/Rama/Chol in the team we really could outwork the opposing ruck team and be a point of difference to every other side. It really could be the best secondary ruck combo in the comp. If meek can halve his contests with the oppositions main ruck and we learn how to take advantage with the second ruck combo and cash in that would be awesome.
Chol is very capable in the ruck and Ramma is developing nicely as well.

I like that combo as well 👍

Witts will be a good challenge for Meek. A big physical ruck with height.

Very much this. I think people should set their expectations carefully ahead of this week for Meek.

Witts last weekend absolutely belted Briggs in the ruck, and Briggs is the best young ruck in the league, and prior to last week, probably top 3-4 for average performance since he debuted last season. Briggs still had presence around the ground, but it felt like Witts had ascendancy.

If Meek could have some good hitouts to advantage + some presence around the ground, then that's a win. Witts when at home, is just an absolute monster in the ruck.

Chol is very capable in the ruck and Ramma is developing nicely as well.

I like that combo as well 👍

I feel like Chol being in the side, gives even more reason for Ramma to develop with the seniors.

If Ramma is tiring or the match up is bad in the ruck for him, having Chol as a ready-made ruck swap is super helpful. Just takes the pressure off a little if he's getting ripped apart in the ruck, and Ramma really impressed me just from how much he covered the ground and offered relieving marks in the backline.

Very much this. I think people should set their expectations carefully ahead of this week for Meek.

Witts last weekend absolutely belted Briggs in the ruck, and Briggs is the best young ruck in the league, and prior to last week, probably top 3-4 for average performance since he debuted last season. Briggs still had presence around the ground, but it felt like Witts had ascendancy.

If Meek could have some good hitouts to advantage + some presence around the ground, then that's a win. Witts when at home, is just an absolute monster in the ruck.
I doubt anyone here think Meek can dominate Witts and Briggs the way he did against the Pies.

But as long as he keeps Witts honest in the hit outs and keeps contributing around the ground (especially stoppages) he will have done his job.

Has Ned seriously tumbled from #1 to #4 in barely 3 months?
Either Reeves is No 1 ruck or he doesn't play at all. He doesn't have the ability to play forward the way Ramma and Chol do.

And what I have seen the last two weeks he is a long way behind Meek as an all round ruck so yes in essence he has kinda slipped back that far.

Has Ned seriously tumbled from #1 to #4 in barely 3 months?
Ever since the Carlton game where Silvagni did a number on both our rucks I've been in the camp of 1 pure ruck (Meek/Reeves) with a mobile ruck type (Kosi last year and now Ramma).

If we have meek/Rama/Chol in the team we really could outwork the opposing ruck team and be a point of difference to every other side. It really could be the best secondary ruck combo in the comp. If meek can halve his contests with the oppositions main ruck and we learn how to take advantage with the second ruck combo and cash in that would be awesome.
And Meek never need venture forward of Centre.

Preserves his energy & gives him plenty of time to set up for the opposition rebounding from our F50m.

#1 Ruck + Rambo + Chol (+ Lewis) was my hope leading into the Season, but I figured it would be Reeves as #1 Ruck.

No way is this to say that Reeves can't be the guy but Rounds 1-2 v 3-4 suggest Meek is in better form & holds that role, for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn and Goldstein vs a first gamer and Darcy Cameron in the wet. A fair comparison.

Gawn and Goldstein vs a first gamer and Darcy Cameron in the wet. A fair comparison.
Yep.

This needs to be taken into account. Lloyd is rightfully in the #1 slot at the moment - but his challenge will be to play his role effectively against better direct opposition.

Starts this week. 👍

We look a lot better with Meek if we want to run with 2 ruckman Reeves doesn’t get back in I think it’s Meek and Ramsden look more athletic as a pair.

Hey hawks fans. Do we think Meek will hold his spot or it will be a play 3 or 4, give reeves a go in and out type set up.
It's for my supercoach, so me supporting meek would mean cheering a part of hawthorn.

Hey hawks fans. Do we think Meek will hold his spot or it will be a play 3 or 4, give reeves a go in and out type set up.
It's for my supercoach, so me supporting meek would mean cheering a part of hawthorn.
Holding Mel Gibson GIF

Our clearance game has been better since Meek's inclusion.

Witts a good test.

Meek offering more than Reeves was, but this is a fluid spot so needs to keep developing. 18 disp last week was good. Would be handy if he popped up for a goal a game

Our mids have been much better since Meek has come into the team because Reeves can be a bit predictable with oppo mids roving his taps. He’s also been a beast after the ruck contest (something Reeves has to work on). Obviously needs a few more marks around the ground but he’s progressing nicely.
Reeves will get another crack this year no doubt and when we are seriously contending in 2-3 years, both our ruckman will be in their prime at 27-28 years of age. It’s going to be perfect

Our mids have been much better since Meek has come into the team because Reeves can be a bit predictable with oppo mids roving his taps. He’s also been a beast after the ruck contest (something Reeves has to work on). Obviously needs a few more marks around the ground but he’s progressing nicely.
Reeves will get another crack this year no doubt and when we are seriously contending in 2-3 years, both our ruckman will be in their prime at 27-28 years of age. It’s going to be perfect
It has been mentioned above somewhere in the thread that it was Goldy and Gawn (Reeves) versus Conway and Cox (Meek).

Thats taking nothing away from Meek who was very good. The next month is where Meek will show his true value coming up against Witts, Grundy, English and Marshall with only Xerri next week not considered an established ruckman. Win some of those or even halve them, and it will be his to hold onto.

Blaming Reeves for our mids' poor form is a bit much. Oppo weren't sharking his taps, our mids were fumbley and lacked defensive pressure when the hit out was lost.

Meek related but was Ned Reeves concussed in the vfl yesterday, saw he didn't play 2nd half. Also meek copped a big knee to ribs, played in but sat the last 15 mins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back