Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Which is why Dimma playing as that 3rd tall at times could be a real winner. Great on the lead, has an excellent mark, excellent defensive pressure and hates losing. Heppell or McGrath line up on Dimma and we win that match up hands down. Still a lot to play out between now and round 1 with the intra club in a few weeks, followed by the Match simulation against the Bulldogs and then the pre season game against them.
Obviously Hardwick is a great defender when playing in defence, not sure that will necessarily translate to having great defensive pressure as a forward (ie won’t play like Puopolo). I see him more like Campbell brown defensive style as others have said but providing a far greater goal threat as a lead up forward.

Defensive pressure in the forward line is not just about the forwards. We have a midfield with excellent aerobic/running capacity. I think we will be looking to get numbers to forward line contests to apply extra pressure on rebounding defenders and not depend exclusively on our forwards to keep possession.

For this reason Gunston will cause headaches. He'll actually get a s**t defender and make him look silly. Picture him one-out with Heppell or McGrath in R1. Yes please.

I think your expectations of this version of Gunston are a bit out, we haven’t really seen him do this for a while for us or Brisbane.

I think your expectations of this version of Gunston are a bit out, we haven’t really seen him do this for a while for us or Brisbane.
That is plain wrong. In 2022 he kicked 32 goals from 16 games, including two bags of 5, one of 4 and three of 3. He had a leaner year with the Lions but still managed a bag of 6 against the West Coast,

If 100% fit, I've still got full confidence in him.
I don't think Brisbane used him well, crowded forward line without much space, and Gunston wasn't often the first priority when going for a target. In an interview about why he came back Gunston said something like "yeah its about family, weighing up retirement, but also how the two teams play (Brisbane and Hawthorn)"... which to me confirmed that they weren't really utilising Jack well in their packed forward 6. I don't think can ignore last year, but also don't think it is wise to write him off, Hawthorn and Jack think he has more football left in him than some might be expecting.

Last edited:
Gunston wasn't often the first priority

.. which to me confirmed that they weren't really utilising Jack well in their packed forward 6
Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, Rayner, Ah Chee.

That’s 7 players performing better than Gunston when it mattered. He couldn’t break back into their forward line once injured - and that’s one of the main reasons he left. It clearly wasn’t going to get easier in 2024.

If we genuinely think our “new” forward line is the way of the future, he may be equally frustrated in 2024.

I don't think Brisbane used him well, crowded forward line without much space, and Gunston wasn't often the first priority when going for a target. In an interview about why he came back Gunston said something like "yeah its about family, weighing up retirement, but also how the two teams play (Brisbane and Hawthorn)"... which to me confirmed that they weren't really utilising Jack well in their packed forward 6. I don't think can ignore last year, but also don't think it is wise to write him off, Hawthorn and Jack think he has more football left in him than some might be expecting.
One of our assistant coach’s would text Gunners after watching Brisbane games and tell him how many times he was ignored and should have been used. Bris valued deep F50 entries over anything else.

"I feel like we've been working really well together in training. Mitch had a slow start before Christmas but is now back into full training with me. I feel like we're bouncing off each other, communicating really well and I feel like our relationship is only going to get stronger the longer we work together," he said.

"We've got two really experienced players in Jack Gunston and Luke Breust who can provide that real level head. Jack Ginnivan has slotted in well. I feel like we've got a great relationship as a group and it's only going to get better as the season goes on."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You love to hear it. I had big questions about him after his slow start, but great to see him slowly tracking in the right direction!
Same. I didn’t realise he was dealing with a PCL recovery though.

He’s saying all the right things though. Hopefully his hard work sees results.

Few oppo supporters implying that there must be some issues being moved on from two clubs or that he doesn’t get along with Hardwick blah blah ……. article cleary shows his moves were due to a lack of opportunity at both Tigers (behind Riewoldt and Lynch) and GC (with Jed Walter arriving, Lukosius and King)!

From watching him a few times over summer he’s putting in a very solid preseason. Looks great. Time for you to shine Maboir☝️

Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, McCarthy, Bailey, Rayner, Ah Chee.

That’s 7 players performing better than Gunston when it mattered. He couldn’t break back into their forward line once injured - and that’s one of the main reasons he left. It clearly wasn’t going to get easier in 2024.

If we genuinely think our “new” forward line is the way of the future, he may be equally frustrated in 2024.
When it mattered?

Jack plays the GF, Brisbane win that game.

Few oppo supporters implying that there must be some issues being moved on from two clubs or that he doesn’t get along with Hardwick blah blah ……. article cleary shows his moves were due to a lack of opportunity at both Tigers (behind Riewoldt and Lynch) and GC (with Jed Walter arriving, Lukosius and King)!

From watching him a few times over summer he’s putting in a very solid preseason. Looks great. Time for you to shine Maboir☝️
Personally think he’s going to be huge for our forward line and how others can impact, regardless of how many marks he takes or goals he kicks.
Our smalls will enjoy getting around him.

"I feel like we've been working really well together in training. Mitch had a slow start before Christmas but is now back into full training with me. I feel like we're bouncing off each other, communicating really well and I feel like our relationship is only going to get stronger the longer we work together," he said.

"We've got two really experienced players in Jack Gunston and Luke Breust who can provide that real level head. Jack Ginnivan has slotted in well. I feel like we've got a great relationship as a group and it's only going to get better as the season goes on."
Oh Yeah GIF by Leroy Patterson

When it mattered?

Jack plays the GF, Brisbane win that game.
Exactly. And actually, only three players averaged more goals per game than Gunston at the Lions last year… Daniher, Charlie Cameron and Hipwood. So if you go by goals per game, he was the fourth best forward. Not bad for an old bloke :)

Let’s face it - he is an upgrade on Kosi at least. Anything more is pleasing
I think the upgrade from Kossie whilst not huge is considerably a better fit for the club. Mabior is good once the ball hits the turf and can also take a grab but most importantly of all he kicks the goals he should where as Kossie misses some sitters from 30m out. Mabior is a very unselfish player that likes to look for teammates in a better postion than himself and is great at hitting them up with short kicks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back