Where to for england?

Remove this Banner Ad

Drop Cook and Broad make them earn selection in county cricket again. Seems like once you manage to get into the English team its a job for life.

Move Root to open, he's generally good for a 50 and they need some solid starts with Bairstow in at 4.

Cook has never had a patch until now where he’s needed to go and earn his spot. He’s earned it through his test efforts. It’s still only 6 tests since he hit a double century and he hit an 80 and a 70 I think in the series before that against SA.

Broad averaged low 30s against SA and WI. Not exactly awful.

It sets a dangerous precedent - arguably as dangerous as being unstoppable - to start dropping proven players on one bad series.

Cook has never had a patch until now where he’s needed to go and earn his spot. He’s earned it through his test efforts. It’s still only 6 tests since he hit a double century and he hit an 80 and a 70 I think in the series before that against SA.

Broad averaged low 30s against SA and WI. Not exactly awful.

It sets a dangerous precedent - arguably as dangerous as being unstoppable - to start dropping proven players on one bad series.

Broad has a bowling average of 39.50 this year and seems to have lost his pace completely. Its not the conditions. These conditions used to suit him. Its not lack of heart, Broad used to be full of it.
Yes his low 30s at home wasn't exactly awful but a younger quick could have matched that and imo at the moment Broad isn't going to be lasting longer than Anderson so better to let Overton/Wood etc have a go while Anderson is still around.

As for Cook. This is another failure against a quality pace attack.
In the last 24 months he has played 14 tests outside of England and averages 33.
Yes that is probably good enough to keep him in the team. But does England benefit from that or could someone younger actual fill that role?

Once you decide guys are undroppable because of their name its very easy to stay mediocre. One dead cat bounce against the Windies at home means very little.

Out: Overton (Inj), Ali
In: Curran, Crane

Broad and Cook arguably deserve to go, but who comes in? Ball is average, Garton is speculative and Mark Wood isn't fit. Keaton Jennings is the obvious replacement for Cook, but has been just as inconsistent.

What they should do next game:

Vince/Cook
Stoneman
Root
Malan
Bairstow
Woakes
Foakes (+)
Curran
Wood
Crane
Anderson

Gives the attack some variety, with a leftie, a genuine quick, a leggie as well as Anerson/Woakes

I'd also point out that the English limited over team is unquestionably very good at the moment. And one of the things they did there is move on the older players who were previously still doing just enough to never get dropped.
Hasn't Morgan defected back to Ireland? If so, who will be their #4? And if it is Billings as I'd suspect, who takes his position at 6?

On another forum i'm a member of, some England fans are calling for Bayliss to go. I wonder what people here think of Bayliss. The common complaint is that issues prevalent when he was appointed are still there now. I would have offered the job to Dizzy two years ago personally.

On another forum i'm a member of, some England fans are calling for Bayliss to go. I wonder what people here think of Bayliss. The common complaint is that issues prevalent when he was appointed are still there now. I would have offered the job to Dizzy two years ago personally.

He's fixed their limited overs side and I think the selection panel as a whole is failing them.

They'e completely ****ed up their attack and its because 1. Broad is Broad so he has to play and then 2. Woakes did well in England so has to play and 3. Ali has done well elsewhere so he will be our main spinner here even though Australians eat offies for breakfast at home.
So three of their five bowlers are guys who shouldn't be playing (maybe Woakes can play for experience) and they don't have anyone for the conditions.

That can't just be Bayliss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

simple ratings this tour
✭✭✭✭✭ malan
✭✭✭✭ bairstow, stoneman, overton
✭✭✭ vince
✭✭ root, woakes, anderson
✭ cook, ali, broad

simple ratings this tour
✭✭✭✭✭ malan
✭✭✭✭ bairstow, stoneman, overton
✭✭✭ vince
✭✭ root, woakes, anderson
✭ cook, ali, broad

Tough on Anderson. He hasn’t been amazing but he’s averaging 25 against a batting line up that has been far more effective than his own

The problem is that most of their bowlers are very same-same. 130's, swing the ball, lack of penetration, and basically all right handers.

I have no idea why Reece Topley hasn't been selected for tests yet. 200cm left armer who swings it both ways.

Because he's injured every five minutes and his skillset is much better suited to the shorter formats.

I think it's Plunkett and Wood who they needed as cover on this tour, Broad's ineptness in this series comes as a bit of a surprise given he's done (reasonably) well in Australia in the past but right now he just looks unselectable. Having said that I would like to see Curran get a go and see what he's got even if there is an element of throwing him to the wolves.

I also don't think it was an unreasonable call backing Cook in to come good and play a role in the Ashes, but after three tests it's looking like his ship may well have sailed too.

Up to Australia now to go over to England next Ashes series and win in their conditions.

Then I will praise the selectors but congrats to them for getting the urn back in such quick fashion.

Anderson,Malan and maybe Bairstow were the only real contributors in this English team.

Australia didn't really need a very strong squad at home.

Our bowlers were superb though ,Smith brilliant with the bat and leadership.

The rest you could interchange,maybe keep the Marsh brothers on current form.

I think the selectors went with a team that gelled together rather than going for the best in a few spots.

Richmond have done the same even though many players have grown in stature,the chemistry factor is a huge thing these days.

The old saying a champion team will always beat a team of champions though you couldn't put that label on England at the mo.

Enjoying an ice cold Bundaberg Ginger Beer to celebrate the return of the Ashes,you bloody bonza!

Last edited:
Will Overton be okay with his rib?

Real shame about Overton's injury the kid has ticker and I love his effort there is a lot to like about him going forward.
IMO he has a bright future in Test cricket.

Is it worth dropping Cook down the order to find some form? Poor bloke just seems to be copping absolute peaches every new ball.

How were his dismissals this test “peaches”?

First innings just missed a half volley should have driven four four.

2nd innings chipped back a regular length ball back to the bowler.

How were his dismissals this test “peaches”?

First innings just missed a half volley should have driven four four.

2nd innings chipped back a regular length ball back to the bowler.

I just mean maybe its worth him coming in with a relatively older ball. Might actually hit a couple to get his confidence back up again.

I just mean maybe its worth him coming in with a relatively older ball. Might actually hit a couple to get his confidence back up again.

He’s opened for 15 years if he ain’t getting runs there he won’t anywhere else. Plus England have no other openers anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back