Prediction Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

Where will Carlton finish in 2019?

• 16th

Votes: 74 16.1%
  • 17th

Votes: 165 35.9%
  • 18th

Votes: 221 48.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are completely enigmatic at the moment. Aside from the Bulldogs game, we usually play 30 minutes of really strong footy and a lot of any game scrambling to keep things together. It's just not going to be sustainable, and I think teams are starting to work out if we can't score quickly we have real trouble re-finding any momentum. If you are an opposition coach you'd be happy turning the game into a slogfest and grinding us down.

Luckily though we have beaten some decent teams and haven't played many of this years current bottom 5. Still have Hawthorn, Adelaide, Sydney and Fremantle, which I expect we would start favourites in.

They haven’t improved significantly vs the rest of the competition in 2020.

So far this year, Cripps, Murphy, Jones and Walsh have regressed vs 2019. Walsh gets a pass - second year blues are common and his first year was out of the box. Cripps also had a mighty 2019 and is looking merely mortal.

Simpsons had a great career but not providing much now. Jones takes the best forward and is getting beaten often. They need to find a longer term replacement.

Martin and Betts have improved the side, but the latter is a short term prospect. Docherty back has improved the defence from a rebounding perspective. Weitering has improved and fans should be pleased. Gibbons is a foot soldier and should continue to contribute. McKay is getting games and showing signs.

Pittonett is a short term solution.We have probably seen the best of Kruezer unfortunately. I’m not sure if Newnes is providing enough to keep a youngster like LOB, Stocker, Dow, Philp from getting games put into them.

Guys like Cuningham, Kennedy, SPS, Setterfield aren’t improving at the rate fans would have hoped.

Are they being played out of position or just not as what fans think they are?

So far this year, Cripps, Murphy, Jones and Walsh have regressed vs 2019. Walsh gets a pass - second year blues are common and his first year was out of the box. Cripps also had a mighty 2019 and is looking merely mortal.

Simpsons had a great career but not providing much now. Jones takes the best forward and is getting beaten often. They need to find a longer term replacement.

Martin and Betts have improved the side, but the latter is a short term prospect. Docherty back has improved the defence from a rebounding perspective. Weitering has improved and fans should be pleased. Gibbons is a foot soldier and should continue to contribute. McKay is getting games and showing signs.

Pittonett is a short term solution.We have probably seen the best of Kruezer unfortunately. I’m not sure if Newnes is providing enough to keep a youngster like LOB, Stocker, Dow, Philp from getting games put into them.

Guys like Cuningham, Kennedy, SPS, Setterfield aren’t improving at the rate fans would have hoped.

Can’t argue with any of that except Setterfield has been one of our best this year. Was absent aside from a strong first quarter yesterday though.

We will miss Jones, Murphy and Simpson far less than we think, and they are often the worst offenders when it comes to making basic skill errors.

Can’t argue with any of that except Setterfield has been one of our best this year. Was absent aside from a strong first quarter yesterday though.

We will miss Jones, Murphy and Simpson far less than we think, and they are often the worst offenders when it comes to making basic skill errors.

Agree you probably won’t miss Murphy or Simpson based on output, but where is the ready made replacement for Jones? Weiterings best position is on the second or third best defender where he can intercept the ball. They need a solid tall and Marchbank and Plowman don’t have the height or nous for this position.

The heart of Carltons issue is the constant hope that their high draft picks will continue to improve to the level fans expect them too. This gives them hope. The reality is that they haven’t improved to where they really should be at the moment.

Agree you probably won’t miss Murphy or Simpson based on output, but where is the ready made replacement for Jones? Weiterings best position is on the second or third best defender where he can intercept the ball. They need a solid tall and Marchbank and Plowman don’t have the height or nous for this position.

The heart of Carltons issue is the constant hope that their high draft picks will continue to improve to the level fans expect them too. This gives them hope. The reality is that they haven’t improved to where they really should be at the moment.

Jones is overrated and won’t be that hard to replace IMO. For all his athleticism he is a really dumb footballer and is good for a couple of direct skill errors per game that cost us goals. I’d hope we’d end up replacing him with a readymade key defender from another club.

I’d hope Marchbank is traded, but we won’t get much for him.

Our high draft picks aren’t the issue. The core of our team is in place, and these guys just need more experience and to take more ownership, and Cripps needs to trust them more. Some of these first round picks will just be solid members of the 22, but Teague won’t play them until there is a spot in the team up for grabs.

Jones is overrated and won’t be that hard to replace IMO. For all his athleticism he is a really dumb footballer and is good for a couple of direct skill errors per game that cost us goals. I’d hope we’d end up replacing him with a readymade key defender from another club.

He has been a good fill-in for us at CHB but you are quite right, he makes a couple of errors every game that undo all of his good work. Last night there were three absolute howlers that cost us each time.

We must be praying like hell that Macreadie kicks on because the cupboard is bare behind him.

I’d hope Marchbank is traded, but we won’t get much for him.

He's a handy player but is becoming more and more injury prone, we can't get him on the park enough. I agree with you, he is a genuine trade option.

He's a handy player but is becoming more and more injury prone, we can't get him on the park enough. I agree with you, he is a genuine trade option.
What do you think clubs would offer for Marchbank? He’s likely depth at best for other clubs and they would be relying on him not only improving, but also overcoming injuries. Surely would just be worth a nominal goodwill pick at best.

Love to argue with you Rich, but i can't.

Cuningham kicked the opening goal of the match, that was his only kick for the whole match. :rolleyes:

Kennedy teases us but does not deliver, SPS is being played out of position and Setterfield only has 29 games to his credit.

Cuningham kicked the opening goal of the match, that was his only kick for the whole match. :rolleyes:

Kennedy teases us but does not deliver, SPS is being played out of position and Setterfield only has 29 games to his credit.
The question needs to be asked whether it’s bad drafting or poor development of these players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got anything to contribute to this thread than attacking other posters Mod?

Always happy to discuss with those interested in genuine discussion.

With you? Not so much. I'm not a huge fan of trolls and would frankly rather watch the replay of last night's game.

Agree with the criticisms of a few like Cunningham, SPS and I’d even throw Fisher in there. They’ve been around a few seasons now and it’s disappointing that none have seemingly become consistently good footballers. Fisher was probably the closest but he can’t even get in the team at the moment which is either an indictment on him or the coach has a stupid fascination with Jack Newnes.

Setterfield since day one at Carlton has been judged incredibly harshly though. He played a whopping two games for the Giants, one of which I’m pretty sure I remember him being concussed in. He then tore his ACL and missed a long time. He came back last season and from day one he was just shat on by some as though he was a veteran player who should be used to AFL level. Seemingly no regard for Setterfield essentially being a first year player coming from a long way back. His disposal in a pressure filled AFL game looked poor. Would you really expect him to just come in and be clean as anything immediately?

He showed signs in a number of areas that showed he’s up to it at AFL level. This year he has had a few quiet games but for the most part I think he’s been good and much cleaner. Showed some very deft touches with handballs and by foot last week. He’s only played 25 games.

Back