Remove this Banner Ad

Backs: John Beckwith Robert 'Tassie' Johnson Donald Cordner

Half Backs: Noel McMahen Gary Hardeman Don Williams

Centres: Allan La Fontaine Greg Wells Robert Flower

Half Forwards: Hassa Mann Ivor Warne-Smith Garry Lyon

Forwards: Jack Mueller Fred Fanning Percy Beames

Followers: Denis Cordner Ron Barassi Jnr Stuart Spencer

Interchange: Frank Adams Norm Smith Wally Lock Laurie Mithen

Emergencies: David Neitz Jim Stynes Jeff Farmer Ian Ridley Albert Chadwick Brian Dixon Stan Alves

Last edited:
B. Phonse Kyne Jack Regan Harold Rumney
HB. Darren Millane. Albert Collier. Bill Picken
C. Gavin Brown Marcus Whelan. Thorold Merrett
HF. Peter Daicos. Ron Todd Harry Collier
F. Dick Lee Gordon Coventry Des Fothergill
R. Syd Coventry Nathan Buckley Bob Rose
In. Len Thompson Dane Swan Scott Pendlebury Murray Weideman
Em Wayne Richardson Des Tuddenham Dick Condon Peter McKenna Alby Pannam
Coach Jock McHale

8 Brownlow Medallists
Over 3500 goals from the forwards alone
Even the emergencies add another 2000 goals!

Last edited:
Been reminiscing with a few Carlton and Saints mates about creating a best 22 from our club's history and how they'd fare against each other.

Obviously we are a but limited by our age (all mid 20s) but:

-Who's in your all time 22 &
-How do they stack up?

Rules: Must have played at least 50 games for your club or at least had a significant contribution (Sam Mitchell doesn't count for WCE but Judd does)

Carlton's

Doull Silvagni Docherty
Kouta Southby Mckay

Nicholls Judd Williams
Bradley Ratten Barassi

Kernahan Jesaulenko
Bradley Fevola Betts

Johnston Sexton Hands Murphy
No Ken Hunter, no Bob Chitty, no Rod Ashman, no Soapy Vallence, Sexton named before David McKay or Bert Deacon , wtf?

Barassi that played no where near enough games to get in our all time team
but missed Rod McGregor that played hundreds ?

Two times you named Bradley, one of which seems to be forward pocket but no Syd Jackson or Sheldon up forward that premiership class small forwards. You missed naming a second half forward like a Crosswell or Bosustow too?

Apparently you also asked how our all time team would fare against your Saints mate team.
Can only assume was a drunk post.:p

Our historic best 22 would clean up all others.
You had to be taking the piss, ha ha. Nice try.

Last edited:

A crack for Carlton off the top of my head.

B: Doull Southby James
HB: Hunter Silvagni Mckay
C: Bradley Williams Koutoufidies
HF: Johnston Kernahan Jezza
F: Buzz Fevola Betts
Foll: Nicholls Judd Ashman

Int: Harmes, Ratten, Fitzpatrick, Simpson

Influenced mostly by selecting those I’ve seen. Have a nagging suspicion I’ve forgotten someone.

A crack for Carlton off the top of my head.

B: Doull Southby James
HB: Hunter Silvagni Mckay
C: Bradley Williams Koutoufidies
HF: Johnston Kernahan Jezza
F: Buzz Fevola Betts
Foll: Nicholls Judd Ashman

Int: Harmes, Ratten, Fitzpatrick, Simpson

Influenced mostly by selecting those I’ve seen. Have a nagging suspicion I’ve forgotten someone.

A genuine effort after comics of Carlton had a go before.
Maybe McGregor, Vallence, Chitty, Clover or Crisp are some overlooked we never seen.
I reckon David McKay before Fitzzy on the bench? Way more versatile.

Either way, good effort off top of your head.

For the people selecting Carlton teams you are allowed to pick players from 1897 to 1980. You won most of your flags in this time.
Didn't see them play but Deacon, James, Hands and Vallence are almost certainties.
Best players I have seen play
Bradley, Sticks, Doull, Ashman, Southby, Jezza, Kouta, Nicholls, SOS, Ratten, Harmes, D.McKay, Dominator.

For the people selecting Carlton teams you are allowed to pick players from 1897 to 1980. You won most of your flags in this time.
Didn't see them play but Deacon, James, Hands and Vallence are almost certainties.
Best players I have seen play
Bradley, Sticks, Doull, Ashman, Southby, Jezza, Kouta, Nicholls, SOS, Ratten, Harmes, D.McKay, Dominator.

I liked Ryhs-Jones at CHB. Have seen him play well there. Have seen him collect a Norm Smith playing there.

Never saw Deacon play. And Vallence isnt a certainty over Fevola at FF. The only blemish on Brendan is his off field antics. He was well on the way to becoming our leading goal kicker until the Brownlow night.

He won the Coleman in a side that ended up winning the spoon!

Dogs Best 22
B Olliver Henderson Lake
HB Morris Foster Whitten
C Hawkins Sutton Ryan
HF Grant Templeton Johnson
F J.Collins Beasley Hopkins
R Dempsey West Bisset
Inter Schultz Boyd Donald Ware
Apologies to and next in line. Jillard A.Morrison Bont Hickey Royal Gilbee Wynd Liberatore Murphy Quinlan

Last edited:
I liked Ryhs-Jones at CHB. Have seen him play well there. Have seen him collect a Norm Smith playing there.

Never saw Deacon play. And Vallence isnt a certainty over Fevola at FF. The only blemish on Brendan is his off field antics. He was well on the way to becoming our leading goal kicker until the Brownlow night.

He won the Coleman in a side that ended up winning the spoon!
Deacon played in the 40s so unless you are over 80 years old you wouldn't have seen him. The thread title is historic all time 22 so you will need to consider players that you haven't see play.

Deacon played in the 40s so unless you are over 80 years old you wouldn't have seen him. The thread title is historic all time 22 so you will need to consider players that you haven't see play.
...are you kidding??
Everyone knows that "best historic All Time" is just BF language for 'someone who has played in the last ten years'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did consider him. Then I considered Hyphen a better fit. Rhys-jones wasnt a spud mate and could swing forward. They both played 106 games and while Deacon was a Brownlow medallist, Rhys-Jones was a Norm Smith medallist proving he isnt a slouch either.

Line ball, so i went with the bloke i could remember playing. Im not just going to pick an older player simply for the fact that they are older.

Sorry. Didnt realise that I should be running my list by you. Doubt you saw any of the names youre banging on about anyways.

I saw Kenny Hunter play and Ang Christou. Kenny Hunter is one of the best half backers EVER. Christou was a good player, lovely long left foot kick but not even close to as good as Hunter, let alone past him to get picked ahead of him. Ang would have laughed at getting picked ahead of Hunter too, as comedy.

Gotta be Clarko.... 4 flags 5 grand finals, cant go past that hit rate.
I agree. What about Kanga though, virtually single handedly dragged us from being the worst football team in the world to one of the best.
And Jeans, who probably would have had 6 to his name if he hadn’t have got crook.

I agree. What about Kanga though, virtually single handedly dragged us from being the worst football team in the world to one of the best.
And Jeans, who probably would have had 6 to his name if he hadn’t have got crook.

Once again, I've used this analogy before... its like saying pick a Victoria's Secret model for a night... you literally cant go wrong any way you pick.

I saw Kenny Hunter play and Ang Christou. Kenny Hunter is one of the best half backers EVER.

Won the BnF in a premiership year off HB; also very adept up forward and could play onball. Was one of the most courageous players I’ve ever seen. That mark in 83’ running with the flight as Maclure and Jim Jess I think it was, were charging out to meet it, was as gutsy an effort as you’ll ever see. Seemed to just have no regard for his own safety. Walks into any Carlton best 22 IMO. Loved Ang, but not a chance he’d get a jumper before Hunter.

A genuine effort after comics of Carlton had a go before.
Maybe McGregor, Vallence, Chitty, Clover or Crisp are some overlooked we never seen.
I reckon David McKay before Fitzzy on the bench? Way more versatile.

Either way, good effort off top of your head.

Cheers. I thought of McKay at CHB, but decided on SOS to give James a BP, given SOS played there on the best and could dominate. I went with Fitzy on the bench as a backup ruck for an undersized Nicholls, who could play forward when resting. Fitzy was a damn good player, had presence and leadership. I’m comfortable with that choice.

I saw Kenny Hunter play and Ang Christou. Kenny Hunter is one of the best half backers EVER. Christou was a good player, lovely long left foot kick but not even close to as good as Hunter, let alone past him to get picked ahead of him. Ang would have laughed at getting picked ahead of Hunter too, as comedy.

Thats nice. I prefer Christou.

Richmond
Backs-----' Bolger -------- Rance------ Oneill
Hbacks----Bourke -------Murdoch--- McCormack
Centrs---- Geddes -------Barrott ----- Raines
Hfwds --- Bartlett --- hart -----------Martin
Ffwds ----Harris--- ----'Titus------------Richo
Rucks -----Wright ----------Dyer -------Cotchin
Inter- ----- Rudolph ---Weightman --- Knights-- oppy

Richmond
Backs-----' Bolger -------- Rance------ Oneill
Hbacks----Bourke -------Murdoch--- McCormack
Centrs---- Geddes -------Barrott ----- Raines
Hfwds --- Bartlett --- hart -----------Martin
Ffwds ----Harris--- ----'Titus------------Richo
Rucks -----Wright ----------Dyer -------Cotchin
Inter- ----- Rudolph ---Weightman --- Knights-- oppy
Needs at least one more Rioli (Maurice of course, thought Daniel may well be there in time).

Christou? LOL. Maybe if he didn't have a bad back, he would have been considered.

I don't really agree with Cripps, he hasn't done anything yet to deserve a spot... ask again in 10 years. I see people are putting Betts in there but I don't know why? I don't think his time at Carlton is better than what Ashman produced.

Here's my Carlton team:

B: Doull - Silvagni (Stephen) - James
HB: Hunter - Southby - A. McKay
C: Bradley - Williams - Koutoufides
HF: Jesaulenko - Kernahan - Johnston
F: Vallence - Fevola - Ashman
R: Nicholls - Judd - Silvagni (Sergio)
Int: Gallagher - Fitzpatrick - D. McKay - Ratten

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back