Who will be better in 2024? Hawthorn or Essendon?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a pointless question because talent is subjective I could name a heap of players and there could be conflict based off subjective opinion of talent.

Forwards
Lewis, Ginnivan, Moore, Watson, MacDonald, Dear
Midfielders
Day, Newcombe, Mackenzie, Ward, Hustwaite, Worpel (not super young), D’Ambrosio, Meek (RUCK)
Defenders

Weddle, Scrimshaw, Mitchell, Jiath, McCabe, Grainger-Barras, Blanck

From this list there’s clear top end talent with
Day, Newcombe, Watson, Weddle, MacKenzie, Ward, Lewis, Moore

Some that you could argue but Connor MacDonald, Ginnivan, Dear, Scrimshaw & Mitchell? Who could be top liners for their positions (Mitchell for example small lockdown and running defender in the Saad mould).

And there’s players who have the talent like DGB, McCabe, Jiath (injuries or too soon)

As I said purely subjective but to suggest an AFL club doesn’t have any top end talent is laughable.
I think you left out your runner and the bloke that cuts the oranges from your exhaustive list

You just about named every player on your list 🤣🤣🤣
I broke your question down and didn’t just basically answer with names.

Point that you clearly missed is talent is subjective. So it differs from person to person, and most people’s opinions are seen as not necessarily important when you have people who do it for a job like talent scouts.

The idea that Hawthorn will be better in the long run is deflecting from the question the OP asked. Essendon clearly trending better than expected and most people on BigFooty seem to have pictured the Hawks as they are, struggling through a variety of reasons.

Every team has talent, some have more top end picks than others, it is the hear and now that matters and right now we are holding the door for the top 4 teams whilst the Hawks are saved by statistically the worst football side outside the xpansion sides since Fitzroy from competing for the Fitzroy

It’s always a fun excessive to see how a mashed up side would go, lets have a go for the hear and now;

Bp. Andrew McGrath - should be close to the AA squad such is his form

Fb. Ben McKay - Ditto from McGrath, if not, the Hawks key defenders are shit or injured

Bp. Mason Redman - Probably gets the nod due to the form of others but he is another that goes under the radar. As such, the Hawks have shit small defenders. Possibly fighting with Blake Hardwick who’s moved forward some weeks

Hbf. Nic Martin - One of our best this year so gets a gig. Not much to compete with either

Cha. James Sicily - When your competing with Jayden Laverne, you take the L and move on

Hbf. Jarman Impey - surprisingly good and somewhat consistent in a pretty ordinary back 6.

W. Dyson Heppel - May raise some eyebrows but the young fox is getting the job done.

C. Zac Merrett - Literally one of the best players in the comp. Don’t even bother suggesting he doesn’t start here

W. Karl Amon - Speculative but we tend to rotate through our wingers with no continuity so Amon gets a gig.

Hff. Archie PErkins - Has been surprisingly good prior to injury. When fit he shows his class and worth and gets a spot here.

Chf. Kyle Langford - Probably another pseudo position nominal to his output. Langford is top 10 in the Coleman and should be again in discussion for AA honours after making squad last year.

Hff. Dylan Moore - is a star and will make some people look silly when his career ends. Rate highly

Fp. Jack Ginnivan - Dislike him and his style but all arguments aside, he is the leading small forward amongst the two sides.

Ff. Jake Stringer - Making people look silly in a contract year again. Gun. Match winner. Star.

Fp. Jade Gresham - Again, output outweighs the expectation and not much competition from either side for the other FP spot.

R. Todd Goldstein - the old fox is easily the best ruck from either club.

R. James Worpell - Most hawks supporters seem to think Worpell is back to somewhere near his best. Go with him over Duke

R. Darcy Parish - rounds out the formidable centre square quartet.

I/c. Will Day - I like him as a player so want to pick him.

I/c. Peter Wright - Best KPF from either club but not quite done enough to start.

I/c. Sam Durham - Think both sides would admit he’s a gun on the rise.

I/c. Raffle it, don’t really care at this point so nit pick away. Could go Lloyd Meek, could go Will Setterfield.

The idea that Hawthorn will be better in the long run is deflecting from the question the OP asked. Essendon clearly trending better than expected and most people on BigFooty seem to have pictured the Hawks as they are, struggling through a variety of reasons.

Every team has talent, some have more top end picks than others, it is the hear and now that matters and right now we are holding the door for the top 4 teams whilst the Hawks are saved by statistically the worst football side outside the xpansion sides since Fitzroy from competing for the Fitzroy

It’s always a fun excessive to see how a mashed up side would go, lets have a go for the hear and now;

Fb. Ben McKay - Ditto from McGrath, if not, the Hawks key defenders are s**t or injured

Bp. Mason Redman - Probably gets the nod due to the form of others but he is another that goes under the radar. As such, the Hawks have s**t small defenders. Possibly fighting with Blake Hardwick who’s moved forward some weeks

Hbf. Nic Martin - One of our best this year so gets a gig. Not much to compete with either

Cha. James Sicily - When your competing with Jayden Laverne, you take the L and move on

Hbf. Jarman Impey - surprisingly good and somewhat consistent in a pretty ordinary back 6.

W. Dyson Heppel - May raise some eyebrows but the young fox is getting the job done.

C. Zac Merrett - Literally one of the best players in the comp. Don’t even bother suggesting he doesn’t start here

W. Karl Amon - Speculative but we tend to rotate through our wingers with no continuity so Amon gets a gig.

Hff. Archie PErkins - Has been surprisingly good prior to injury. When fit he shows his class and worth and gets a spot here.

Chf. Kyle Langford - Probably another pseudo position nominal to his output. Langford is top 10 in the Coleman and should be again in discussion for AA honours after making squad last year.

Hff. Dylan Moore - is a star and will make some people look silly when his career ends. Rate highly

Fp. Jack Ginnivan - Dislike him and his style but all arguments aside, he is the leading small forward amongst the two sides.

Ff. Jake Stringer - Making people look silly in a contract year again. Gun. Match winner. Star.

Fp. Jade Gresham - Again, output outweighs the expectation and not much competition from either side for the other FP spot.

R. James Worpell - Most hawks supporters seem to think Worpell is back to somewhere near his best. Go with him over Duke

I/c. Peter Wright - Best KPF from either club but not quite done enough to start.

I/c. Raffle it, don’t really care at this point so nit pick away. Could go Lloyd Meek, could go Will Setterfield.
So I’ll have a go in a minute but to assess your side you have
13 Bombers
7 Hawks

Fb. Ben McKay - Ditto from McGrath, if not, the Hawks key defenders are s**t or injured

Bp. Mason Redman - Probably gets the nod due to the form of others but he is another that goes under the radar. As such, the Hawks have s**t small defenders. Possibly fighting with Blake Hardwick who’s moved forward some weeks

Is this here and now, based off 2024? Or let’s say 2023 & 2024? I’m gonna make my side based off the latter.

So I have had a go. My side would be a mixture of 2024 and 2023. Will give reasons for each selection and happy to discuss. This would be the side picked if you wanted to win from now, imagining everyone is fit also.

I have done this with structure also in mind.

BACKLINE
Andrew McGrath - A no brainer with his ability to defend and also provide quality run
Ben McKay - Also a no brainer as the full back, lock down ability is good and quality intercepting capacity
Blake Hardwick - Has played a little forward but everyone knows he is quality defensively, one of the premier lockdown small defenders

Jordan Ridley - Very good player who is just composure in a player, utter class, definite pick.
James Sicily - First picked defensively, he’s a superstar and able to lockdown if needed but ideally is the main distributer from d50 and intercept mammoth, lock no brainer.
Nic Martin - Has played down back, able to intercept but mainly his run and carry off half back, distribution at a high level, clear pick.

MIDFIELD
Todd Goldstein - Toss up between him and Meek but I think the experience would be good and has the long term form behind him, different story end of 2024, first use to midfielders.
Will Day - Hawks B&F 2023 and just back from injury, at his best is a dynamic and star level midfielder, no brainer.
Jai Newcombe - AA squad 2023 and a minor form slump is irrelevant he is a clear lock and just a gun, no brainer.

Xavier Duursma - Is better than the other wing options with Heppell and D’Ambrosio the others not selected, good option.
Zach Merrett - An absolute star and is a no brainer.
Karl Amon - First picked wing option, experience but a fast, high engine and long kicking wing, clear as day.

FORWARDLINE
Dylan Moore - Star, can roll into the middle but is a no brainer here.
Mitch Lewis - Injury ridiculed in 2024 and not able to get continuity but is a star forward when fit absolute no brainer.
Kyle Langford - Superb 2023 and continued the form this year, great third tall option.

Jake Stringer - Good player and is a clear pick, can be up and down but can open games by himself
Peter Wright - Need another tall and is a good player, can be up and down, but rounds out a good spine.
Jack Ginnivan - Disliked by opposition supporters but he is a good and smart small forward, able to push up the ground.

INTERCHANGE
Connor MacDonald - Able to play forward and up the ground, has proven classy and an ability to finish, just pips Perkins/Gresham/Breust.
Darcy Parish - Is a very good ball winner and proven quality, sits on the rotation as the other midfielders are more dynamic.
James Worpel - Bull and a good player but sits on the outside of rotations like Parish due to the other midfielders being more dynamic.
Jack Scrimshaw - Playing as a key defender and also able to intercept well, quality ball use from d50.

Team breakdown
Hawthorn:

DEF - 3
MID - 4
FWD - 4
TOTAL - 11

Essendon:
DEF - 4
MID - 4
FWD - 3
TOTAL - 11

Notable omissions
Mason Redman
Jarman Impey
Sam Durham
Archie Perkins
Jade Gresham
Josh Weddle
Dyson Heppell
Lloyd Meek
Will Setterfield
Jye Caldwell
Massimo D’Ambrosio
Sam Draper
Sam Frost
Luke Breust
Mabior Chol

There’s youth no listed here but talking purely 2024, that’s the side.

There will be clear changes by end of 2024 but this is it so far. Happy to hear rebuttals.

Last edited:
So I have had a go. My side would be a mixture of 2024 and 2023. Will give reasons for each selection and happy to discuss. This would be the side picked if you wanted to win from now, imagining everyone is fit also.

BACKLINE
Andrew McGrath - A no brainer with his ability to defend and also provide quality run
Ben McKay - Also a no brainer as the full back, lock down ability is good and quality intercepting capacity
Blake Hardwick - Has played a little forward but everyone knows he is quality defensively, one of the premier lockdown small defenders

James Sicily - First picked defensively, he’s a superstar and able to lockdown if needed but ideally is the main distributer from d50 and intercept mammoth, lock no brainer.
Jack Scrimshaw - Playing as a key defender and also able to intercept well, quality ball use from d50.
Nic Martin - Has played down back, able to intercept but mainly his run and carry off half back, distribution at a high level, clear pick.

MIDFIELD
Todd Goldstein - Toss up between him and Meek but I think the experience would be good and has the long term form behind him, different story end of 2024, first use to midfielders.
Will Day - Hawks B&F 2023 and just back from injury, at his best is a dynamic and star level midfielder, no brainer.
Jai Newcombe - AA squad 2023 and a minor form slump is irrelevant he is a clear lock and just a gun, no brainer.

Xavier Duursma - Is better than the other wing options with Heppell and D’Ambrosio the others not selected, good option.
Karl Amon - First picked wing option, experience but a fast, high engine and long kicking wing, clear as day.

FORWARDLINE
Mitch Lewis - Injury ridiculed in 2024 and not able to get continuity but is a star forward when fit absolute no brainer.
Kyle Langford - Superb 2023 and continued the form this year, great third tall option.

Jake Stringer - Good player and is a clear pick, can be up and down but can open games by himself
Peter Wright - Need another tall and is a good player, can be up and down, but rounds out a good spine.
Jack Ginnivan - Disliked by opposition supporters but he is a good and smart small forward, able to push up the ground.

INTERCHANGE
Connor MacDonald - Able to play forward and up the ground, has proven classy and an ability to finish, just pips Perkins/Gresham/Breust.
Darcy Parish - Is a very good ball winner and proven quality, sits on the rotation as the other midfielders are more dynamic.
James Worpel - Bull and a good player but sits on the outside of rotations like Parish due to the other midfielders being more dynamic.
Mason Redman - Just pips Impey or even Weddle (extra KPD) but provides good run and carry from defense.

Team breakdown
Hawthorn:

DEF - 3
MID - 4
FWD - 4
TOTAL - 11

Essendon:
DEF - 4
MID - 4
FWD - 3
TOTAL - 11

Notable omissions
Jarman Impey
Sam Durham
Archie Perkins
Jade Gresham
Josh Weddle
Dyson Heppell
Lloyd Meek
Will Setterfield
Jye Caldwell
Massimo D’Ambrosio
Sam Draper
Sam Frost
Luke Breust
Mabior Chol

There will be clear changes by end of 2024 but this is it so far. Happy to hear rebuttals.
Heard of Jordan Ridley? he replaces Scrimshaw, Gresham and Durham are walk up starts for this team, replacing Worpel and Ginnivan. Durham and Parish would both start in the midfield ahead of Newcombe.
Perkins and Caldwell have MacDonald covered too.

Last edited:
If you’re picking a team based off 2024 form:

FB: Andrew McGrath Ben McKay Blake Hardwick
HB: Nic Martin Jack Scrimshaw Dyson Heppell
C: Xavier Duursma Sam Durham Karl Amon
HF: Jake Stringer Harrison Jones Dylan Moore
FF: Jade Gresham Peter Wright Kyle Langford
R: Todd Goldstein Zach Merrett Jye Caldwell
Int: Sam Frost Lloyd Meek Darcy Parish Jack Ginnivan

Sub: Massimo D’Ambrosio

Notable absentees:

James Sicily- poor 90% of the season
Mason Redman - inconsistent
Archie Perkins- injured
Jordan Ridley - injured
Will Day- injured
Mitch Lewis- injured
Jai Newcombe - poor 75% of the season
Connor nash- poor 75% of the season
James Worpel - good start, poor last 5 weeks
Jarmen Impey- inconsistent.
Josh weddle- second year blues.
Connor macdonald- poor form. 2 good games.
Nick watson- injured
Luke Breust- injured
Mabior chol- injured

Will be interesting to see how this changes in 8 week’s time. I expect a lot of the notable absentees to be in the side by the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard of Jordan Ridley? he replaces Scrimshaw, Gresham and Durham are walk up starts for this team, replacing Worpel and Ginnivan. Durham and Parish would both start in the midfield ahead of Newcombe.
That’s a complete mishap from my end. I’ll make an edit now, Ridley 100%. Absolute gun.

Edited the side to add in Ridley at half back.

Gresham isn’t nearly as good as people believe. I don’t have him in my side.

Durham is a gun, but I don’t think he’s going to be taking the spot of any midfielder here. Perhaps Duursma wing position which he previously has played.

Durham isn’t in the side let alone fielded, Parish very well could be but for me, I picked Newcombe, Day and Merrett as the dynamic trio. Parish/Worpel are your ball winners and inside mids.

Perkins is a similar player to MacDonald but MacDonald just pips him and Caldwell is a midfielder so wouldn’t play as a HF.

I think you’re looking at it pretty shallow, albeit there’s a lot of change if it was based purely off 2024. But I didn’t do that out of sample size, (it’s only 8 rounds in).

Newcombe ahead of Parish.

Hawks fans say the cutest things.
Reasons behind that were pretty well stated already but I’ll reiterate.

Dynamic. I’d rather pick Newcombe, Day and Merrett as that’s a dynamic mix. Parish and Worpel both could be on field but are better as pure inside midfielders, and it’s personal preference for me to want a dynamic midfield. Same goes for Port, I’d rather JHF, Rozee and Butters as the starting mids rather than with Wines or Drew even tho you know what you’ll get from the latter two.

If you’re picking a team based off 2024 form:

FB: Andrew McGrath Ben McKay Blake Hardwick
HB: Nic Martin Jack Scrimshaw Dyson Heppell
C: Xavier Duursma Sam Durham Karl Amon
HF: Jake Stringer Harrison Jones Dylan Moore
FF: Jade Gresham Peter Wright Kyle Langford
R: Todd Goldstein Zach Merrett Jye Caldwell
Int: Sam Frost Lloyd Meek Darcy Parish Jack Ginnivan

Sub: Massimo D’Ambrosio

Notable absentees:

James Sicily- poor 90% of the season
Mason Redman - inconsistent
Archie Perkins- injured
Jordan Ridley - injured
Will Day- injured
Mitch Lewis- injured
Jai Newcombe - poor 75% of the season
Connor nash- poor 75% of the season
James Worpel - good start, poor last 5 weeks
Jarmen Impey- inconsistent.
Josh weddle- second year blues.
Connor macdonald- poor form. 2 good games.
Nick watson- injured
Luke Breust- injured
Mabior chol- injured

Will be interesting to see how this changes in 8 week’s time. I expect a lot of the notable absentees to be in the side by the end of the season.
Can’t disagree with this if purely off 2024 form. Injuries aside is why I also used 2023, because if everyone is fit the side drastically changes.

Edited the side to add in Ridley at half back.

Gresham isn’t nearly as good as people believe. I don’t have him in my side.

Durham is a gun, but I don’t think he’s going to be taking the spot of any midfielder here. Perhaps Duursma wing position which he previously has played.

Durham isn’t in the side let alone fielded, Parish very well could be but for me, I picked Newcombe, Day and Merrett as the dynamic trio. Parish/Worpel are your ball winners and inside mids.

Perkins is a similar player to MacDonald but MacDonald just pips him and Caldwell is a midfielder so wouldn’t play as a HF.

I think you’re looking at it pretty shallow, albeit there’s a lot of change if it was based purely off 2024. But I didn’t do that out of sample size, (it’s only 8 rounds in).
I reckon if you asked Brad Scott and Sam Mitchell then Durham would be near one of the first players picked, Essendon were as weak as piss in the midfield until he went in there and Hawthorn still are.

BACKLINE

Jordan Ridley - Very good player who is just composure in a player, utter class, definite pick.

MIDFIELD

FORWARDLINE

INTERCHANGE

Team breakdown
Hawthorn:

DEF - 3
MID - 4
FWD - 4
TOTAL - 11

Essendon:
DEF - 4
MID - 4
FWD - 3
TOTAL - 11

Notable omissions
Mason Redman
Jarman Impey
Sam Durham
Archie Perkins
Jade Gresham
Josh Weddle
Dyson Heppell
Lloyd Meek
Will Setterfield
Jye Caldwell
Massimo D’Ambrosio
Sam Draper
Sam Frost
Luke Breust
Mabior Chol

This entire list looks like a no brainer

I reckon if you asked Brad Scott and Sam Mitchell then Durham would be near one of the first players picked, Essendon were as weak as piss in the midfield until he went in there and Hawthorn still are.
Gresham is also being picked over Macdonald every day of the week, this season alone he is averaging more goals, goal assists, score involvements, inside 50’s and clearances.

Durham is good but again, I don’t think he makes a best 22 of both sides. Maybe soon but not right now. He’d be pushing for that Parish/Worpel spot.

Back