News Will Thursfield retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Goo must be thanking his lucky stars. Looks like we're gonna be using pick 55 now.

Shame - I thought Thursty had a solid finish to the year.

I think both McGuane & Moore would be better off being delisted before the GOO to be honest.

Moore because of injuries & McGuane because of sh!tness

Best of luck to will, he wasnt the worst player to have represented the yellow & black.

I think both McGuane & Moore would be better off being delisted before the GOO to be honest.

Moore because of injuries & McGuane because of sh!tness

Best of luck to will, he wasnt the worst player to have represented the yellow & black.
Think we may as well keep none. Gourdis is s**t. Space cadet's who can't kick are not good for modern day AFL defences.

Moore may be persevered with if they feel his body can come good. Afterall he was our best defender last year. The other 2 are plain no good.

Gourdis was 1 of the best KPD in the vfl last year & was in the coburg best on atleast 6-7 occasions. His kicking isnt as bad as Tuck,Jackson,McGuane and even grigg at times.

How many times would you have watched him at coburg to come to your assesment of him ?

Think we may as well keep none. Gourdis is s**t. Space cadet's who can't kick are not good for modern day AFL defences.

Moore may be persevered with if they feel his body can come good. Afterall he was our best defender last year. The other 2 are plain no good.
If you mean our best tall defender, perhaps, but they were very very ordinary as a group...2010 was a race to the bottom for our key backs. As far as all defenders go - Newman and Deledio were clearly our two best.

Gourdis was 1 of the best KPD in the vfl last year & was in the coburg best on atleast 6-7 occasions. His kicking isnt as bad as Tuck,Jackson,McGuane and even grigg at times.

How many times would you have watched him at coburg to come to your assesment of him ?
Gourdis has played just 4 games - IIRC end of 2010 did quite well v Blues, Saints and Port, especially the last 2 games where we were very competitive. Admittedly his 2011 very disappointing, more so for not getting an opportunity...despite all our injuries??? 2012 seems like he will be given every chance to play a role, up to him what he does with the opportunity, but his athleticism, competitiveness and dash suggests to me he'll add a dimension that has been missing. Would be great to see him gain some confidence like Rance, Grimes and to lesser extent Post have from being shown faith by coaching staff

Always appreciate players who have put their head down and tried for the club, no question they've done better than l have ever been able to achieve. So to Thursty, well done and good luck.

HOWEVER, to those who are disappointed or angry about him moving on and lost in some kind of warped sense of enjoying mediocrity. Will had A good year once, but has been nothing better than a poor-mans Darren Gasper having a bad day.

All l'm hearing is Will was a "good stopper". Really??? He was a liability with the ball, saved only by the fact that Luke McGuane is even worse by foot. Football demands better skills than that... Hardwick said himself, no one is safe if they continue to show the inability to dispose of the ball correctly, particularly by foot.

Right decision, no matter how good a bloke he is and the fact that he achieved what many of us have not.

;)

Wally - Thursfield actually had excellent disposal efficiency, however he rarely took risks with his disposal, just the easy one to someone in space and rarely over great distance. Slowed the play up and was likely why he didn't get as much game time.

Gourdis should be given at least five consecutive games to see if he can make it an AFL level - I always thought he wasn't given enough time to show anything last season.

Thanks for your efforts and all the best for the future Will T. Appears to me to be a bloke who can see teh writing on the wall and then take the appropriate action, i.e. last year asking for a trade and this year pulling up stumps. Gotta respect that, takes a bit to know when you need to pull the pin.

All the best forcefield...at the end of the day came in as a rookie and got his s**t together and got the call up and was thrust into a defence that had to withstand tsumani like pressure week in week out. Produced against the top guns and would it wouldnt surprise me if Rooey didnt acknowledge the force's capabilities. Unfortunately for Will there were to few that knew what to do and like other tiger defenders who have gone by the way side, was continuously given Mission Impossible assignments, due to lack of other capable candidates.

IMO Wills career kinda reminds me of one of the tanker's defenders who was himself in the same boat in that team, Thornton. i.e. just like the kid who had to stick his finger in the dyke to stop the flood...

Good luck to you Will, you can be proud of your career dude, all the best in your future ventures. Good kid without the hoohaa who just did a job for the team.

Lets face it tigerheads, when he arrived on the senior scene, dont think there are many out there that werent suggesting, about ****ing time we have someone there that offers resistance. ;)

Re: Gourdis

Would much rather play Goo than McGuane. Kel Moore's a good player, but we don't know if/how he will come back from his injuries. Astbury's coming off a knee, Grimes a hamstring, Thursfield has retired, Post is unproven and McGuane is s**t.

It was a smart move keeping him on the list for another year, if nothing less than he is an athletic big body who we could do worse than having as an insurance policy KPD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

..Will had A good year once, but has been nothing better than a poor-mans Darren Gasper having a bad day.

All l'm hearing is Will was a "good stopper". Really??? He was a liability with the ball, saved only by the fact that Luke McGuane is even worse by foot. Football demands better skills than that... Hardwick said himself, no one is safe if they continue to show the inability to dispose of the ball correctly, particularly by foot.
Rance has only had one good year, so whats your point?

Will had 90% disposal efficiency, McGuane 80% and Rance also 80%. Rance the with the most clangers out of the 3, averaging 2.7 compared to Will-1.6 and McGuane - 2.4.

:eek:

Interesting to read that Will was offered a 1 year deal to continue on next year but decided to opt out and continue building his landscaping business.

Rance has only had one good year, so whats your point?

Will had 90% disposal efficiency, McGuane 80% and Rance also 80%. Rance the with the most clangers out of the 3, averaging 2.7 compared to Will-1.6 and McGuane - 2.4.

:eek:

Rance takes risks in an effort to move the ball quickly. Thursfield didn't, whichnis what Infamy was correctly alluding to.

Interesting to read that Will was offered a 1 year deal to continue on next year but decided to opt out and continue building his landscaping business.
All I can think of is Barry Fife in Strictly Ballroom. "Bloody Nathan's retiring, wants to focus on his landscape gardening business!"

Unfortunately there ain't no YouTube of this classic moment.

Good luck Will. I have a question to ask though. Can you tell me your secret to not gaining weight for 7 years. I look at food and put Kg's on, what did you do?

Good luck Will. I have a question to ask though. Can you tell me your secret to not gaining weight for 7 years. I look at food and put Kg's on, what did you do?

ha ha classic!

always liked Will - reckon he got unfairly lambasted on this board- as does McG - who if I remember Richo rated as our strongest back) not a complete player and spent several (Wallace) years working towards being a running back when he was never going to fill that role instead of improving his strengths, he beat the best numerous times.

Look out for end of year Fishing trip for the boys next year!

My memory was he and Moore were 2 excellent defenders who injury cut down, but he could have been a gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back