Would a Richmond Premiership in 2022 make the team one of the best of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you seriously saying winning 3/3 GFs is better than winning 3/4 GFs?

Make four GFs and then join the argument.
As a supporter - I never had to experience a Grand final loss like you did, and yes, 100% is better than 75%

As a statistician, 3 for Hawthorn, 3 for Richmond.

One, without the depression defeat.

Richmond dynasty any day, you take yours, I'll take mine

Is the 2020 Covid Cup considered a full strength premiership. It was terribly compromised and had significant integrity issues with comparison to normal seasons.

Yes it is since a vic team won it despite the disadvantages. If the lions won it would be a different story as it was played over there. Also since the premiers from the year before won it, it is actually the most likely and fitting result. Not sure what people have an issue with, if your team won it you wouldn’t be saying it isn’t. Also 2021 had some COVID hiccups along the way, nobody is discrediting the Dees one even though the dogs couldn’t train in the week leading up to the GF from COVID protocols. That is as compromised as you can get.

Very true. Building and developing a multiple premiership winning team during years of the most heavily compromised drafts in Football History is already something not previously achieved.
Im calling it now, I wouldn't put it past your mob winning the 2022 flag. Faint chance of getting top 4.

Then again winning it from 5th or 6th won't be impossible. Win the home Elim final at the MCG. Get a semi final vs saints or cats or blues. Get demons at the MCG in the preliminary final.

Then have a non Vic side like Sydney, Brisbane or Fremantle do a stupid stance and Richmond win lol

Lions had 10% bonus salary cap
Cats won 3 in 6 years, Tigers won 3 in 4 years
Hawks lost a GF, Tigers unbeaten in GF

Always two sides, to every coin. I just wanted to share with you the other side to this one
I don't care if Brisbane had an extra 10% percent in the salary cap. What was the salary cap back around 2001-4? 5-6 million? So Brisbane got an extra $5-600,000. So that's 2-4 players. Even if you took 2-4 experienced players in that Brisbane side, they were still a formidable team.

Ironic that the COLA came in for the swans in the early 1990s because Sydney struggled. Brisbane were struggling in 1992-4 as well.

What's the salary cap for this season? $13,000,000. Take 10 % of that and that is $1,300,000 gone or $11,700,000 left. Or if it's 10% more then it's $14, 300,000.

10% either way will Make a difference but it shouldn't make a team uncompetitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even think they would be the best Richmond team of all time. For me that was the 73/74 Tigers. Since 2000 I would have them ranked 3rd behind Cats and Brisbane and slightly ahead of Hawks. If they win this year - maybe they jump Cats but they are not the team Brisbane was 2001 - 2004.

I don't even think they would be the best Richmond team of all time. For me that was the 73/74 Tigers. Since 2000 I would have them ranked 3rd behind Cats and Brisbane and slightly ahead of Hawks. If they win this year - maybe they jump Cats but they are not the team Brisbane was 2001 - 2004.

I’m guessing you are 50+ years old and nostalgia is kicking in.

I’m guessing you are 50+ years old and nostalgia is kicking in.

Maybe. But 8 of the 22 Richmond team of the century players plus the team of the century coach. Won 3 flags from 69 - 74 and were consistently in finals until 1976.

If in 2099, this Richmond team has 8 team of the century players I'll eat my words but for now, better for me.

Pfft. 1919-21. That was a great team. Robbed in 1919 by 'second chance Collingwood' and won the next 2.

Maybe. But 8 of the 22 Richmond team of the century players plus the team of the century coach. Won 3 flags from 69 - 74 and were consistently in finals until 1976.

If in 2099, this Richmond team has 8 team of the century players I'll eat my words but for now, better for me.

Athletes are much better than they were 50 years ago. That Richmond team couldn’t beat any top 8 sides today. Same goes for individual players, as much as I love Royce Hart and KB if the AFL team of the century was extended up until 2022 none of them would be in it.

Athletes are much better than they were 50 years ago. That Richmond team couldn’t beat any top 8 sides today. Same goes for individual players, as much as I love Royce Hart and KB if the AFL team of the century was extended up until 2022 none of them would be in it.

Of course they wouldn't. They didn't train 6 times a week. They didn't come up through sophisticated player development systems. They didn't come from all over the world.

On this logic, the only teams that can be the greatest of all time are teams that played in the most recent 10 years. The great Hawthorn teams of the 80s and 90s would be bottom of the ladder if you picked them up and plonked them into the 2022 competition. Likely same for the Brisbane team of 2001/3.

When you compare eras you can only compare them on the basis of where they stood with their contemporaries. I've watched the 1965 Grand Final and I can guarantee you the Xavier firsts would beat both those teams. But are the Xavier firsts greater teams than the Essendon and Saints teams of 1965? Of course not.

When you compare eras you can only compare them on the basis of where they stood with their contemporaries.
That’s fine, but a couple of posts above you said Richmond wouldn’t be greater than Brisbane even if they won this year and captured a 4th flag. So you’re not really being consistent.

That’s fine, but a couple of posts above you said Richmond wouldn’t be greater than Brisbane even if they won this year and captured a 4th flag. So you’re not really being consistent.
It is totally consistent. I think Brisbane 2001/2004 is a better team than current Tigers. I also think Tigers 72 / 74 was a better team. REGARDLESS of the fact that the modern Tigers would probably thrash the 70s mob and likely easily beat Brisbane.

My point is, you can’t rule out every past great team on the basis that modern teams would beat them. You can only rank them based on their performance and reputation at the time they played.

It is totally consistent. I think Brisbane 2001/2004 is a better team than current Tigers. I also think Tigers 72 / 74 was a better team. REGARDLESS of the fact that the modern Tigers would probably thrash the 70s mob and likely easily beat Brisbane.

My point is, you can’t rule out every past great team on the basis that modern teams would beat them. You can only rank them based on their performance and reputation at the time they played.
Yes but if Richmond won 4 and you could ‘only rank them based on their performance and reputation at the time they played’, their performance would be better than Brisbane’s, who won 3.

I don't care if Brisbane had an extra 10% percent in the salary cap. What was the salary cap back around 2001-4? 5-6 million? So Brisbane got an extra $5-600,000. So that's 2-4 players. Even if you took 2-4 experienced players in that Brisbane side, they were still a formidable team.

Ironic that the COLA came in for the swans in the early 1990s because Sydney struggled. Brisbane were struggling in 1992-4 as well.

What's the salary cap for this season? $13,000,000. Take 10 % of that and that is $1,300,000 gone or $11,700,000 left. Or if it's 10% more then it's $14, 300,000.

10% either way will Make a difference but it shouldn't make a team uncompetitive.
sydney seem to be doing just fine without cola

Remove this Banner Ad

Back