Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopper is an out an out gun. Almost AFL ready
Theres a reason Steele is looking elsewhere.

I would expect nothing less.

Edit. Pies never had pick 1. Which is your argument.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Please answer the question.

Would you have come up with the points required if someone bid pick 1?

I said i would expect nothing less
So yes.

My spelling and sentence structure suck but it wasnt that hard to read....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
He doesn't seem to be able to grasp the notion that Collingwood never had access to Hopper, nor that their pick 7 ended up being pick 9, so your simple answer might have been a little difficult for him to process...

Grundy is a good player that gets around the ground well and gets involved in play .

Very hard to be an elite ruckmnan when you can't take a mark however . This is why he slipped in the draft and this is his challenge going forward

he slipped in the draft cause clubs didn't like his interviews.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched today's game pretty closely and it showed everything great about Treloar's game but also exactly why he's well behind the best midfielders in the game. He willed himself back into the game, ran to dangerous spots and was able to hit the scoreboard at a critical time which is all brilliant.

But his ball use when he broke into space was so predictable it played completely into Hawthorn's hands. Just bombing it onto a forward's head at about the 50m line allowed the Hawks to get numbers to the ball, win it back and rebound which is their bread and butter. For a guy whose major strength is his speed to break away his poor kicking and decision making mean it rarely hurts the opposition especially against the better defensive sides.

I watched today's game pretty closely and it showed everything great about Treloar's game but also exactly why he's well behind the best midfielders in the game. He willed himself back into the game, ran to dangerous spots and was able to hit the scoreboard at a critical time which is all brilliant.

But his ball use when he broke into space was so predictable it played completely into Hawthorn's hands. Just bombing it onto a forward's head at about the 50m line allowed the Hawks to get numbers to the ball, win it back and rebound which is their bread and butter. For a guy whose major strength is his speed to break away his poor kicking and decision making mean it rarely hurts the opposition especially against the better defensive sides.
+1, 36 possessions and 2 goals in 3 quarters, complete spud delist!

No player is perfect. Especially in this case, this is a trait shared by many inside midfielders. I mean it is simply not their job to deliver the ball inside 50 resulting in an uncontested mark, their job is to (1) win the clearance (2)Dispose the ball and gain metres, which are both areas Treloar absolutely excel at. Also comparing Treloar with the other elite inside midfielders, Fyfe's disposal isn't even as good as treloar's and Dangerfield is very much the same, then you have clearance midfielders who are even worse in this category Parker, JPK, T Mitchell, Cripps, Priddis. Inside midfielders were never meant to have elite disposals especialy given the pressure applied by the opposition, Treloar's balance of inside & outside game makes him very damaging in a similar manner to Dangerfield. He's a top 10 midfielder in the game easily. Elite inside midfielders who's also damaging with ball in hand are extremely rare to come by, and it's no surprise players who have demonstrated this trait (Ablett, Pendlebury, Judd) have all been the best players in the league for some period of time.

Last edited:
No player is perfect. Especially in this case, this is a trait shared by many inside midfielders. I mean it is simply not their job to deliver the ball inside 50 resulting in an uncontested mark, their job is to (1) win the clearance (2)Dispose the ball and gain metres, which are both areas Treloar absolutely excel at. Also comparing Treloar with the other elite inside midfielders, Fyfe's disposal isn't even as good as treloar's and Dangerfield is very much the same, then you have clearance midfielders who are even worse in this category Parker, JPK, T Mitchell, Cripps, Priddis. Inside midfielders were never meant to have elite disposals especialy given the pressure applied by the opposition, Treloar's balance of inside & outside game makes him very damaging in a similar manner to Dangerfield. He's a top 10 midfielder in the game easily. Elite inside midfielders who's also damaging with ball in hand are extremely rare to come by, and it's no surprise players who have demonstrated this trait (Ablett, Pendlebury, Judd) have all been the best players in the league for some period of time.

Dangerfield is probably the most apt comparison because they both break from stoppages with pace. Danger isn't a beautiful kick by any means but his kicks have penetration and aren't predictable. He will cut inside or lower his eyes and hit up the leading target. When he does go long his kicks are penetrating enough to often get over the back of the defense which is always dangerous. Sure he shanks it a fair bit but the defence struggles to read it and it normally gives the forwards at least a good chance.

Treloar's decision making when breaking away seems really poor because he almost always goes long. This predictability matched with a lack of penetration in his kicking (he hits high floaters normally) means a defence that reads the ball well will get numbers to the right spot, likely win the ball and then be able to rebound. Treloar doesn't shank kicks or turn it over a heap but he's rarely if ever dangerous by foot. All of those other guys (bar T Mitchell who I don't really rate), are much better at choosing a target and playing within their means. And the breakaway possessions, where disposal is really important, isn't their main strength unlike Treloar. His numbers yesterday look great but watching the game both Pendlebury and Sidebottom had a far bigger impact on the game because they were damaging with basically every possession. Too often Treloar just wasn't.

I agree that guys who can win a lot of ball, break away and be damaging are the absolute elite and if he can fix this flaw he probably will be. But people are talking about him being elite at the moment which he just isn't. It's interesting that guys like Swan, Dangerfield and Fyfe cop so much criticism for their disposal. But they're so much more damaging than a guy who is predictable, like Treloar, because they can turn defences around and they generally put it to dangerous spots.

Pretty much. His ball wining ability has never been in question, he has racked up huge numbers from his very first season, his 14th game he got 37 touches, no many can do that. But yesterday he was at 66% efficiency and something that he has always had issues with is kicking to leading fwds.

Translation:

"HEY GUYS, DANGERFIELD IS BETTER THAN TRELOAR, JUST IN CASE YOU HADN'T HEARD IT 7654 TIMES ALREADY FROM GEELONG FANS THIS YEAR".

Give it a rest already ffs...

Treloar is a jet. Sure his disposal forward is predictable which beggars the question "Where were his teammates?". Further it is his first year at the Pies. Next year will be better. The Pies may have given up a lot for him but from where I am sitting it seems like a great deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back