Autopsy Round 13 Geelong lose to West Coast by 13 points

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest difference is that Menzel generally nails them, whereas Menegola seems to miss more than he makes.

I was pretty pissed off at Menegola at the time for having that shot, but I can't really get too shitty since I often wish our players were more selfish in the forward line. We seem to constantly flick around handpasses trying to find the perfect shot at goal and I just think 'take the ******* shot one of you!', so I can't get too upset when one does but misses.

Menzel is selfish!!! Maybe he has free reign from the coach......i don't know, but he doesn't do the 1% ers for the benefit of the team.
As long as his goal average per game is ok......people seem content with that
As for Menegola, that was the worst game I've seen him play. He was totally disinterested last night. Got some junk time stats that flattered his night, but he was well down.

Parsons kicking for goal is pretty ordinary for a bloke who hardly touches it

His free run needs to come to an end, and it's time to give Cunico more than a token game

If people on here seriously think Selwood will get rubbed out for that, you've got rocks in your head. Both he and Mitchell will be let off, i'd be astounded is Selwood copped a fine. Shuey will be at minimum a fine, probably a week

Hawkins and now Selwood doing stupid s**t.

Worrying thing is Selwood can't shake a tag, and if teams start doing it more and more he will keep having shockers like he did last night and against pies.

Stop Joel and you're a long way to beating Geelong.

Menzel is selfish!!! Maybe he has free reign from the coach......i don't know, but he doesn't do the 1% ers for the benefit of the team.
As long as his goal average per game is ok......people seem content with that
As for Menegola, that was the worst game I've seen him play. He was totally disinterested last night. Got some junk time stats that flattered his night, but he was well down.

Parsons kicking for goal is pretty ordinary for a bloke who hardly touches it

His free run needs to come to an end, and it's time to give Cunico more than a token game

I agree that Menzel is selfish - I have said as much on this board in the past. I don't know how you interpreted differently from my post. I'd say he's the second most hungry player in front of goal in the league, behind Tom Lynch from Adelaide (seriously, watch him next time they play). I'm saying I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for forwards to be a bit selfish.

I agree that Menzel is selfish - I have said as much on this board in the past. I don't know how you interpreted differently from my post. I'd say he's the second most hungry player in front of goal in the league, behind Tom Lynch from Adelaide (seriously, watch him next time they play). I'm saying I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for forwards to be a bit selfish.
I didn't enterprate differently .... I reinforced. We only disagree on the level of his selfishness
Littke Brandon Matera is another selfish flog.....but I digress

Last edited:
A few observations:

1. Kolodjashnij. In late 2015, one day short of his 20th birthday, he thrashed a veteran on his last legs in Adam Goodes. Two years later, when he should be theoretically faster, stronger, and better, he struggled against a 34-year-old Drew Petrie?
Petrie took 3 marks and kicked 1 goal. Hardly struggled.

What I couldn't understand last night was the continual playing from behind.

We were fumbling the ball, and west coast were applying great pressure so we had no option but to just belt it forward out of a pack.

But the players up the ground never picked up on it and we're happy to sit behind their opponent.
It was pretty dumb footy to be honest. And an under 10's coach would have addressed that at 1/4 time.

So does Menzel. Menzel is very selfish, but escapes criticism because of his goals per game ratio.
Outside of that, he's non contributory.....and showboats instead of doing team orientated stuff
He's a Stevie J, so he can be selfish. You get a free license being a mercurial forward

Hi cats - Just wondering if anyone knows of the core strengthener that Dan Menzel uses? It was mentioned by Ling and BT last night that he uses some off the shelf strengthener (it does all the tiny muscles in the back hips etc) that anyone can buy/get access to. Do you guys know about what he uses? cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is the worry.

I'm not sure that it's all down to softness. I feel that it's a flawed game plan that once we are on a wider ground we just get opened up time and time again. Collingwood at the G will be telling ....

Yep, no doubt that it comes down to the game plan. The question is, what can Scott and co implement to make us competitive when it counts? We will be sitting ducks in September

Yep, no doubt that it comes down to the game plan. The question is, what can Scott and co implement to make us competitive when it counts? We will be sitting ducks in September
On the basis of what we have seen this year he won't implement anything but more of the same plus platitudes of the future, next time, going forward and 2018.

Hi cats - Just wondering if anyone knows of the core strengthener that Dan Menzel uses? It was mentioned by Ling and BT last night that he uses some off the shelf strengthener (it does all the tiny muscles in the back hips etc) that anyone can buy/get access to. Do you guys know about what he uses? cheers
There's tons of those sorts of programs around.
I.e. Zenolink.

Can be used for any sports. They put sensors on you etc and get you to do the movements your sport requires.
From there they can track weaknesses in posture, strength, athleticism.
And then they tailor a plan.

Most of the scan results actually get sent OS and then a local guy is given a plan to train you in core strengthening or whatever you need.

If you can remember when it was said I can go look at the replay.
But there's no way in hell I'm watching that whole game :)
Think it was the second quarter.

Why does he need to split packs? A lot of people are saying the main reason we lost last night is because Hawkins wasn't there - when was the last time he split a pack? Stanley's strengths are his speed and height, which he used to get all of his three goals.

Also, It's a bit disingenuous to downplay the goal from the free kick - he would have taken the mark had he not had his arm chopped. Since when do goals count for less when they come from free kicks?

I'm not suggesting he was great, but he was clearly better than most and certainly not as poor as is being made out in this thread. 3 goals and 19 hitouts is more than acceptable for a backup ruckman/second key forward, particularly given the low number (and quality) of inside 50s.

Well said. I get the frustration with Stanley, and at times I completely agree. But his output was far from terrible. If Blicavs had the output of 3 goals and 19 hitouts he'd get MVP votes.

Menegola should play in the guts - he isn't a flanker and we are wasting his ability as an inside mid - if Joel has a holiday this may happen by default
Menzel selfish ? TBH I think he assesses the situation and reacts accordingly - he has given some terrific passes at times to players in better positions
I'm over Parsons for now , should never have been an automatic selection post suspension - should have earns it via the VFL
How are Narkle and Jones going ? With Parfitt , Macca and Gregson gone would be good to have a look at what they can offer before finals :)

I'm really proud of Duncan. 11 clearances is way more than his previous career best of 7. It's great to see that each week it's becoming less and less of a surprise to see him in our best 2-3 players.

No surprise anymore. He could very easily be leading our best and fairest (yes I'm serious). He's been sensational.

http://www.kieser.com.au/home

Hawkins and now Selwood doing stupid s**t.

Worrying thing is Selwood can't shake a tag, and if teams start doing it more and more he will keep having shockers like he did last night and against pies.

Stop Joel and you're a long way to beating Geelong.
Yep we are not a deeply strong team-but who is. Other than gws.
Stop Bont, stop Martin, stop Sloane, stop buddy, stop Toby Greene- doesn't that go a long way to stopping those teams also?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back