Preview Rd 18 2017 Sydney v St Kilda @ SCG - Saturday 22 July (preview on page 8, post #191)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair call. I agree with that, and it's actually why I think Hayward is best 22. We currently have a role for him and he's proven he can do it. I would rather have him out there than Towers or Robinson - and I think both of them have been solid. Florent genuinely doesn't look like he has a role at the moment, which is why I wouldn't have him in there.

That's a good point. Hayward does seem to have created a role this year we didn't even know we needed as that marking target but also a crumbing pressure forward. But I also think if you're going at under 10 possessions and not kicking multiple goals every week then you're a bit of a passenger, even if you aren't doing anything that wrong. Once Hayward can start impacting the game more consistently geez he could be anything.

Fair call. I agree with that, and it's actually why I think Hayward is best 22. We currently have a role for him and he's proven he can do it. I would rather have him out there than Towers or Robinson - and I think both of them have been solid. Florent genuinely doesn't look like he has a role at the moment, which is why I wouldn't have him in there.

Not sure either Hayward or Florent are best 22. Neither can perform to the sustained level of Robinson or Towers. But Hayward is closer than Florent. Hayward is a bit stiff that Rohan has found his mojo at Full Forward and Jack is back. Give them both another pre-season or two and it'll be a different story.

The way things are going this year, with all the doom and gloomers and their predictions, we'll win the flag, Tippett will kick 6 in the Grand Final, Sinclair will take a dozen marks and dominate the hit outs, and BJ will just pip Towers for the Norm Smith.

Stop writing off players, people, you're almost always wrong.
If he does that I'll never criticise him as a player again.

I think Hayward is best 22 when he gets fit. He has got good forward instincts, can pick up loose balls and run to the right places. He is also pacy, can take a leaping mark and a decent kick.

Defensively he does his role. Even in the last quarter you see him loping around pressuring defenders.

At the moment we rely a lot on Papley and Rohan. Papley is our best crumbing forward. Rohan is dangerous with his pace and leadup marking. Both have got great defensive pressure.

Tries his guts out, dont question his heart or approach

Just dont see the skills to succeed long term at this level, whats his position?

Media quoted him as a defensive forward. His role is to lock down an opposition players who is key to rebound attacks. Not so much a tagger as someone to break the links in the opposition's forward chain. Personally, I think he's got more talent than he's given credt for. I'd say 150+ games in him (bit like Craig Bird in that respect)

Media quoted him as a defensive forward. His role is to lock down an opposition players who is key to rebound attacks. Not so much a tagger as someone to break the links in the opposition's forward chain. Personally, I think he's got more talent than he's given credt for. I'd say 150+ games in him (bit like Craig Bird in that respect)

If he does that it will be great

Hope he does

Wont bet on it though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit surprised at the overconfidence of the board this week given how this season has gone. Wouldn't be surprised if we get done.

Bit surprised at the overconfidence of the board this week given how this season has gone. Wouldn't be surprised if we get done.

I dont know about everyone else. But i generally feel more confident until game day.

Seems like we are due for a let down

I for one am not confident at all. If there's one thing I have learnt over the last couple of years is that take nothing, literally nothing for granted. Especially this year of all of them. I just hope we continue playing like we have for the last few weeks.

I haven't been confident since we got done by Carlton.
Saints are capable of beating us and will be playing out of their skins. This is a do or die match for them, and yes, same for us, I just feel last weeks horror performance will be stinging and they will come out with all guns blazing.

Saints will be fairly competitive as I expect a more contested game than last time. The SCG could suit them a bit better than Etihad as they get done on the outside and smashed in uncontested possession when they lose, their not too bad in close.

Having said that, it's a game we should win as long as our midfield continues its form.

I'm backing the last 10 games of form vs the Saints where we only lost once and average a 48 point win against them.

Our midfield is better, their forward line is inconsistent and I think Grundy and Rampe cover Bruce and Marshall fairly easily.

My confidence stems from the fact that, after the 0-6 start, the players know we simply can't afford a stuff up. I'm expecting a tough game against the Saints, who could test us with their run and carry. But I think we have can overcome that.................IF we can kick straight and put scoreboard pressure on them from the opening bounce.

His mum was far from boring......

Anne-Bancroft-Mrs-Robinson-balcka-nd-white-pic.jpg
Finally, a meme so old that even I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back