The Brewongle Stand should be renamed for Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

I would hazard a guess that you're paying lip service to something you obviously have no idea about and are making wildly disparaging accusations that are embarrassing to say the least. As a 3rd generation member of the SCG trust, I'd say I have a deeper connection with the ground and are actually better placed than most on this board to understand the significance of the name to the ground.
Can you share that significance then?

Can you share that significance then?
Its symbolic with the working class history of the ground, as the members and ladies stands represent the rich history that the upper echelon of society has with the ground, the Brewongle stand represents its connection with the working echelon of society, collectively together they embody that the ground back in time when society classes rarely mixed brought together all classes of society in one place at the same time.

I would hazard a guess that you're paying lip service to something you obviously have no idea about and are making wildly disparaging accusations that are embarrassing to say the least. As a 3rd generation member of the SCG trust, I'd say I have a deeper connection with the ground and are actually better placed than most on this board to understand the significance of the name to the ground.
So spill the beans. Tell us all what deep significance it has for you. Share the mythology. Fire up our imagination with your stirring tales of what a talismatic place that tea cart has held in your journey through life's twists and turns.

We're all ears.

EDIT just saw your post #53 above. Thank you. Personally I still think the Goodes proposition has a lot more out-and-out legend attaching to it.

Specially if we're to believe the SMH article which claims even the SCG Trust didn't know the story behind the name till the 1990s. So a particularly poor job has been done of propagating this particular legend, you'd have to agree.

Last edited:
In fairness renaming the stand has been a talking point for the trust for a very long time.

I think the fact that the Trust might consider its AR connections worthy of naming a stand after someone like Goodes to be a good thing.

So spill the beans. Tell us all what deep significance it has for you. Share the mythology. Fire up our imagination with your stirring tales of what a talismatic place that tea cart has held in your journey through life's twists and turns.

We're all ears.

EDIT just saw your post #53 above. Thank you. Personally I still think the Goodes proposition has a lot more out-and-out legend attaching to it.

Specially if we're to believe the SMH article which claims even the SCG Trust didn't know the story behind the name till the 1990s. So a particularly poor job has been done of propagating this particular legend, you'd have to agree.
Without trying to sound like Trump, personally I do not take everything that is written in a newspaper story as the gospel truth. Considering that the Brewongle name has a longstanding history at the ground, I'd suggest that its more about the trust being the custodian of grounds heritage and traditions rather than feeling the need to propagate a legend.

Anyway, I think its inevitable that Goodes will be recognised at the ground, its an emotive topic but for me personally I just don't think giving him immediate recognition is either warranted or necessary - his reputation and legacy for his achievements on and off the field is in absolutely no way diminished because he doesn't have a stand named after him right now.

The most logical and right time to do it would be as part of the redevelopment master plan during I think its stage 4 that includes redeveloping the Brewongle, Churchill and O’Reilly stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a SCG gold life member too, and I love my cricket, so I'm hesitant to agree to name changes on stands. I just feel we should leave the big stands. Plenty of smaller stands that could be renamed. I'd rather them add the Goodes name to the Doug Walters stand.

The most logical and right time to do it would be as part of the redevelopment master plan during I think its stage 4 that includes redeveloping the Brewongle, Churchill and O’Reilly stands.

This. 100% correct.

Without trying to sound like Trump, personally I do not take everything that is written in a newspaper story as the gospel truth. Considering that the Brewongle name has a longstanding history at the ground, I'd suggest that its more about the trust being the custodian of grounds heritage and traditions rather than feeling the need to propagate a legend.

Anyway, I think its inevitable that Goodes will be recognised at the ground, its an emotive topic but for me personally I just don't think giving him immediate recognition is either warranted or necessary - his reputation and legacy for his achievements on and off the field is in absolutely no way diminished because he doesn't have a stand named after him right now.

Well argued post. I'd love to see Goodes recognised at the ground one day but #norush ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back