News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you'll complain long and hard well after that.

Nah. I'd love for Ken to take this club to a premiership and I'd gladly admit I was wrong.

Don't get confused in thinking the knockers would rather be proven correct than see the club succeed. That's not what this is about at all.

I posted this in the End the Negativity thread so here goes again ...

I think the Magpies set up showed that Port are preparing for a taller forward line giving our mids better go to targets. I expect Marshall to be bigger, stronger and more aware of what is required as an AFL forward. I also expect Billy Frampton to be in the side as another tall forward option. He may not continually play as a third tall and could swap off the bench at times, but he will be in the 22. I think our biggest issue was settling a tall forward line and we will do that from next year.

Howard will be more experienced and become a settled defender. Other young players who were given a taste this year like Bonner will apply genuine pressure to senior players and establish themselves as league players.

We will see the benefits of changes in our recruiting which have sought to address list imbalances, so again players like Marshall, Atley and Drew will get into the mix. Sam Powell-Pepper who had a bigger impact than you could have hoped for will take another step in his development.

I expect us to pick up at least one AFL standard experienced player, probably as a free agent.

Our older top tier players are still young enough to play on and deliver quality football.

We will use sponsorship money to tweak the coaching panel and support staff again that will bring benefits to the way we play. I would especially like to see us employ full time
  • a stoppage coach
  • a kicking coach
  • a tackling coach
We will continue our physical development with some new ideas and wanting to be better prepared for tough contested physical footy.

Our midfield which can be flaky in big games will take a step forward with the addition of a stoppage coach and a forward structure that they can go to confidently with system.

tl;dr I think we are on the right track and continual changes based on evidence will further improve the team and results. Top 4 next year. ;)

And we'll continue to hear the complaints from the vocal pessimists that we've still not achieved anything and Koch and KT should be sacked.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/port-a...imes-for-gold-coast-suns-20170919-gykrz7.html
"Ken and Donna Hinkley wanted security. Hinkley did not want to coach with a metaphoric gun to his head and whatever you say about the team's improvement this year the coach was adamant the extra pressure did not help. And his wife genuinely found the fishbowl environment in Adelaide when Hinkley felt his job was on the line completely unpleasant."

"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse, playing cricket is not"
- Keith Miller, Australian cricketer and WWII fighter pilot, when asked about pressure in cricket.

btw. I'm adamant that Keith Miller flew and played for a lot ******* less than $500k a year. Catch my drift?

Last edited:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/port-a...imes-for-gold-coast-suns-20170919-gykrz7.html
"Ken and Donna Hinkley wanted security. Hinkley did not want to coach with a metaphoric gun to his head and whatever you say about the team's improvement this year the coach was adamant the extra pressure did not help. And his wife genuinely found the fishbowl environment in Adelaide when Hinkley felt his job was on the line completely unpleasant."

- Keith Miller, Australian cricketer and WWII fighter pilot.

Oh btw, he did both for a lot ******* less than $500k a year. Catch my drift?

I don't believe any of the pilots ever raised their hands to each other in contrition either. FFS. Grow a pair.
:thumbsu:
You forgot and St Kilda footballer 50 games and also 1 for Victoria.

And we'll continue to hear the complaints from the vocal pessimists that we've still not achieved anything and Koch and KT should be sacked.

We haven't finished top-4 after 22 rounds in 10 seasons, but the rapture's due any day now if you just... believe!

- Keith Miller, Australian cricketer and WWII fighter pilot, when asked about pressure in cricket.

I'm adamant that Keith Miller flew and played for a lot ******* less than $500k a year. Catch my drift?

It's almost like the team has taken on the personality of it's coach or something.

I think there are a lot of good arguments to be made that we're on the right track and if we can sort our forward line out then we're a huge flag threat, but I'm not sure how a Port Adelaide supporter can read those comments and not feel a bit sick.

They question has to then be asked , why wasn't this change tried much earlier ? , bloody years wasted trying to play Midget Footy , not recruiting players to suit and on and on , everybody could see what we were doing wasn't working , utter fckn rubbish , and your happy to reward the guy ! , geez standards have slipped .

We've had good points and bad points throughout Hinkley's reign.

We've had gameplan ideas that have worked, others that haven't. We had the slingshot that worked for a season and a bit. We then struggled because that was found out, but we've now got a reasonable plan based on repeat forward entries which sees us dominate the I50 stat.

We've had good Lobbe, then bad Lobbe, then Ryder, then a pinch hitting KPD, then AA Ryder.

We've had the good defence built around Trengove and Carlile, then we had a transition period where we were shaky, then we've built a league leading defence based around Clurey and Jonas and team defence.

We've had a midfield built around peak Boak and Gray which was massive when on but tended to go missing and concede runs of stoppage thrashings. We've now settled that a bit differently based around bigger bodies like Ebert, Wines and SPP.

The one thing that has been totally consistent throughout Hinkley's time here is that our forward setup has been total garbage. We've always relied totally on individual brilliance. We've gone from Schulz playing a lone hand, to the Schulz and Wingard show, taking hangers and slotting them from the 3rd row. We recruited Dixon and now we rely totally on Dixon beating several defenders or Robbie Gray bobbing up and getting the job done.

We've never had a reliable system to create high percentage scoring chances. We've relied on individual brilliance the entire time. We've played some absolutely wonderful footballers in that part of the ground for the entire time Hinkley has been around, and we've never been able to find space in our forward line to work. It's never been made a priority by our coaches and as such we can never score enough against good teams to beat them. Our forward line has only every flourished when we've had a class advantage. Never because we worked harder, and never because our strategy was too good.

Can Hinkley fix it?
Brilliant !

What about the paid up members that are ok with it?
I get your point but i'm not going to waste time worrying about whats already done. Bigger things in life than just footy.
Ken got his contract whether we agree or not and i liked the selections of the last few weeks. If we kept going in with the same tried and failed then i would be pissed off immensely and calling for heads.We tried something different and rolled the dice. If we kicked straight the Eagles game wouldve been won.
In the unpopular opinions thread i stated that we weren't going to win a flag so lets play the kids, i pretty much got what i wanted although i wouldve liked at least another final for the likes of Houston, Bonner, SPP,Marshall etc.
I'm ok with it all at this point.
I suppose im more on about the wasted oppotunities of the last three years , the terrible forward set up/entries , the matey matey with serial under performers , terrible on field leadership and so on . We all have seen it and KH is responsible and i still say the majority did'nt want him to get an extensionb let alone 3+ , the Club leadership knows this to , but pressed on regardless , shades of 2009 which i thought would never happen again . If people just give up and accept it , it will happen again and again .

She means a club where the players and coach are accountable to the members, like back in the old days. Which worked in a semi-professional environment, but in a professional one it actually hinders success because most members don't have a clue about modern football and how it is played.

Yeah man, expecting incremental performance improvement as the minimum
standard for continued contract renewal is so 80s.

I'm adamant that Keith Miller flew and played for a lot ******* less than $500k a year. Catch my drift?
Fancy being paid a ship load of money to work in a high profile performance based industry and being expected to perform. :rolleyes:

As for Donna Hinkley not liking the fishbowl environment in Adelaide, I can honestly say that I would not recognise her if I walked past her in the local supermarket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club would have to realise there’s a sizeable amount of angst around the decision, that words alone can’t address.

IMO, if the club wants to ensure enthusiasm leading into the season proper the club needs to treat the pre-season more seriously, looking for some big wins, with a decent forward structure. Otherwise it risks too many fans waiting to see how Port plays for a few rounds, after early mixed signals. With then saying ‘good I’ll join as a just three game (rather than 11) member’ or ‘I’ll consider now again in 2018’.

No more deck chairs and easing into the season, we don’t have credits in the bank to do that, we need to hit the ground at full pace.

Us supporters/members that don't fall in line with everything the PAFC does are going to have to suck it up and hope the clubs management have made the right decision.
Four years is such a long time to vent frustration...
GO PORTS - show us we were wrong.

They question has to then be asked , why wasn't this change tried much earlier ? , bloody years wasted trying to play Midget Footy , not recruiting players to suit and on and on , everybody could see what we were doing wasn't working , utter fckn rubbish , and your happy to reward the guy ! , geez standards have slipped .

Yeah, it wasn't like we drafted Marshall, Harvey, Shaw, Howard, Austin, Frampton and Ladhams and recruited Ryder and Dixon in the 5 years since Hinkley has been here.

There are expectations that inspire and encourage and then their are unreasonable expectations that debilitate.

But the knockers can't see anything but the five inches in front of their face.

Yeah, it wasn't like we drafted Marshall, Harvey, Shaw, Howard, Austin, Frampton and Ladhams and recruited Ryder and Dixon in the 5 years since Hinkley has been here.

There are expectations that inspire and encourage and then their are unreasonable expectations that debilitate.

But the knockers can't see anything but the five inches in front of their face.
All clubs recruit or trade for talls. Your point is?

That was in addition to having Butcher and Schulz already on the list at the start.

It's not Ken's fault that we didn't have a decent list profile when he got here. He's been trying to rectify that over five years, and it takes time. It's why we invested heavily into last year's draft - to fast track the development of Powell-Pepper, Drew, Marshall and Atley so that we could still challenge for a flag with Ryder, Boak and Robbie Gray.

That's why we play with a small forward line. It's nothing to do with having an aversion to talls. It has to do with an aversion to talls that don't want to apply any sort of defensive pressure.

Hinkley is a "meets expectations" guy when expectations are set sufficiently low.

These five heads should be familiar to every general: he who knows them will be victorious; he who knows them not will fail.

Hinkley is a "meets expectations" guy when expectations are set sufficiently low.

These five heads should be familiar to every general: he who knows them will be victorious; he who knows them not will fail.

If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.

I think there are a lot of good arguments to be made that we're on the right track and if we can sort our forward line out then we're a huge flag threat, but I'm not sure how a Port Adelaide supporter can read those comments and not feel a bit sick.
IF it is true, who was in that room that told Caro that stuff is my question?
Who has betrayed the club?
Plus releasing the pressure a bit could be just what is needed for optimal performance.

Anyway I despise this city when Crows are flying and we are not. I can imagine that pressure is tenfold for the coaches wife.

IF it is true, who was in that room that told Caro that stuff is my question?
Who has betrayed the club?
Plus releasing the pressure a bit could be just what is needed for optimal performance.

Anyway I despise this city when Crows are flying and we are not. I can imagine that pressure is tenfold for the coaches wife.

Being under stress and expectation to succeed shouldn't be top secret information. There wouldn't be a coach in the AFL that doesn't have a heap of expectation on them. Ken himself has been on the record asking himself if he's up to the task.

As for the forward line stuff, we can legitimise the necessity for a small forward line all we like and make the assumption that players like Frampton (a big part of the future but not one game this year) and Eddy (topic done to death) weren't up to it for whatever reason. It still doesn't explain the gold pass handed to certain small/medium sized players that offered us absolutely nothing all year.

Being under stress and expectation to succeed shouldn't be top secret information. There wouldn't be a coach in the AFL that doesn't have a heap of expectation on them. Ken himself has been on the record asking himself if he's up to the task.
There's good stress and bad stress mate. This city sucks it out of you. The Hinkleys aren't robots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back