Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

So assume once he has been best 22 for a few years you will want to trade him ala Breust??

If his performance dipped & he could be covered by someone else on the list & he had trade value that would improve the overall potential scoring output of the team....
Every day of the week.
But that could take 5-7 years, another premiership or 2.... but hey what do I know right.
This isn't a hypothetical thread btw.

Anyway.... still looking forward to watching Ollie play out the season for Box Hill & hope he can produce some magic for the finals

Yesterday's Essendon game was the first chance I got to see Ollie for the first time, and there's definitely signs to suggest he'll make an impression at AFL level; a good developed body, speed and can turn, pivot and dodge ala Sam Mitchell (a trait not many junior players seem to portray).

Still a lot of development ahead of him but I was impressed by his attributes.
Came over to post the same thing. First time seeing him and was impressed. Half the time I could only tell it was him when his agility caught my eye.

Looks very promising.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What's the major knock on Ollie? Is it size? Ball winning ability? Unknown factor of playing APS and not TAC? Late to sport due to his interest in Cricket?

Has a lot of potential, but slid down to late in the Rookie draft (pick 50?), so 120 kids taken before him

What's the major knock on Ollie? Is it size? Ball winning ability? Unknown factor of playing APS and not TAC? Late to sport due to his interest in Cricket?

Has a lot of potential, but slid down to late in the Rookie draft (pick 50?), so 120 kids taken before him

He was our 1st Rookie pick.
Recruiters I know surprised he was still there.

Old story. Beauty in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes guys slide because of needs etc

His debut season review on the HFC website seems very positive.

Love the first line.

“He is only a young kid but his name was even thrown up towards the end of the year to get a game in the seniors. He was in good enough form to be considered over those last couple of weeks.

“There is no reason why he can’t slot in and play some senior footy next year.

There is plenty to like about this fella. He'll play at some point next year and I think once he's in he'll stay in.

Seems to have something a bit special about him, to be sure.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I really like the small amount i have seen from him.

Imagine the melts when people realize not only are Jaeger and Tom going to dominate for the better part of a decade, we also nailed those late selections with Cousins, Ollie and Morrison. Who needs a first round pick when you can be the Hawthorn Football Club.

Last edited:
Is that right? That's just like a bigger Primary list isn't it? What can't a Rookie do?

Be traded I think is one of the few limitations still existing.

I honestly like what I've seen with Ollie and he makes me willing to lose someone like Breust because he could be that sort of player. He's very, very quick and has flashes of brilliance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be traded I think is one of the few limitations still existing.

I honestly like what I've seen with Ollie and he makes me willing to lose someone like Breust because he could be that sort of player. He's very, very quick and has flashes of brilliance.
I like him too. Lightning fast decision making. His quick handballs are pretty awesome

Looks like he wants to win. Has a Puopolo attitude

Is that right? That's just like a bigger Primary list isn't it? What can't a Rookie do?
Cat B rookie like Nash can't play senior footy
Cat A rookie can and they are treated differently towards TPP than senior listed players

Cat B rookie like Nash can't play senior footy

Without being elevated I presume?

Glass was elevated this year so I assume we still have this option open for Nash next year if he deserves a game as long as the LTI provisions stay unchanged. But then what is the point of having an LTI category if standard rookies can already play senior footy at any time?.

Without being elevated I presume?

Glass was elevated last year so I assume we still have this option open for him next year if he deserves a game that is if the LTI stay unchanged.
I don't know that you can elevate a cat b during the year, they are pretty much completely outside the cap
That's not to say that Nash will still be a cat b next year either

Damn!

I forgot that Glass was a standard rookie this year!. :oops:

Silly me. :)
Yeah we weren't allowed to have two Irish cat b rookies due to the agreement with GAA

You can elevate a Cat B during the year (at least you could in the old CBA).

The one that's in my head is Luxford from Geelong,
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-05-27/luxford-earns-promotion

but both Keath and Greenwood are Cat B's at Adelaide I thought and played senior footy this year ? [EDIT: maybe Greenwood was already promoted on second thought]

He needs a lot more development, several pre-seasons worth, to be up for the rigours of regular AFL footy. Not coming from the TAC system he lacked the basic conditioning that playing in that system provides and that showed up in the injury interruptions he had this season.

If he has a decent preseason to protect his hamstrings then hopefully he'll get a debut game and a maybe a few others in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back