Review Geelong defeats Port Adelaide by 34 points @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

I am absolutely loving these kids! This is the most excited I’ve been over draftees in a very long time!!

So we should be! We had 8 players under 30 games to Port's 3. Playing 4 teenagers to Port's 0. We were missing all 3 of our recognised key position players and plenty of other quality. And we gave them a nice touch up. All the recent draftees were impressive in one way or another.

Port fans absolute disgrace in that game will be leaving my thoughts on the port board
Well done you for having the courage + loyalty, just hope to see you today, not in a few days! #CourageLoyalty #StandProud

around here I'd be thinking some sort of seismic rumblings, fairly common

I'm in NSW, New England, perhaps Barnaby farted?

Do not mean that! Adore Barnaby's efforts for New England + congratulate him on the birth of baby Sebastian :hearts:

Yep. Nothing short of a sh1t effort. Heck, they booed after we took the free kick after Thomas got reported. Serious concerns for brain capacity there. Did Selwood do something wrong?? Will he go for headbutting Lindsay's hip??

Yes, Scooter eight weeks for head butting Thomas' hip, another two weeks for deliberate, plus another four weeks for deliberate head high head butt to hip - Scooter is gawn!!!

I had a wee squiz at the Port board, Selwood milked his concussion, now I've heard it all.

Inbreds.
Yeah, because most Port fans have a much better grasp of medicine + head injuries than doctors, right? I'd have to say that most Port fans are smarter than neurologists, you know, just because they know every*******thing!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unsavoury you say. I raise you this.

That is seriously uncalled for

I thought the ones celebrating the hit or saying the only thing wrong is that it wasn't Joel or Danger were bad:
  • And im proud of Linsey doing that to him. GO THE POWER!
  • Shame it wasn’t Joel and actually hit him in the head
  • Anyone who knocks out a Selwood deserves a Brownlow. ❤️
  • Just unfortunate it wasn't Joel Selwood or Danger
The comments were pretty split between great hit but wish it was Joel and dog act, he needs to go. I don't get celebrating a hit that causes injury or wishing that injury on someone else when we know the long term damage that concussions can have - never get that mindset

Looked like he punched the ground if anything.

I also though him trying to defend Thomas from having the bump categorised as intentional was a joke - "just because he ran past the ball doesn't mean it's intentional. For it to be intentional, he has to show intent to cause injury.". WTF?????

If running past the ball to bump a guy high isn't intentional then what is intentional? If he was actually playing the ball & collected Scooter high as a result of that then you can agree with careless, but as soon as a player takes their eyes off the ball & runs past the ball it becomes an intentional act
Let Maclure (spelling?) + Dermie just wallow in their high intensity :poo:

This one's always funny too.

17813-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

How great was that first GF win in 44 years?

Also, the way we utterly flogged them, obviously still stings them.

Wells hit a flat-ish spot in the 09-13 years (to be fair a lot of those picks had the talent but failed due to injuries which isn't the recruiters fault) but his last 3 drafts have been outstanding-menegola parsons parfitt stewart esava fogarty kelly zuthrie simpson henry not all are completely afl ready but they show enough to suggest they will make it and our future is sustainable.

Wells hit a flat-ish spot in the 09-13 years (to be fair a lot of those picks had the talent but failed due to injuries which isn't the recruiters fault) but his last 3 drafts have been outstanding-menegola parsons parfitt stewart esava fogarty kelly zuthrie simpson henry not all are completely afl ready but they show enough to suggest they will make it and our future is sustainable.

09 was a good draft just unlucky ... we have Duncan and Menz playing now..so who knows what could have been.. without studying other clubs he was probably about par in that era.. his flat spot was just in relation to his best... even 2012 looks like it will produce two 100 game players.
2010 Guthrie , 2011 Blitz and Murdoch , 2012 Thurlow , 2013 Kolo. Plenty have done worse with a lot better picks imo

Looking at the drafts recently we really have tweaked the way we drafted blending mature types in with the u18's ..the moneyball picks have really been about doing what he can while using R1s in trades... and these moneyball picks generally have delivered very playable types.. closer to ready to go less development .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...I didn't like the constant slapping the ball in the direction of a teammate only to see it roved by a Port midfielder. Win the ball and use it properly. Not surprised Joel won that medal, he was courageous out there. Apart from that great goal GHS kicked in the last, I thought he was too slow and fumbled the ball too much, same old story really. Stanley really had a s**t game tonight.

Overall, it was a good standard game and the way the boys won it was very encouraging.
On Horlin-Smith, 26 touches, 14 contested and two goals, plus my own eyes suggest you are wrong.
Under the conditions it was an exceptional win, perhaps the best win we have had for several seasons.

Kolo - becoming a real dour defender back there. Does the hard stuff and cleans up marks. becoming very dependable.
Stewart - Honours the #44 - cant be a bigger credit than that.
Kelly - Classy and becoming an early bolter for rookie of the year.
Fog - Lifting nicely and becoming a really good contributor to the 22
Sav - competes and makes the hard stuff his business.
BLitz has found his niche - Down back.

Luved all the efforts and its a great win.

GO Catters
Ineligible. He's 23, must not be older than 21 during the year in question. Silly rule really, it should not matter whether you're 18 or 30.

Last edited:
For two smaller blokes, Parfitt and Fogarty sure know how to stick a tackle - such an underrated skill. They're exactly the type of players we've been sorely missing recently, and they're even more damaging with ball in hand.
Add Stewart to that list.
Loved when Gray thought he would be able to baulk around him on the mark in the 2nd quarter but Tom held onto him and forced a contest

16 touches, 5 tackles, twice did very courageous acts and kicked the key goal of the game when he had to. It was a win for us from our 21/22nd picked.
I don't rely solely on stats to form an opinion.

So we should be! We had 8 players under 30 games to Port's 3. Playing 4 teenagers to Port's 0. We were missing all 3 of our recognised key position players and plenty of other quality. And we gave them a nice touch up. All the recent draftees were impressive in one way or another.

This is the thing for me. 8 blokes under 30 games. And several new players this year. Its just awesome to see the rebuild/retool occurring under our very noses.. or as the Crows fan would say..."right in front of me"!!!!

GO Catters

lol
quakes are common enough that the small ones make me wonder if I'd just shaken the chair with a blast myself
:D
Try living on a fault line.

Dumbest thing ever - but that feeling IS NOT fun when the s**t under you moves. Talk about the universe reminding you of what real power is all about..

GO Catters

The finger prints of Mr's Scarlett and Enright are all over the back 6 - 8 that have been through there this year.

Hard at the ball and the contest - play the structure and your role and play for your fellow defenders but when it's your time to go, you go.
They are not afraid to leave their men and help out and they do the hard running to support the offensive side of the game.

To think that as seasoned viewers of this club we are drawing comparisons - albeit loose ones - to the greats that have gone before them - we really are lucky as supporters to be able to even dream about this.

They have a massively long way to go to replicate what has been before them - but imagine the Blues, Suns, Saints, Pies supporters with all their picks and trades to get defenders - and we are pulling a Rookie pick 16 from 2 years ago that is standing up - and a pick 40 from 2 years ago that is channeling his inner Boris and playing like the great man in the 44 before him.

GFC dont always get it right, and sometimes really stink it up, but this really IMO is a thing of beauty at the moment. It might get smashed next week, but im appreciating it all right now.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back