Review Geelong defeats Port Adelaide by 34 points @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

;););)

For the trivia. . . my family nickname was 'Pussy', however, my brother utterly forbade me from using 'Pussy' on the internet. No one in our family is called by their first name, because there are four generations with the same Christian names. The 'gaspers' term came from watching The House of Elliot, a character named Pussy Bainbridge declared "I'm dying for a gasper!" + so it stuck :joycat::joycat::joycat: I also thin it is a wonderful term ;)
I always loved the part in that James Bond film when the hot girl introduces herself as "Pussy Galore" and Sean Connery says "I must be dreaming". Wouldn't get away with it these days.

I thought he was fairly solid.
Some of his best actual ruck work in a while; a mixed bag around the ground but got back more than once and um, disrupted marking contests.
Haven't seen the game yet but stats show 45 hitouts. Must have been to the Port guys. Such a pity, he has it all but seems to lack footy smarts &/or desire.

Terrific win. Unfortunately was at a dinner party but host was kind enough to have the tv on so was able to see most of it.

Particularly impressed with young Henry’s game. Only had a handful or so touches but took a couple of really telling marks. He is perhaps the tall back we have been wanting and needing for a while - one with the height to play on a tall forward but also one with the athleticism to not slow our back six down. Terrific prospect.

Fogarty is improving each week. His composure and decision making with the footy is top shelf. Again, a player we have needed for such a long time - one that can stick a tackle up forward and one that can be relied upon to kick it straight from a set shot.

Otherwise the other pleasing aspect for me was our game plan. I couldn’t watch the whole match but from what I saw we played a man on man game for much of the night rather than falling back to that ridiculous guarding of space tactic. Finally it appears that the penny may have dropped that this is how we should be playing.

Defensive pressure all over the ground was top shelf. And it continued unlike our other games this year most importantly from the opening bounce to the final siren.

I’m surprised we were able to get over them away with such a young team. Maybe our best 22 now is not quite the team most of us thought it was only a week ago?

Played 4 good quarters instead of the 2 we have been playing. And didn’t we look like a good team.Well done, now let’s keep it going.
Looking forward to next week.
Fogarty 9 tackles? Parfitt, GHS, Menegola not far behind him. Cool.

Last edited:
Menzel did not have his kicking boots on, can't always play a blinder. Nevertheless he never stopped trying and that Stevie J pass to Menegola resulted in a goal. Big heart, solid effort.
Bews seemed neat, tidy and utterly reliable. These days I seem to expect him to win every contest, and he usually does.
Blicavs was excellent, and should be the key bigman in defense for probably the rest of the season.
Stewart; I find it incredible how such a ready-made utility-defender can play with such assurance and read the game like a kids story book after such little time in the AFL. He's fast, great on the ground, great in the air (usually giving away height) and a brilliant decision-maker.
I loved the way Parfitt and Parsons worked their way into the game. Parfitt looked a little off, earlier but got better as the game went on.
Thurlow, was good. A better option than Zuthrie at the moment, should keep his place.
Stanley. What can I say? Simply not good enough.
Kolo. Solid, a great saving mark, still hoping he can get that goal, doesn't seem fazed.
Horlin-Smith, has played similar games before but probably not as important. There is obviously a place for him.

I never felt that we were in danger, we seemed to play with far more assurance than Port. It seemed inevitable that we were going to win and half-way through the last quarter Port players appeared mentally demoralised, this can happen when you attack again and again only to have the ball rebounded every time. A thirty plus win is a great reward for a fantastic effort from the boys.

Well, I really wasn't expecting to win this one. I usually stay up for late games (live in Vancouver - this was on at 3am), but this time I went to bed, expecting to watch the highlights in the morning. Can't believe we got up by 5-6 goals. Watched the replay this morning and I was amazed at how even the contribution was across the board. Also, arguably the best line on the ground was the one most decimated by injury. The backline seems to bear the stamp of its royal origins, doesn't it? Amazing performance. Having said that, the delivery from Port's mids wasn't great at times, thanks to an even pressure contribution from Sel / Dunc / Menegola / Danger etc. Port must genuinely hate us for pulling their pants down so many times. Here are some fantastic quotes from their board this morning:

"Hope most of the people that worked at the ford factory were cats fans when it closed, f***ing hate that plastic mob"

"I hate myself for choosing this team."

"I feel like every person involved at our club is completely full of s**t and I’m having a real hard time having an ounce of respect for any of them. I’ve mentally checked out."

"I’ll just say I enjoyed seeing ‘Ready player one’ in 3D at iMax with the family, because my investment in this club now means as we head home my blood pressure is rising at ‘same Ken s**t, same Ken channel’."

"Glad we got to see how ******* disgusting lindsey thomas is as a footballer
He can get the **** out of my club."

Delicious.

Parfitt's football acumen is superb.
Fogarty continues to surprise me just how clean and composed he is.
Jake K is coming into his own this year I reckon, and Jed Bews has been immense.

One clear negative was Stanley. Actively seeks to avoid contact and just floats in games. Zac Smith must come in next week.

Parfitt's football acumen is superb.
Fogarty continues to surprise me just how clean and composed he is.
Jake K is coming into his own this year I reckon, and Jed Bews has been immense.

One clear negative was Stanley. Actively seeks to avoid contact and just floats in games. Zac Smith must come in next week.
What about the Parfitt and parsons tapping-Parfitt was so clever.

Well, I really wasn't expecting to win this one. I usually stay up for late games (live in Vancouver - this was on at 3am), but this time I went to bed, expecting to watch the highlights in the morning. Can't believe we got up by 5-6 goals. Watched the replay this morning and I was amazed at how even the contribution was across the board. Also, arguably the best line on the ground was the one most decimated by injury. The backline seems to bear the stamp of its royal origins, doesn't it? Amazing performance. Having said that, the delivery from Port's mids wasn't great at times, thanks to an even pressure contribution from Sel / Dunc / Menegola / Danger etc. Port must genuinely hate us for pulling their pants down so many times. Here are some fantastic quotes from their board this morning:

"Hope most of the people that worked at the ford factory were cats fans when it closed, f***ing hate that plastic mob"

"I hate myself for choosing this team."

"I feel like every person involved at our club is completely full of s**t and I’m having a real hard time having an ounce of respect for any of them. I’ve mentally checked out."

"I’ll just say I enjoyed seeing ‘Ready player one’ in 3D at iMax with the family, because my investment in this club now means as we head home my blood pressure is rising at ‘same Ken s**t, same Ken channel’."

"Glad we got to see how ******* disgusting lindsey thomas is as a footballer
He can get the **** out of my club."

Delicious.
'Plastic mob'....wtf, I've never heard us called that before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And 5 tackles.
And a team-leading 7 One-Percenters.
He didn't star, but he played his part.
Yep. And that’s two weeks in a row. Only those that made up their minds about him long ago are calling for his head.

Tom Stewart moves around the backline like Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi and Matty Scarlet is sitting back in the coaches box chillin like Yoda. "The force is strong with this one." One of Bews' best games IMO. He read the play so well, running from out of position into front spot to intercept mark and lunging at the ball with his go go gadget spoil, I haven't seen someone towel up Wingard that well since his mum had him in diapers. Blicavs in defence has steadied our whole back structure and it keeps the opposition forwards more accountable. His transition running clogs up the counter attack and also allows other defenders to play off their man. What a great defender he could become! Kolo's mark on the last line of defence was Harry Taylor like, he just keeps getting better.
Hyphens best game for the club adds even more depth to our midfield. He just picked up where Scooter left off and he really worked into the game and come of age on the AFL stage right before our eyes. Parfitt and Fogarty where relentless at the man. They make every tackle stick and have really been unbelievably consistent at playing their roles. Menegola has gone into fifth gear in the last 3 weeks. His impact has lifted his team mates and he really continues to grow as a footballer. Kicking straighter at goal and finding best option under pressure he is a jet. Dangers best game for the year and I thought was nearly best on ground. Skip was on fire in the 1st qtr and set the tone early on. Duncan is starting to get some form back and won't be far off hitting his straps. Kelly keeps impressing and continues to hit the scoreboard. And probably Stanley's best ruck game in a while but had a pretty easy opponent for most of the night.
Menzel could have kicked 3 again last night but it goes to show how much Hawkins being in the side helps Dans game up forward. I really noticed what Hawkins has done this year by watching Menzel get double teamed so much. Big Sav is my new cult hero. Seriously can we all just take a minute to appreciate what this guy is doing. What a god send to have such a big mobile Forward/Ruck that can kick straight and apply contest all over the ground as well as being so ferocious at the ball and lay huge tackles. This was a great win and it has solidified what our club is capable of this year. Our depth is now worthy of a premiership side and I truly do believe we can be the best team in the comp by the end of this season!

Tom Stewart moves around the backline like Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi and Matty Scarlet is sitting back in the coaches box chillin like Yoda. "The force is strong with this one." One of Bews' best games IMO. He read the play so well, running from out of position into front spot to intercept mark and lunging at the ball with his go go gadget spoil, I haven't seen someone towel up Wingard that well since his mum had him in diapers. Blicavs in defence has steadied our whole back structure and it keeps the opposition forwards more accountable. His transition running clogs up the counter attack and also allows other defenders to play off their man. What a great defender he could become! Kolo's mark on the last line of defence was Harry Taylor like, he just keeps getting better.
Hyphens best game for the club adds even more depth to our midfield. He just picked up where Scooter left off and he really worked into the game and come of age on the AFL stage right before our eyes. Parfitt and Fogarty where relentless at the man. They make every tackle stick and have really been unbelievably consistent at playing their roles. Menegola has gone into fifth gear in the last 3 weeks. His impact has lifted his team mates and he really continues to grow as a footballer. Kicking straighter at goal and finding best option under pressure he is a jet. Dangers best game for the year and I thought was nearly best on ground. Skip was on fire in the 1st qtr and set the tone early on. Duncan is starting to get some form back and won't be far off hitting his straps. Kelly keeps impressing and continues to hit the scoreboard. And probably Stanley's best ruck game in a while but had a pretty easy opponent for most of the night.
Menzel could have kicked 3 again last night but it goes to show how much Hawkins being in the side helps Dans game up forward. I really noticed what Hawkins has done this year by watching Menzel get double teamed so much. Big Sav is my new cult hero. Seriously can we all just take a minute to appreciate what this guy is doing. What a god send to have such a big mobile Forward/Ruck that can kick straight and apply contest all over the ground as well as being so ferocious at the ball and lay huge tackles. This was a great win and it has solidified what our club is capable of this year. Our depth is now worthy of a premiership side and I truly do believe we can be the best team in the comp by the end of this season!
Yes Big Sav has come out of nowhere

I had him tagged as the archetypal "project" player who would do squat.

Not afraid to use his frame in the contest

On Horlin-Smith, 26 touches, 14 contested and two goals, plus my own eyes suggest you are wrong.
Under the conditions it was an exceptional win, perhaps the best win we have had for several seasons.

Anyone who is critical of Horlin -Smiths game last night are just showing how little they actually know about the game.
By any measure, he was in our best players

Last edited:
Otherwise the other pleasing aspect for me was our game plan. I couldn’t watch the whole match but from what I saw we played a man on man game for much of the night rather than falling back to that ridiculous guarding of space tactic. Finally it appears that the penny may have dropped that this is how we should be playing.

Defensive pressure all over the ground was top shelf. And it continued unlike our other games this year most importantly from the opening bounce to the final siren.
Not sure about the first para here; still setting up a defensive zone which is the ‘guarding space’ we all hate so much.

But the difference is your second point. When you apply pressure to the kicker and also your zone is intent on moving and applying pressure it works. It’s the zone standing still that has killed us over the years (and given me many grey hairs).

Maybe we are getting the balance right?

Great win.

Port lost it when they started chipping it around instead of playing fast, they did seem to lack toughness in the middle as well.

Defence was very good, Blicavs should stay there instead of being a second ruck. With Blicavs and Kolo we at least have 2 KPDs. Henry and Stewart do pretty well as 3rd tall types. Think its a good mix now with Thurlow there as well, he didnt get much of it but his quick decision making and good disposal makes a big difference.

GHS was the standout, if he can play well in the middle it allows the guns to play more game time elsewhere. What I like about him when he is playing well is that he has a good inside and outside game.

Parsons was also quite good, just does enough good things to stay in the side.

The balance of kids to senior players is at a good level now.

I always loved the part in that James Bond film when the hot girl introduces herself as "Pussy Galore" and Sean Connery says "I must be dreaming". Wouldn't get away with it these days.

Ha! Followed by "You're a woman of many parts, Pussy" ;)

No sadly, wouldn't get away with it, a shame really, because my family nickname was so innocent.

Wells hit a flat-ish spot in the 09-13 years (to be fair a lot of those picks had the talent but failed due to injuries which isn't the recruiters fault) but his last 3 drafts have been outstanding-menegola parsons parfitt stewart esava fogarty kelly zuthrie simpson henry not all are completely afl ready but they show enough to suggest they will make it and our future is sustainable.
And I reckon Narkle could be a decent player too

Not sure about the first para here; still setting up a defensive zone which is the ‘guarding space’ we all hate so much.

But the difference is your second point. When you apply pressure to the kicker and also your zone is intent on moving and applying pressure it works. It’s the zone standing still that has killed us over the years (and given me many grey hairs).

Maybe we are getting the balance right?

I was up and down all night so missed large parts but thought we paid far more attention to observing our opponents than in previous weeks. I think you are correct though - we applied most of that pressure on reflection through the middle of the ground where the “kicker” was stationed on most occasions.

When they retained possession and started chipping it around we looked to go more to a 1 on 1 scenario. Maybe that’s where the change was in getting the balance right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back