Review Geelong defeats Port Adelaide by 34 points @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was fairly solid.
Some of his best actual ruck work in a while; a mixed bag around the ground but got back more than once and um, disrupted marking contests.
Servicable game I thought. Not a natural ruck, but MC must see something in him- or perhaps something lacking in Smith.( is he carrying an injury?)
The Age had him amongst our best..o_O

What about the Parfitt and parsons tapping-Parfitt was so clever.
I loved that. For such young players, they have that gift of cleverness near the ball, which can't really be taught. Can see why they're both so highly rated by the MC. Parfitt is a gem.

I think it also needs to be said that a lot of the success in this game was born out of Port not having a decent ruck setup. This should shine a light on how much we need to fix our ruck situation if we're going anywhere successful in the next few years.
Difficult problem to fix though. Agree with you but they have tried over the last 5 years or so but none have worked out. Who have we had? Stephenson, West, HMac, Clarke, Read, Lucey, Stanley, Smith and Abbott. Finding an A Grade ruck is not an easy task but you would think we would definitely be targeting one in the draft. The problem being the success rate and also how long it would normally take them to develop anyway. In saying that, Tim
English looks good early on but yet again he is a top 20 draft pick and I don’t think we have the currency to trade in an A grader.

A couple of terrific goals from Kelly + Horlin-Smith

Each of those goals were directed to Kelly and GHS by Ratugolea. Hawkins would be doing that, but he’s a veteran. Stanley could not do that/would not be doing that. The kid is growing in each game, like Fogarty. Starting to feel that they belong.

Especially given that he only had 15mins to warm up before the game
From Joel’s comments post game I think he was likely to play all week, they just gave Hawkins a chance to try and warm up and when he didn’t GHS was a confirmed starter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutsy win tonight. It’s like final footy tonight...the young blokes make me think of Rooke, Chappy, Bartel and Corey

It truly was! The intensity was terrific from the beginning. Considering Port won the Disposals 389 to Geelong's 347 but lost the game is a credit to our Boyz. While Port appeared systematic, they were slower than their usual game + Geelong took advantage of their turnovers.

We're really fortunate to have the young guys, who played like guns last night. Really proud of them + the whole team effort.

Geelong won the Hitouts 64-42 + kudos to Ratugolea 19 + Stanley 45.

Stewart, Blicavs + Tuohy kept Dixon goalless, fantastic effort.

Horlin-Smith - 26 Disposals, 14 Contested Possessions, 2 Goals
Parfitt - 23 Disposals
Kelly - 20 Disposals, 1 Goal
Parsons - 2 Goals (who'd have thought?)

Good, solid games from the young guys.

Thought we won in the coaches box. Well done Scotty (and Scarlo for getting our makeshift backline to work so well).
Totally agree. Port didn't even look like taking a mark inside fifty.

I haven't seen a counter-attacking tactic work as well as it did in the third quarter for a long time.

Now, to fix those clearances...

I would like to give kudos to Chris Scott who we all tend to have a love hate relationship with. Coached well tonight but has also shown how he is willing to back young players in and give them a chance. Got a good young list building when two years ago there wasn’t as much hope.

Also Boris + Scarlo - can see their impact on players, who flourished last night. Thought our Backline was fantastic last night! Geelong scored 4.1.25 from D50 intercepts, to Port's 0.1.1 from their D50 intercepts. Geelong were fantastic at stopping Port's ball movement.

I was at the game and I am amazed anyone is claiming Stanley was good. Against no ruck opposition he still got pushed out of numerous ruck contests really easily. Tuohy kept trying to kick long out of defence to him only for him to be easily out marked and not even compete for the mark in most cases. And he's about 50% slower when chasing an opponent rather than running in for a fast break goal.

They also booed Scott Selwood as he walked off the ground concussed.
Many have deemed he was faking and just wasting time - otherwise he wouldn't have got up & run off the field when the stretcher arrived

I would like to give kudos to Chris Scott who we all tend to have a love hate relationship with. Coached well tonight but has also shown how he is willing to back young players in and give them a chance. Got a good young list building when two years ago there wasn’t as much hope.
Coaching was good last night, but I dispute the giving youth a chance part - injuries have forced the current selections. They are basically a big silver lining, not brilliant coaching.

Coaching was good last night, but I dispute the giving youth a chance part - injuries have forced the current selections. They are basically a big silver lining, not brilliant coaching.
I reckon the youth bit really goes back to earlier selections this year - Zuthrie, Ratugolea, Fogerty...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back