Review Geelong defeats WB at Kp by 44 points

Remove this Banner Ad

reckon im probably reading too much into it but did anyone else notice how flat constable looked tonight, even when he kicked his goal he didn't look happy, reckon scotty bringing him in and out of the side each week might be affecting him.
If that's true he needs to harden up.
(I don't think it's remotely true btw.)

Pretty happy with that win. Sure it was scrappy, but when you have a first game ruckman (and get slaughtered in the ruck), a couple of players hampered and a few players playing poorly and still win by that margin things are looking good. Stanley back will be needed against the better teams though.

Roll on to next week, it’s a nice view on the top of the table. Season is being set up as well as we could have hoped for.

As it stands tonight, we've currently got 3 players in the top 10 for the Coleman. Hawkins is 2nd on 23 goals, Rohan 4th on 20, and Gaz 8th on 18.

reckon im probably reading too much into it but did anyone else notice how flat constable looked tonight, even when he kicked his goal he didn't look happy, reckon scotty bringing him in and out of the side each week might be affecting him.
Yes I saw that but thought he might just be flat about his own lacklustre performance.

Agree, way too much
CC should count his blessings every time he gets a game.
He is fortunate, not a very special player yet, certainly not best 22, and he needs to be patient.
He got some late goals, but probably realised he was very lucky to be given that game given the meagre performance he delivered prior to those goals.
If Parsons had put in a 3 q effort like that, +/- some goals, he'd be castigated on this board.
CC may be an upgrade on him, but he is certainly not in a position to be pissed off about not being a regular yet.

I keep reading this and I don’t get it. To my eye at the ground we won and I see the hitout count is 40-28 our way. Now you might say we should have won by more given who we were up against but to say we were beaten let alone murdered seems, how do I put this, wrong?

I thought that Trengrove clearly beat us. He was able to win 18 touches around the ground along with I think more effective hit outs than mainly Abbott.

I though on a positive note that Fort did better the longer the game went on. 3 goals is a good return. Still think that the mobility and pressure that Ratagolea brings is very underrated though. That was missing tonight. I’d still though play Fort for at least another week.

I thought that Trengrove clearly beat us. He was able to win 18 touches around the ground along with I think more effective hit outs than mainly Abbott.

I though on a positive note that Fort did better the longer the game went on. 3 goals is a good return. Still think that the mobility and pressure that Ratagolea brings is very underrated though. That was missing tonight. I’d still though play Fort for at least another week.
Can we please stop pretending that Ratagolea provides this intangible quality to the forward line? He is awful and Forts goals today just affirmed that.

The worst game I've seen us play in a long time. Most of the players had no interest.

The attitude has stunk a bit last two weeks I reckon. There is a loss coming (that is no bad thing). The big question will be the response.

The interesting thing for me is how easy we have won last three weeks with minimal effort.

Good or bad thing? Let’s see.

Says a lot about how well Kelly's going that he can have a 10 clearance, 8 inside-50, 2 goal assist game and people say he was below his best.

He was down on his normal outout across 4 qtrs but when the game was on the line in the last qtr he made a couple of really special class involvements that turned it our way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you win by 8 goals playing that badly you’re travelling pretty well.

What troubles me is Dogs played the blueprint game to beat us and others will copy it and be better at it.

Loved Duncan, Selwood, Rohan, Hawkins, Fort.

Thought the back six had a shocker.

We had our arse handed to us in the midfield. Dangerfield invisible and Kelly only got going late.

Overall, a familiar refrain: bank the 4 points and move on.
Yeah the back six can be exposed when they zone off too much. Teams that lower their eyes and honour the lead can create problems. That’s why pressure up the ground is paramount.

I didn’t really think so. To be clear I thought Abbott was poor around the ground but I just don’t think we got done in the ruck at all. If anything I think it showed we lacked chemistry between our rucks and mids. I’m guessing our HO to adv stats won’t be good reading.

And Clark isn't an AFL footballer. I didn't like the selection at the time and I still don't.
Certainly has a lot to learn. Not overly impressed with him in the last three or so games he's played.
Wouldn't hesitate to drop him if fitness of others permits blokes to come in.

Good:

Rohan, Taylor, Duncan

Poor:

Parfitt, Guthrie, Abbott, Blicavs, Kolodjashnij, Constable, Clark
Agree with them all except Kolodjashnij. Reasons?
Parfitt is an enigma to me atm. He's become a tease.

I keep reading this and I don’t get it. To my eye at the ground we won and I see the hitout count is 40-28 our way. Now you might say we should have won by more given who we were up against but to say we were beaten let alone murdered seems, how do I put this, wrong?

During the 3rd quarter I tried to pay more attention to the ruck contests to see how Abbott was actually going - he seemed to win hitouts (especially around the ground) with a bit of ease, but he wasn't really getting it to our advantage.

The Bulldogs seemed to have a player loose out the back of ruck contests and more often than not, their spare seemed to rove the hitout from Abbott. Maybe a lack of understanding or chemistry between ruckman & midfielders - a connection that does grow the longer they play alongside each other

We won the hitouts but imo our stoppage and clearance structures were off. So many times the Dogs had the numbers on the outside of the stoppage and when they won it it ended up as a pure clearance and forward entry.
Wouldn't say the ruckwork was the issue per se, but to be fair at the same time it was hardly quality opposition to gauge where they are at as AFL footballers.

If you'd said that at the start of the year, I wouldn't have believed you. That's amazing (especially Rohan!)
I remember seeing an article titled "Can the Garys combine for 100 this year?" During the pre-season. Most comments were about how they'd be lucky to combine for 30 goals.

They're on track for about 90 at this rate

As it stands tonight, we've currently got 3 players in the top 10 for the Coleman. Hawkins is 2nd on 23 goals, Rohan 4th on 20, and Gaz 8th on 18.

If Tom was a bit more selfish he may well have won a Coleman or two, or potentially be closer to Cameron this year - as the conversion stats make for pretty impressive reading for both Hawkins & Rohan:

1. Cameron - 30.20 200, 58 marks & converting at 60%

2. Hawkins - 23.9 147, 51 marks & converting at 71.9%

3. Brown - 22.11 143, 33 marks & converting at 66.7%

4. Rohan - 20.5 125, 38 marks & converting at 80%

5. Lynch - 19.11 125, 31 marks & converting at 63.3%

6. DeGoey - 19.14 128, 47 marks & converting at 57.6%

7. Ablett - 18.10 119, 47 marks & converting at 62.1%

8. Kennedy - 18.10 118, 37 marks & converting at 64.3%

9. Membrey - 18.6 114, 46 marks & converting at 75%

Certainly has a lot to learn. Not overly impressed with him in the last three or so games he's played.
Wouldn't hesitate to drop him if fitness of others permits blokes to come in.

Hes got class his running goals last week show that but he needs time in the 2sabd he will get it once guys like Bews and Fogarty are match fit and Menegola is back again etc. He might even get a vfl game next week but will be a very good player long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back