Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m all for sacking Hinkley, but that first quarter is on the players.
If you can’t get up for a game of AFL then GTFO.

Hinkley isn’t responsible for global warming
Or the players come out flat because they know they are going to be outcoached and they are pushing s**t up hill.

I couldn't be a more excitable passionate Port fan and s**t that's how I felt coming into to this game.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brad Scott's demise, this is the top three current coaches in terms of games coached without a premiership - Ross Lyon (293), Nathan Buckley (172) and Ken Hinkley (141). Brad had coached 210 games prior to this round. Rodney Eade leads all time list with 377.

Just imagine if Kochie gets his way and ken becomes a ten year coach

missing-image.jpg

Brad Scott jumped, because he knew he would be pushed by the end of the year.
Hinkley knows we lack the spine to dump him, because our club is currently controlled by cowards.

He won't walk unless he is paid out.
We need to get into North North Melbourne's ear about how good he is at attracting players.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/6889814c718f6e34cec35e6da9c18eb4

Hinkley is philosophical about his side’s loss in Tasmania, which sees it now sitting just outside the league’s top eight - only on percentage - with a 5-5 win-loss record.

“We’re exactly where the ladder says, we’re 5-and-5,” he said. “Getting a read on the competition is really difficult and if you’re not on the end of a loss, you’re lucky enough to end up in victory. We learn as we go.”

He gets paid a heap of money for this schitt. And, guess what, the members of the Club are paying it.

Is Bassett ready? I'd rather see him have the second half of the year with a reasonably fit squad, to see his influence on the group.
Should we sack Ken Hinkley mid season and give the Bassett Hound a go?

I'm not a fan. He is Ross Lyon 2.0 and his fingerprints are all over the congested, low-scoring, negative game plan we've had to endure in recent years. It's telling, when you look at the coaches' box, imo, how close together Hinkley and Bassett sit. Since Hinkley is pretty basic and 'throw Westy back' is about the extent of his tactical nous, I think a lot of what we're seeing is Bassett's strategy coming through. And it's not pretty.

That's not even mentioning the mess he's making of our forward line. I think it was Portia in the gameday thread who commented that Frampton looked like a young guy in desperate need of good coaching, and I agree. I'm not sure who was responsible for appointing Bassett to forwards coach, or what kind of metric they used to assess his competency, but it's patently not paying off. It's a rabble up there.

My biggest fear is we somehow manage to sack Hinkley, but Koch/KT get sucked in by Bassett's data babble and stat-gurgling and make him coach. I just don't know if I could survive the soul-crushing experience that would be a Bassett-coached Port Adelaide, even if we did win slightly more often than we do now.

Last edited:
Hinkley is philosophical about his side’s loss in Tasmania, which sees it now sitting just outside the league’s top eight - only on percentage - with a 5-5 win-loss record.

“We’re exactly where the ladder says, we’re 5-and-5,” he said. “Getting a read on the competition is really difficult and if you’re not on the end of a loss, you’re lucky enough to end up in victory. We learn as we go.”

Lol good to know we’re donating money to his and the rest of the staff & players’ pockets to train, play and enjoy all the trappings of being a pro without any of the responsibility and expectation that comes (came) with playing for Port Adelaide.

No doubt I’ll renew my International Membership next year, I enjoy watching football and it is one of the few things I miss from home.
I find now though that while previously I would plan my weekend around being able to watch the Port game live I now just do other things and then catch up later.
I’m not sure sacking Ken will solve all our issues but right now it’s a step in the right direction as something needs to change.(I have no time for Bassett either... but this is the Hinkley thread)
I’m tired of watching and after 10 minutes being able to predict the outcome of the match.
Our starts have been like this for a few years now. Even my wife (who seldom watches football) will walk in halfway through the first quarter, see the scores and say “you’re wasting your time, they always lose from here”.
I was home a few weeks back, due to work I was unable to schedule it to coincide with a home match. To be honest I didn’t even really argue much as it meant I could spend time with my kids and friends without being angry after another Hinkley inspired loss.
I’m normally fairly optimistic and look for the positives but right now it’s just sad seeing what we’ve become.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have the worst delivery because teams know we won’t spread hard from a turnover and create instant overlap straight away. It’s slow rubbish.

Imagine that team against Geelong in a few weeks. We’ll be lucky to score all night.

I know for a fact that Ken wants them to play brave and go for it, but instead you get players taking an intercept mark and then holding it for five seconds for **** knows what reason. That was the **** we saw LAST YEAR.
Mate, how many times have we played like Hinkley wants us to play?

If Ken fails to make his team to play the way he wants, it is on him. Maybe, he is misjudging his players' capacity to execute his plan. Perhaps, he is being unable to pass his message onto them. It could be that the plan is not a good one. It could be anything. I don't know.

Whatever it is, it isn't working. That's the main issue. We are in Year 6, and it is not working. Worse, there is no sign that it will work. When can we start wondering his plan may never work? When would be the time to conclude that it never will?

There are bigger fishes than Hinkley to fry at the club. I believe that. But Hinkley is not a small one. He matters. His responsibility is big enough for him to be held accountable for the results — and the results are simply not good enough.

He got us in an awful moment and put us back on our feet. That's great. He should be recognized for such an important achievement.

Still, once we got there, the question becomes "now, what?" How many Finals have we won under him? How many minor rounds have we finished in the Top-4 under him? How many Showdowns have we won under him? What's our home record under him? Do those numbers make his reign look good, respectable by the standards our club and supporters measure success?

You tell me...

Last edited:
Mate, if Ken fails to make his team to play the way he wants, it is on him. Maybe, he is misjudging his players' capacity to execute his plan. Perhaps, he is being unable to pass his message onto them. It could be that the plan is not a good one. It could be anything. I don't know.

Whatever it is, it isn't working. That's the main issue. We are in Year 6, and it is not working. Worse, there is no sign that it will work. When can we start wondering his plan may never work? When would be the time to conclude that it never will?

There are bigger fishes than Hinkley to fry at the club. I believe that. But Hinkley is not a small one. He matters. His responsibility is big enough for him to be held accountable for the results — and the results are simply not good enough.

He got us in an awful moment and put us back on our feet. That's great. He should be recognized for such an important achievement.

Still, once we got there, the question becomes "now, what?" How many Finals have we won under him? How many minor rounds have we finished in the Top-4 under him? How many Showdowns have we won under him? What's our home record under him? Do those numbers make his reign look good, respectable by the standards our club and supporters measure success?

You tell me...

Which players have made any significant improvement under him? I have no empirical evidence to base this on - but it just seems like most or our players with any real promise regress under his coaching, not progress.

Largely i agree with you, except on this part. I know where you're coming from, but it shouldn't be an "achievement" per se for a professional coach to turn a struggling team around. Besides there was such an overwhelming injection of new blood across the whole club on and off field as well as cash to support the footy program that no one man can take whole credit for it.

As I've said before, hinkley took another man's list and for a brief moment almost made something of it. He didn't. Now, woth a comprehensive overhaul of that list and his support staff, he's been found wanting.

At the end of the day, his contract manoeuvre at the end of 2017 will go down as a masterstroke of self interest by his corner and a moment of sheer mismanagement by ours. That can only be fixed by his prompt dismissal and the elevation of the best internal candidate to the role. If that means short term pain with fewer support roles, so be it. The fish rots from the head and ours is just about down to the bone.

Should have been gone in 2016 as it was clear then he wasn't taking us anywhere.

Hopefully a loss in China will be the catalyst for action but I still think the injuries will give our weak admin the excuse they need to wait. Even though we all know we'd be in a very similar position with a fully fit list, just floating around the 8, winning some, losing some, having a good laugh along the way.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/6889814c718f6e34cec35e6da9c18eb4

He gets paid a heap of money for this schitt. And, guess what, the members of the Club are paying it.

This is a the ******* tool that coaches this club. He knows he's locked in cashed up and doesn't give a ****.View attachment 680286

Contrast this with the look on Clarko's face when the final siren went (note he was also coaching from the bench in the last quarter) and you'd swear the result was reversed.

One coach clearly comfortable with another poor loss and the other clearly unsatisfied with a rather ugly win!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back