List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so but we have to jump a lot of improving sides. Dogs, Carlton, GC, Melbourne etc will improve. Swans, Crows go backwards IMO. I think we will stay bottom 4 for another year. We were only a point better side than GC and we lose a good percentage of our regular scoring without Bruce. Hill is the only player I imagine would make a big boost on field. If Hanners can stay fit and King plays like a god things can change but a lot would have to go right for us. I think we can be a much better side without going up the ladder. The big improvement will come when Hunter, Battle and co all start to get between 50 and 100 games.
We also had the WORST injury run of any team in the AFL this year (most games missed by those considered best 22 as of late in the year, according to Champion Data, or whoever- with several of those being to our best 5-6), so we'd be pretty bloody stiff if we don't have a better one next year.

I also disagree that only Hill will improve our team.

For starters Robbo was in our best 3 or 4 prior to his heart issues and was our best in the preseason games he played this year, so if we get him back he makes us instantly better.

A fitter Carlisle and/or Hannebery or even just having them for more games helps a bunch.

Jones will comfortably be an upgrade on someone (eg Newnes) and will along with Hill make us quicker, and so will Butler. So we could be a different team, with more speed.

I also see Howard as a likely upgrade on Brown, who is just too one-dimensional and lacking in versatility for the modern game. Howard is likely to be much better suited to the quicker and more athletic types that we've struggled with for years. He's obviously got something going for him if he's going to cost anything like a first rounder.

Him being streets quicker than Brown makes us quicker again.

Then there's the potential for the likes of Clark and Coffield to really improve as soon as next season. It won't necessarily take another 2-3 years.

Then there's the Ratten factor. He might get more out of the group than Richo did and we'll have a whole preseason to get used to the way he wants us to play.

To lock us in to the bottom 4 at this stage is ridiculous IMO.

Last edited:
Okay, there's one thing that is allowing me to remain calm - we still have picks 12 and 18 and haven't done anything with them yet - as long as we have them, doesn't matter how slow the TP is.

we got 5 guys to nominate us ... thats a win in anyones mind ... nothing has happened for 90% of the clubs this trade period so yes we cant celebrate them as heros yet but the fact this late in the peice we are still in the action for all these players is light years ahead of where we were the last 3 years ...
The world is falling down. Maybe people should wait two more days. As you said 5 nominated us.

The world is falling down. Maybe people should wait two more days. As you said 5 nominated us.
To me the fact that five people want to come play for our club is immense - there are eighteen teams across the country and we don't even play that many games on the best stadium in the world - the MCG - yet people want to come to US?! And on every "expert"'s premiership clock, we're at 1 or 2 o clock?! But people want to come here?

That's what's getting oppo supporters worked up - they can't handle us being a destination club.

We also had the WORST injury run of any team in the AFL this year (most games missed by those considered best 22 as of late in the year according to Champion Data or whoever), so we'd be pretty stiff if we don't have a better one next year.

I also disagree that only Hill will improve our team.

For starters Robbo was in our best 3 or 4 prior to his heart issues and was our best in the preseason games he played this year, so if we get him back he makes us instantly better.

A fitter Carlisle and/or Hannebery or even just having them for more games helps a bunch.

Jones will comfortably be an upgrade on someone (eg Newnes) and will along with Hill make us quicker, and so will Butler. So we could be a different team, with more speed.

I also see Howard as a likely upgrade on Brown, who is just too one-dimensional and lacking in versatility for the modern game. Howard is likely to be much better suited to the quicker and more athletic types that we've struggled with for years. He's obviously got something going for him if he's going to cost anything like a first rounder.

Then there's the potential for the likes of Clark and Coffield to really improve as soon as next season. It won't necessarily take another 2-3 years.

Then there's the Ratten factor. He might get more out of the group than Richo did and we'll have a whole preseason to get used to the way he wants us to play.

To lock us in to the bottom 4 at this stage is ridiculous IMO.
Sounds like what you wrote last year on the injury front. You never use injuries as a reason for improving the following year because the next year could be worse. You use the fixture and improving players and new players. Said the exact same thing last year and what happened. Had more injuries this year than last year. The problem next year is as good as our fixture will look it’s very doubtful it’s easier than this year so the improvement next year is all about the players.

This trade period has pretty much gone as I expected - I expcted Kelly deal to be the first because it was such an enormous one and needed to get over and done with to cause everything else would happen - then a bunch of bullshit would happen and then finally on the last day, trade city - hell, even the last hour!

Chicken Nixon tweeted yesterday that Geelong are in front in the bidding for Hill.
just like hawthorn did with Jake when the talks broke down with Essendon .... still cant see Geelong paying two first rounders for Hill to freo as well as taking on Hills contract St Kilda offered ...
i reckon thats just smoke and mirrors ... Geelong levering Freo to get Steven for nothing by making us sweat .... but hey if Geelong are willing to pay what Bell wants for Hill them good luck to them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. People love knocking the afl but if it wasn’t for expansion and the will of the last 2 afl commissions to not lose or merge clubs we would be gone. It’s not the afl fault we are no body club. We had our chances to be a somebody club around 2010. There is only one area we can blame for not becoming a bigger club and it’s us. Now we don’t get king and it’s the afl fault. Laughable.
actually you are getting caught in the perception of success onfield equalling success off field ... in 2010 we had a strong playing list but we were still a nobody in terms of the admin of our club ... if anything the fact we were successful on field plastered over the fact we were not going well off field .. the last time we had the legit chance to get things right and build our club to be a big club was in 2004 2005 but it was pigheadedness and ego's that got in the way of that and that led to a massive spiral ... we are on the right track now , its not going as fast as we would like due to the team success not being present but the direction of the club (should we hold nerve and stick to it) in my opinion is setting us up to future proof our club ..

Just get the trades done. All the posturing and inflated egos don't mean a damn thing.

We don't know what draft picks will give us. If we have decent players wanting to come... get it done.

I couldn't care less if how the Bell vs Lethlean/Gubby thing goes. I care about us winning games of footy.

If we can keep Bruce, keep him.

The more good players we have, the better season we'll have (rocket science, i know). It's better than filling spots with players that no other club is remotely interested in. Is anyone really surprised than Newnes didn't get offers? I'm not.

Damn shame about Bing. If the AFL got involved, that's piss poor.

Only d
That's completely tangential to what my point was, whichis that for now he's clearly happier to take a big contract than play with his brother and I don't see why that would change anytime soon.
only if the club environment isn’t developing him as a player and he is sick of losing. Giants players keep leaving and they r getting paid heaps and winning...if your home base is a shithole, nothing can change that. Foldcoast only have one go at keeping Ben IMO. Playing at Moorabbin with his brother will happen just not yet.

FFS two captains of the club left for other teams. Foldcoast is a joke team I will laugh about when I am 60 trying to explain to my grandkids why they were in the competition and a tassie team wasn’t.

Last edited:
Chicken Nixon tweeted yesterday that Geelong are in front in the bidding for Hill.
Chicken is a clown. Throws more darts than the trade whisperer and rarely gets anything right. He's out of the loop these days.

Geelong have a heap of picks but all below our first still.

They would have to give up a heap of picks and salary to get him.

In a perfect comp they would merge St Kilda and Melbourne. Then either relocate North to Hobart or merge them with the Dogs and establish a 3rd WA team and a team in Tassie.
In a perfect Comp being run for the benefit of top teams and northern expansion clubs where people really couldn’t care less I think you mean.

This isn’t anything new there are sides in just about every sport I follow who dominate and others who just make up the numbers. What is quite unusual imo is that the games administration in this case actively seek to promote the interests of some clubs over the interests of others.

I can remember when collingwood and Richmond were flat broke and rattling cans, hawthorn were never a big club and came how close to merging with a permanently listless Melbourne. No as much as I may hate it every team in the competition is equally important and all I’m asking is that the people running the competition treat them that way.

It has not. A majority of us are actually relieved that we don't have the distraction of this turn of events to prevent us from getting deals done.

Me included.

Not saying I never wanted Bing but I admit I wasn't much more than lukewarm on the idea.

think of it this way - we go into this draft with three players keen on us and only pick 6 and 59 and futures to make it happen.

We then split that pick to get everyone there!

If we didn't already have the tag destination club we would after a TP like that - it's not about winning TP as far as I'm concerned. Win premierships.

Yeah, I have hardly seen anyone melt so far.

actually you are getting caught in the perception of success onfield equalling success off field ... in 2010 we had a strong playing list but we were still a nobody in terms of the admin of our club ... if anything the fact we were successful on field plastered over the fact we were not going well off field .. the last time we had the legit chance to get things right and build our club to be a big club was in 2004 2005 but it was pigheadedness and ego's that got in the way of that and that led to a massive spiral ... we are on the right track now , its not going as fast as we would like due to the team success not being present but the direction of the club (should we hold nerve and stick to it) in my opinion is setting us up to future proof our club ..
That’s my point. We were so badly run in 2009 and 10 we couldn’t take advantage of something that was nearly impossible to stuff up. But apparently a good ceo is responsible for on field success so maybe nettlefold was good. Nah. Shows the silliness of equating on field success to a good ceo. As you say this is the best the club has been run for many a year. Since drake and Huggins in the 60’s actually

Have we heard anything from the club today? I'm assuming silnce is golden and they're still quite comfortable

I am staying calm

For now
Still a full two days left - more than that in fact given the late deadline on Wednesday.

No good being a destination club if we are a Cant get the deal done club

We need to get the Hill deal done he nominated us, we need to show we are professional enough to get the job done.
So in the future managers of high end talent know we are up to it

Last edited:
Used to have a thread around here called

'lies, damned lies, and statistics'

It's relevant here imo.

I mean look at who's number 1 on disposal efficiency.

and next Saints player on the list is McKenzie.

I think we all know Hill uses the ball well, due to good overall decision making and execution. Some people need to keep away from the stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back