List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

The most important things from this period for the Saints. Every player who nominated St Kilda was brought in . Not many other teams managed that .
Steven was rewarded for his service to the club , plus his mental issues by the club not asking much for his move to the cats . Bruce was also allowed to leave for not too much because he was trying to look after his young family by taking a much bigger pay packet , cant be angry at him for that .

So hopefully in the future other players will know if they nominate the Saints they stand a good chance to getting there.

im happy with the trade period . Obviously the Saints brains trust decided to recruit players in for this season rather than draft more young kids at the draft . If you look at our list we have a lot of young players so i think it was a brilliant decision. Yes we might have payed overs for Hill but we now have an elite fast mid in our team . Also Ryder will be a big help for Marshall , especially learning ruck craft during preseason and training drills . Also if something happens to Marshall at least we have another good ruckman to cover for him.
Jones looks really good , fast and tackles really well , reminds me of the way Lenny used to tackle , people couldnt break away from Lennys tackles.
Howard is a super get . Wouldnt be surprised if he will be our starting full back for the year . They might keep Brown on just to give advice to the young defenders in Sandys side plus back up in case of injuries. He can also be thrown forward if necessary , a good option to have .
Dont know much about Butler .

Sad to lose Steven , Bruce and Acres but i wish them all the best .

Great post.

Can’t underestimate how good it could be for our young players development to have the likes of Hill, Ryder and to an extent Jones alongside Hannebery now, lots of experience. Also Howard seems to be a natural leader too.

Hill + Hannebery + Butler all know what it takes to win a flag.

Last edited:

I think make or break on this trade period will be the cultural change. Bringing in five reasonably experienced guys to the group is a big injection. Hill and Butler are premiership players with experience at successful clubs. Ryder's been AA and experienced a lot over many years in the game. Jones has played seven finals including getting 21 touches in a losing Grand Final. And Dougs apparently is a born leader.

Not to mention Hanners, a premiership player who's played 22 finals and been AA three times. And Ratts, who also played in a premiership and 17 finals, two AAs.

This new experience needs to give the rest of the group a kick up the backside, give them a real understanding of what it takes to be successful in this game. If the total of all this could lift every player 5-10% next year, we'd play finals.

Bottom Line:

We have a better team now.
  • Better midfield, with more pace and run and with Hill more class
  • Howard an upgrade on Brown (Has offensive side, and is bigger, quicker, more agile and can also play as a key forward when required)
  • Ryder is the only old recruit - So all the others have great shelf-life and are all ready to go and proven performers
  • Butler possibly not a huge upgrade - But plenty of pressure on gaining a small forward position in 2020
  • The ins are all a good blend with what we have (Butler the main one with overlap)

Add in King and Bytel with in effect their first full year 2020, but one year older than most kids, and that is an exiting new first 22.

Add in Robbo if he comes back and that is yet one more quality player on 2019!

What needs does he fit? I didn't realise we needed more players to cough the ball up, here I was thinking we had an ample selection of those already.

Nah it's all good we did aight this trade period I'm just not impressed with Jones tbh. Also not impressed with how we rolled over on our own players value but that's whatever.
maxresdefault.jpg

The most important things from this period for the Saints. Every player who nominated St Kilda was brought in . Not many other teams managed that .
Steven was rewarded for his service to the club , plus his mental issues by the club not asking much for his move to the cats . Bruce was also allowed to leave for not too much because he was trying to look after his young family by taking a much bigger pay packet , cant be angry at him for that .

So hopefully in the future other players will know if they nominate the Saints they stand a good chance to getting there.
Bingo.

next year when crouch is looking for a new sexy team to play for, he will pick us because he knows we will get him there!

Do we actually have pick 51 left. Not sure where pick 56 came from for Butler?

56 (rotation) was the pick used for Butler
32(Bruce) was the pick in Jones' deal.

Bruce excess: 51

58 (Steven) goes out for Hill.

So we had at any stage during trade;

Out: 6, 10, 12, 18, 32, 56, 58, 76.
Kept: 51 (Bruce), 82 (original)

The rest of the pick currency was 2020 with second, third and fourth's shifting.

The debate is the Jones deal since it was late, so 76 potentially rotates back in since our 2020 third shuffles a bit so potwentially 82 or 51 rotates out. But based on movement of picks, we should have 51 and 82 as 82 remained untouched and 51 was obtained with Bruce, the rest are "contested" or owned as part of trades.

GWS: 6
Hill: 10, Acres, 58, 2020 2nd + 4th
Howard & Ryder: 12, 18, 2020 3rd
Jones reported as: 32, 2020 3rd
Butler: 56

Bruce = 32 + 51
Steven = 58
Acres = no pick

56 is the "whore pick" was Pies to Sydney to us to Tigers, we basically held the pick after signing with Swans, then lost it signing with Tigers.

Jones deal: Jones + 56 + 2020 4th -> 32 + 76 + 2020 3rd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you're saying...but change was needed. We haven't done much in the last 8 years. I'm not as connected to the players as I once was, maybe because of our sub par performances. I'm hoping this trade period is a catalyst for something special. I'm hoping that Acres & Bruce leaving sends a chill through the group to up their games. I'm hoping that the guys we have remaining take a sizeable jump through their ceilings. We've done well these last 10 days. It's a good thing in itself.

As long as they start to get it right soon. I can't do another 5 year rebuild which could happen I they get it wrong. We still need top shelf players from somewhere. I still think the draft is where they usually come from. Next years draft looks like it will be as bad as at the compromised drafts fo us so really we won't get much from it unless we arse it.

So after the disaster Carlton had recruiting the Giants dud players due to Silvangi's terrible recruiting decisions , a trade period where he failed to get any of the names they wanted , the question is will he get the sack ?

A few thoughts:
- Getting all 5 deals done was a huge accomplishment. Our draft position next year is unchanged apart form losing the second. That is a great achievement. It's not easy, just look at Carlton.
- All 5 players could be best 22. That is exciting.
- I think Geelong acted like absolute A-holes with the Steven trade. If they weren't willing to take him on, they should have just said that they didn't want him. Instead, they took advantage of the situation with his mental health, however they obviously DID want him or they wouldn't have traded for him. Really poor form from them, just makes me hate them to be honest. That one left a bad taste.
- Moving Acres on is a good move, especially if he's on 500k or thereabouts. It's a shame he didn't fulfil his potential at the club, really hope he can come on at the Dockers, great to watch when he's at his best.
- The new players will add a lot of excitement to 2020. Hill will be a gun. I think Jones is an underrated pick up. Good times to be a Saints fan.

I agree. i now officially hate geelong. i hate them more than i hate Freo

Correct me if I’m wrong but the following players remain uncontracted:

Newnes, Brown, Rice, White

We must delist at least three of the above to use three picks in the draft.

P51 - live pick
P76 - live pick
P82 - Wilkie
I would guess Rice , White and possibly Brown will get delisted .

Correct me if I’m wrong but the following players remain uncontracted:

Newnes, Brown, Rice, White

We must delist at least three of the above to use three picks in the draft.

P51 - live pick (Mature ruck depth)
P76 - Biggie Nyoun
P82 - Wilkie upgrade

White and Rice are gone. Brown will be dropped to the rookie list for 1 more year. Newnes has a contract for 2 years at not much $$ in front of him.

I'm happy with the outcome.
Hill, Jones, howard great inclusions.
Ryder will replace Bruce in the 18, obv not as good fwd, but much better ruck.

Sad to see Brucey go, but can see for team balance how he (or membrey) would be pushed out of our team when all available. And he's far too good to be playing VFL.
Shame, but that's footy.

Sucks losing Stuv, but it was over for him (at STK at least) last year.
Trade price irrelevant, hope he gets well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back