Australia v New Zealand 1st Test at Perth December 12-16

Remove this Banner Ad

They call the MCG pitch dangerous. WA need to man up with that bounce at the MCG.
If batsman are getting hit in the ribs off a good length in the first hour of play it’s an issue.
Halfway through the 4th day is a different story.

If this was in the first session of day 1, yes.

This is exactly how a pitch of this age should behave

Not really, but it shouldn’t be a surprise.

The horizontal cracks are the problem, and were the problem also at the WACA.

Realistically, the grounds men have done a pretty good job with this deck given the conditions.

Could you imagine what weather like this would serve up on an Indian deck?

Last edited:
Perth Test Attendance is pretty poor, only 50 odd thousand in the 3 days play and another 10k today. I still think Boxing Day day 1 will be solid.

I actually think the crowds have been pretty good considering. 40 degree days are pretty gross to be in, would have put a lot of people off. I considered not going on Friday because of the weather, but went along anyway.

Then when you consider Thursday was a work/school night, Friday and Saturday nights this time of year lots of people are busy with Christmas parties etc, plus the Wildcats and Glory had home games yesterday. The turn out isn't actually too bad.

Doesn't look great on TV in a big stadium with everyone hiding up in the shade, but if this was at the WACA it would look like a near sellout with those crowd numbers.

Not really, but it shouldn’t be a surprise.

The horizontal cracks are the problem, and we’re the problem also at the WACA.

Realistically, the grounds men have done a pretty good job with this deck given the conditions.

Could you imagine what weather like this would serve up on an Indian deck?
Pune 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question:

Do fast bowlers have long arms relative to their height?

Seems like long arms are an advantage. Jaspit Bumrah for example.
Interesting one. I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. Not necessarily "for their height", but long arms could be an advantage in generating pace. If the shoulder is working at the same pace, the hand on a longer arm will be coming through quicker.

Interesting one. I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. Not necessarily "for their height", but long arms could be an advantage in generating pace. If the shoulder is working at the same pace, the hand on a longer arm will be coming through quicker.

Physics 101.

The longer the lever etc etc.

Same deal re tall footy players and kicking distance generally.

The kiwis lack one opening batter, a spinner, and anyone who can bowl over 140 clicks.

Apart from that they look ok.

It was unfortunate the one person they selected who could bowl over 140 clicks got injured on the first day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back