Opinion Sack Hinkley 3 - 2021 is worse than 2020 already

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone was sick of Hinkley being negative all the time so he comes out the way a Port coach should and he is still doing it wrong? i think this is a step in the right direction. Aim high every single game and season and do not accept the mediocrity which has festered at the club for the last 5 years.

I'm not saying this will end well but at least he is aiming high. I certainly hope he proves us all wrong, i doubt he will but I can only hope for our club that he pulls of a miracle this year.
When was he ever negative?

He's been positive even after 100 point beltings.

Never accepts criticism or admits failure.

It's not about what he did say. Nobody has a problem with this club aiming to win premierships.

It's what he didn't say.

He hasn't taken a skerrick of responsibility for the last 5 years, where we've been an absolute s**t show under his stewardship. And now he's telling us we expect to win the flag. It's pretty clearly just a members survey driven PR move. An empty promise that he'll face no extra scrutiny for failing to keep. He's the perfect coach here at David Koch FC, where nobody is held accountable for their performance.

It really doesn't matter what he says now, it doesn't matter how positive or negative it is. People just don't buy into it any more. He's completely lost the trust of the sane majority of the supporter base and nothing short of winning a flag will get that trust back.

It really doesn't matter what he says now, it doesn't matter how positive or negative it is. People just don't buy into it any more. He's completely lost the trust of the sane majority of the supporter base and nothing short of winning a flag will get that trust back.

"Big Footy - youse were wrong!"

<smashes Coke Zero can on forehead>

View attachment 821743

So you didn’t start last year wanting to win the premiership?

The media are so in bed with this guy it’s laughable I’m astounded we still have supporters buying in to the spin
I don’t get it. Why are you so toxic? I mean I understand you don’t like him as a coach but what’s with the constant stream of bile? It’s seems obsessive? Did he sleep with your wife? Or is just that he makes more dough than you? In the words of Razor, mate, you need to calm down. 😂

I don’t get it. Why are you so toxic? I mean I understand you don’t like him as a coach but what’s with the constant stream of bile? It’s seems obsessive? Did he sleep with your wife? Or is just that he makes more dough than you? In the words of Razor, mate, you need to calm down. 😂

You're talking to people who have supported a football club for their entire lives, spilled countless hours, dollars and tears in that time.

They have a coach who hasn't just completely blown a premiership window to the point where we played 1 final in 5 years, he's done it with a smug smile on his face, insisting that he knows better than the supporters and never once acknowledging that he is responsible for this mess, or even that we're in a mess, really.

It's not his fault that he's still the head coach, but it's his fault that he's never shown even a hint of contrition for accepting a large paycheck over a long time to do a bad job.

You're talking to people who have supported a football club for their entire lives, spilled countless hours, dollars and tears in that time.

They have a coach who hasn't just completely blown a premiership window to the point where we played 1 final in 5 years, he's done it with a smug smile on his face, insisting that he knows better than the supporters and never once acknowledging that he is responsible for this mess, or even that we're in a mess, really.

It's not his fault that he's still the head coach, but it's his fault that he's never shown even a hint of contrition for accepting a large paycheck over a long time to do a bad job.
I know all about supporting the club my entire life. 6 memberships every year, Tim Evans was and is my favourite player, before him it was Ebert. I freaking hope he knows more than supporters and He has every right to believe it, he‘s played and coached at an elite level. I disagree that he hasn't taken responsibility. Like Ash Barry, or Steve Smith he always talks in a “we” like a coach/leader should. You’ve got every right to disagree but some of the stuff written here is laughable.

What other coaches have lasted 7 years without winning a final, or gone 9 years without a top 4 finish?

If Hinkley is here until the end of 2021 and does nothing of note that surely makes him the only person?

I know all about supporting the club my entire life. 6 memberships every year, Tim Evans was and is my favourite player, before him it was Ebert. I freaking hope he knows more than supporters and He has every right to believe it, he‘s played and coached at an elite level. I disagree that he hasn't taken responsibility. Like Ash Barry, or Steve Smith he always talks in a “we” like a coach/leader should. You’ve got every right to disagree but some of the stuff written here is laughable.

Can you show me an example of where Ken Hinkley has said that Ken Hinkley was at fault for a poor season? Even somewhere where he's blamed the coaching in general? I completely disagree that he's taken responsibility, ever, really.

Talking in a 'We' is fine when talking about moving forward. But talking about a 'We' when looking back is hiding from accountability. To strive for excellence, people at the club, especially key architects, need to take some personal responsibility, and just as importantly they need to be seen to be taking personal responsibility. We're now at the point where he's played 1 final in 5 seasons. Port supporters are looking for some sort of hope for the future, and they've got the same old coach trotting out the same old empty platitudes. The same old total lack of accountability, blame shifting garbage.

The stuff written here is quite often an emotional reaction to what has been a very long and difficult 5 years for people who live and die by the fortunes of this club. Potting people for sounding off on a discussion board because they're upset is a waste of your time and theirs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind him saying stuff like that, it's much better than the loser talk we've been accustomed to for several years now.

In reality though, it's a laughable notion. I literally laughed out loud when I read it. Ken Hinkley's got as much chance of standing on the premiership dais this year as he does of standing on the moon.

I don't mind him saying stuff like that, it's much better than the loser talk we've been accustomed to for several years now.

In reality though, it's a laughable notion. I literally laughed out loud when I read it. Ken Hinkley's got as much chance of standing on the premiership dais this year as he does of standing on the moon.

The thing for me is that it's really off brand for someone who usually shies away from expectation. When he's already pretty untrustworthy, it just doesn't land at all.

It feels like a reaction to the member surveys saying we were sick of loser talk. If it were genuine it feels like there'd have been a bit more to it. A bit more acknowledgement of the mentality needing to change.

We'll see if this expectation to win sticks around for the presser after the first disappointing loss.

Hinkley is quoted as saying "We are going to start the year......" and continues with "You have to qualify for finals ....." Correct me if i am wrong but when spoken by an individual, "we" refers to both the speaker and listener and/or other people whereas "you" is used to refer to a listener or reader (either singular or plural).

I read his statement as: he is going to start the season wanting to win the premiership (which should apply to every season) but then it seems to transfers ownership of that to others, by changing just one word. If a coach is part of the team, why does the statement begin with "WE are" but then change mid sentence to "YOU have to". Shouldn't it continue with " WE have to qualify for finals". ?

I like kens attitude sounds like a port person finally expecting only flags like our great sanfl coaches of the past.
Ok the sanfl coaches had the history in the Sanfl to back it up unlike our afl era
But ports always used to strive for the best and weren't scared to tell the opposition that.
But where has this been the last 5 years?
They are wasted years regardless what happens this year.
I don't think he can win the flag as I see it as a 2 horse race this year tigs/eagles but he may be able to get us deep into finals with the changed attitude if he keeps it and doesnt change it.
They say the team follows the attitude of the coach and i truly believe that.

Hinkley is quoted as saying "We are going to start the year......" and continues with "You have to qualify for finals ....." Correct me if i am wrong but when spoken by an individual, "we" refers to both the speaker and listener and/or other people whereas "you" is used to refer to a listener or reader (either singular or plural).

I read his statement as: he is going to start the season wanting to win the premiership (which should apply to every season) but then it seems to transfers ownership of that to others, by changing just one word. If a coach is part of the team, why does the statement begin with "WE are" but then change mid sentence to "YOU have to". Shouldn't it continue with " WE have to qualify for finals". ?
I seen what youse done there.

He clearly should have said "One has to qualify for finals"

Not sure how valid analysing Hinkley's use of the English language is though. :think:

Last edited:
I actually think port people are told to be positive about the club and give momentum to this spin... He was of the other opinion last year.

Yes, Hinkley is simply doing what he has been told. Memberships are down in our 150th year so Hinkley is attempting to sell Memberships by 'geeing up the troops' with positive spin. In this morning's press Hinkley is quoted as saying he thinks the China game will go ahead. All positive but spin none the less.

It's amazing how 95% of the pro Hinkley posters in here are relatively new to Big Footy. I guess Koch's marketing department need something to do in the off season
I'm hanging out for Thunderpants's next posting statistics update in defence of Hinkley's coaching record.

"39% of posters account for 81% of posts in this thread which is indisputable proof that Kenny is a truly great coach and must coach Port Power until he decides to retire."

It's not about what he did say. Nobody has a problem with this club aiming to win premierships.

It's what he didn't say.

He hasn't taken a skerrick of responsibility for the last 5 years, where we've been an absolute s**t show under his stewardship. And now he's telling us we expect to win the flag. It's pretty clearly just a members survey driven PR move. An empty promise that he'll face no extra scrutiny for failing to keep. He's the perfect coach here at David Koch FC, where nobody is held accountable for their performance.

Liked for the `David Koch FC ' comment, which is unfortunately what we have now become!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back