Preview AFL Returns - Round 2: North Melbourne vs GWS @ Giants Stadium - changes/prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to bring that up but I didn’t want to start that conversation, but watching it back over, Jack was nowhere near as bad as this board has made out. He didn’t have a good game...a few things he tried with the footy just didn’t work out but he impacted every contest he was in.

Watch the game again, he was absolutely horrible. Poor disposal, kicking across goal, fumbling, etc.
He was clearly short of a gallop, but he had an absolute mare before being injured.

I am still of the belief that if he can’t make it as a forward, he will be done by 30 at the latest.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watch the game again, he was absolutely horrible. Poor disposal, kicking across goal, fumbling, etc.
He was clearly short of a gallop, but he had an absolute mare before being injured.

I am still of the belief that if he can’t make it as a forward, he will be done by 30 at the latest.

He had a bad game for sure, but I think it’s been overblown because of the timing of his injury during the game and the extraordinary circumstance of a global pandemic that pulled the AFL to a halt, keeping round 1 in front of mind.
You don’t think he would’ve gotten better as the team got better? Please. He’s always part of our comebacks, he’s often the catalyst.

If he’s done by the time he’s 30 it’ll be because he put his body on the line every single time he’s pulled on the jumper. Never shirked. Not once. Not because he’s not up to it.

Another one that I think is slightly controversial is Jed, fans like him due to his toughness etc which is great but for me we have some seriously talented mids who could take his spot in Bonar and when fit LDU that would give us more overall. Whilst LDU is injured Bonar for me should be playing he just gives us something different in the middle, that burst away speed and strength around the ball.

Or even Tyson taking his spot as a tagger could better our team more overall

He had a bad game for sure, but I think it’s been overblown because of the timing of his injury during the game and the extraordinary circumstance of a global pandemic that pulled the AFL to a halt, keeping round 1 in front of mind.
You don’t think he would’ve gotten better as the team got better? Please. He’s always part of our comebacks, he’s often the catalyst.

If he’s done by the time he’s 30 it’ll be because he put his body on the line every single time he’s pulled on the jumper. Never shirked. Not once. Not because he’s not up to it.

My opinion has nothing to do with the pandemic, it was going through my mind during the game. His first half performance was horrible for the reasons already stated.
It may have been a coincidence that his injury coincided with our revival, but his injury definitely didn’t hurt us in the slightest and that is significant in itself.
Agree to disagree on him being the catalyst for comebacks. No doubt he puts his body on the line, but there have been plenty of occasions where he has been needed and nowhere to be seen.
I love the guy and he is a true shinboner in my eyes, but when there are guys like Simpkin, Thomas, LDU coming through I think his days in the midfield are numbered.

Another one that I think is slightly controversial is Jed, fans like him due to his toughness etc which is great but for me we have some seriously talented mids who could take his spot in Bonar and when fit LDU that would give us more overall. Whilst LDU is injured Bonar for me should be playing he just gives us something different in the middle, that burst away speed and strength around the ball.

Or even Tyson taking his spot as a tagger could better our team more overall

Mate it’s their spot. They’re on the list. It’s up to them to take it

Yes Jed is tough and yes his kicking doesn’t look efficient at times. But he’s a bloody good decision maker both with ball in hand but also knowing when to block, press up and where to lead to in the forward line both to get the ball in a dangerous spot but also to make space for Brown and co.

For me, I rather him than Ahern who kicks the ball forward blindly so often. And I’ll say it, Ziebell.

Yes Jed is tough and yes his kicking doesn’t look efficient at times. But he’s a bloody good decision maker both with ball in hand but also knowing when to block, press up and where to lead to in the forward line both to get the ball in a dangerous spot but also to make space for Brown and co.

For me, I rather him than Ahern who kicks the ball forward blindly so often. And I’ll say it, Ziebell.

Gave it a "like" and then the last word killed it.

My opinion has nothing to do with the pandemic, it was going through my mind during the game. His first half performance was horrible for the reasons already stated.
It may have been a coincidence that his injury coincided with our revival, but his injury definitely didn’t hurt us in the slightest and that is significant in itself.
Agree to disagree on him being the catalyst for comebacks. No doubt he puts his body on the line, but there have been plenty of occasions where he has been needed and nowhere to be seen.
I love the guy and he is a true shinboner in my eyes, but when there are guys like Simpkin, Thomas, LDU coming through I think his days in the midfield are numbered.

Jed brings great ballistic pressure and that creates both pressure and perceived pressure in opp midfields. We just don’t have enough good spread in our midfield. I rate him. But more importantly what he brings is something that we need and so is extremely valuable to our team’s makeup.

Halls 29 years old. If he’s still a student then he’s in trouble.

I’m not ragging on the bloke, he’s loaded with talent but for whatever reason he hasn’t been able to produce it consistently.

It’s up to him now imo. He’s got more ability then half the players in the comp. If he doesn’t reach his potential it’s on him. Not his coaches. I’m aware he’s had mental demons to deal with and that sucks. If that’s what’s held him back then it’s no different (In football output) to a player struggling because of a dodgy knee, ankle, back etc. end result is the same, if you can’t compete at a high standard at the highest level then it’s just the way the cookie crumbles.

Look i say this from a teacher's POV, btw im a teacher. Too many teachers focus on the negative, it's hard not to, we humans are wired to be negative as it's a survival mechanism. A good coach looks past the negative and identifies the strength, a better coach identifies the scenario where a player's strength can be utilized as often as possible and a great coach can do all said previously and also minimize if not eliminate chances where the player's weakness is exploited.

Look i say this from a teacher's POV, btw im a teacher. Too many teachers focus on the negative, it's hard not to, we humans are wired to be negative as it's a survival mechanism. A good coach looks past the negative and identifies the strength, a better coach identifies the scenario where a player's strength can be utilized as often as possible and a great coach can do all said previously and also minimize if not eliminate chances where the player's weakness is exploited.

I commend you for stating the obvious connection between contemporary teachers and neurosis. :thumbsu:

It's a weird profession in that it's elite is as valuable as any other profession in human society, yet so much of it's current demographic thinks it exists to promote political ideology.

Jed brings great ballistic pressure and that creates both pressure and perceived pressure in opp midfields. We just don’t have enough good spread in our midfield. I rate him. But more importantly what he brings is something that we need and so is extremely valuable to our team’s makeup.

if the center 3 are anderson, hall and simpkin, i say we are on par with most teams. Players like ziebell and cunnington are becoming more and more of a hindrance than assets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I commend you for stating the obvious connection between contemporary teachers and neurosis. :thumbsu:

It's a weird profession in that it's elite is as valuable as any other profession in human society, yet so much of it's current demographic thinks it exists to promote political ideology.

oh, that sentiment isn't completely fake news becaues i used to work at this really low SES school where a large portion of the teachers are more social workers and SJW snowflakes than actual teachers in the strictest of sense. These are the bloody pariahs as they muddy the water and by their good intentions paves the way to hell (saying goes the road to hell is paved with good intentions). These ******* hellraisers in practice makes discipline a dirty word if not racists and student wellbeing as an excuse to drop standards. When you have fellow teachers like these, who needs detractors.

oh, that sentiment isn't completely fake news becaues i used to work at this really low SES school where a large portion of the teachers are more social workers and SJW snowflakes than actual teachers in the strictest of sense. These are the bloody pariahs as they muddy the water and by their good intentions paves the way to hell (saying goes the road to hell is paved with good intentions). These ******* hellraisers in practice makes discipline a dirty word if not racists and student wellbeing as an excuse to drop standards. When you have fellow teachers like these, who needs detractors.

Bravo!

I too have eyes and ears mate. It's not like I am making this up.

AFL website saying Larkey is in doubt with a foot issue, is this news to you guys?

Nope.

Tristan Xerri is starting to emerge and may be the replacement.

Alternatively, they may go with a mobile, medium type who can take a grab such as Mason Wood, in order to throw out the GWS Davis-Taylor defensive structure. We have a good supply of medium forwards/resting mids who can take a grab.

I take it you're not an English teacher.

"You've gotta be strength focused and positive to teach well"

"Bloody social workers are the worst"

As usual, just top notch insight.

if the center 3 are anderson, hall and simpkin, i say we are on par with most teams. Players like ziebell and cunnington are becoming more and more of a hindrance than assets.

Cunnington is our most valuable asset in the midfield, until others can step up with clearances and contested ball. At the moment we don’t have a young player close to capable of what he can do in those areas at the moment.

It’s counter-intuitive at first glance, but I also feel we are better without Cunnington and Ziebell at centre bounces. Once that centre bounce has occurred you’d want to get one of them in there pretty quickly but IMO, never more than one at a time.

Gave it a "like" and then the last word killed it.
Personal preference. Jed and Ziebell are on par in tight. Ziebell is better resting forward. But Jed has much better game awareness in general. He sees the “next phase” and is proactive. Whilst Ziebell is just always in the “now” which is why he hacks the ball forward so much.

I think Ziebell still has an important role in the team but midfield time should be limited, especially with Jed in the team who can match his hardness but more effective in there.

Cunnington is our most valuable asset in the midfield, until others can step up with clearances and contested ball. At the moment we don’t have a young player close to capable of what he can do in those areas at the moment.

Agree need Cunnington in there without doubt then the flair and speed around him in sympkin Hall Higgins etc.... need Anderson on the bench to come in for cunners when he needs a break or when need additional pressure in there.... don’t think we can have both anymore ie Anderson and cunners unless shutting down and def the time has come to keep ziebel fwd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back