List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawks outsmarted us in that draft we wanted lids and Roughead

Before the draft they took roughy out to lunch and he told the hawks that Richmond were taking him at 4

Hawks wanted buddy most but knew Richmond weren’t really interested they leaked that they were balls deep into Tambling

Draft comes around hawks know to get both they have to pick Roughead first and hope dogs don’t take Franklin

Richmond get annoyed and draft Tambling to get back at the hawks who obviously piss themselves laughing

Honestly think Tambling would be a good player if drafted now Richmond back then were a disaster and bling had confidence problems that he needed therapy for

Mind you this is the same Richmond back then who put no money into recruiting and drafted Oakley-Nicholls top 10 without ever once watching him play live and only when he was at west coast did it come out that he was illiterate

How we got picks off Adelaide for Tambling and graham I’ll never know

Caro on FC just said Saints have some big financial announcements from rich supporters to

a) continue the capital works
b) aiming at two high profile recruits at year end.

Make of that what you will.

Yep. Repeated what she said on 3aw last week.
Also that Bassett was filthy at Peter Gordon’s comments and that Gil got a few phone calls from us and some other clubs.

Good on Caro for mentioning some people thought that Gordon had been hit by the karma bus too after the game 🤣

It also appears that if we did offer Bevo the coaching job ( although denied by the club) we inadvertently caused the Dogs to sign him prematurely to a long contract, putting themselves under serious soft-cap pressure. Not unhappy about that either.

Excitement levels through the roof after the Bulldogs game, opens up the trade forum, reads 147 posts about McCartin and Tambling....FMD what a mood killer. Anyone seen Max King? He’s about 6’8, fastest guy on the field and has kicked 4 goals in his first two games. He was the clear no.1 prospect in his draft year before injury and then falls to the Saints at 4. Swings and roundabouts gents. Tambling...FMD.

Hawks outsmarted us in that draft we wanted lids and Roughead

Before the draft they took roughy out to lunch and he told the hawks that Richmond were taking him at 4

Hawks wanted buddy most but knew Richmond weren’t really interested they leaked that they were balls deep into Tambling

Draft comes around hawks know to get both they have to pick Roughead first and hope dogs don’t take Franklin

Richmond get annoyed and draft Tambling to get back at the hawks who obviously piss themselves laughing

Honestly think Tambling would be a good player if drafted now Richmond back then were a disaster and bling had confidence problems that he needed therapy for

Mind you this is the same Richmond back then who put no money into recruiting and drafted Oakley-Nicholls top 10 without ever once watching him play live and only when he was at west coast did it come out that he was illiterate

How we got picks off Adelaide for Tambling and graham I’ll never know

that was still occurred back then. the draft systems were not what we had in 2014. so there's atleast that for an excuse.

trout had no such excuse. neither did we as a club.

that was still occurred back then. the draft systems were not what we had in 2014. so there's atleast that for an excuse.

trout had no such excuse. neither did we as a club.
Yeah I think taking Scully and Trengrove over Dusty are much bigger * ups.

I think taking Tom Boyd in hindsight which is what you are doing here over anyone else in that draft a * up.

I was majorly on the Petracca bandwagon. I wanted him at number one. But we took a bloke who was also that highly thought of. The reasoning was very sound at the time for doing so. How was anyone supposed to know Bruce would kick 50 the following season and Membrey become a very good player?

At the time Buddy went for over a mil a year and that played a huge part in deciding to take Paddy. No one could know that he would suffer so many concussions. From what I’ve seen of Petracca, I don’t have any regrets. Wishing we had De Goey is a different story.

Landing Marshall as a rookie pick on the other hand ..... should we start to see something positive written about this by you and the others?

Swings and roundabouts and the Paddy decision has very sound logic to it. It didn’t work out. Not any of that is a reflection of us. Kid was just bloody unlucky.

Caro on FC just said Saints have some big financial announcements from rich supporters to

have at it guys:

of the 2020 class, not a lot available:
Brad Crouch (RFA)
De Goey
Darcey Moore (probably not a requirement)
Andrew McGrath
Caldwell (probably not a "big name")
Powell-Pepper

2021:
Matt Crouch (RFA)
Cam Rayner
McCluggage
Patrick Cripps (RFA)
Stephenson
Treloar
Cerra
Rowell
Anderson
Kelly (RFA)
Rioli
Parker (RFA)
The Bont (RFA)

alot of these are super unlikely to impossible, but figured i'd just list them. some aren't really big names either.

Yeah I think taking Scully and Trengrove over Dusty are much bigger fu** ups.

I think taking Tom Boyd in hindsight which is what you are doing here over anyone else in that draft a fu** up.

I was majorly on the Petracca bandwagon. I wanted him at number one. But we took a bloke who was also that highly thought of. The reasoning was very sound at the time for doing so. How was anyone supposed to know Bruce would kick 50 the following season and Membrey become a very good player?

At the time Buddy went for over a mil a year and that played a huge part in deciding to take Paddy. No one could know that he would suffer so many concussions. From what I’ve seen of Petracca, I don’t have any regrets. Wishing we had De Goey is a different story.

Landing Marshall as a rookie pick on the other hand ..... should we start to see something positive written about this by you and the others?

Swings and roundabouts and the Paddy decision has very sound logic to it. It didn’t work out. Not any of that is a reflection of us. Kid was just bloody unlucky.

i've always said and had numerous posts on trout and co being able to find gold late, in defense of trout. some of it quite heated around 2016-2019. i was always in the it's development rather than drafting for the cause of our issues. so it's not like i haven't been posting positive about them. they've done well there. we have been happy at some point over the course of the journey with the following late to DFA selections:
- roberton
- weller
- membrey
- templeton
- lonie
- sinclair
- marshall
- white
- paton
- hind
- parker
- wilkie

some of these guys were seriously talked up but their performances ended up being flashes in a pan (weller, templeton, white). others were talked up but looking like falling down the way side (sinclair, parker). some have been very solid contributors for a while now (roberton, membrey). others it's too early to tell but it looks seriously promising (marshall, wilkie). some could go either way still (lonie, hind, paton).

so i think we need to becareful here given how we rate players off the back of 1 or maybe 2 seasons, sometimes a handful of games. i do think it's too early to be chalking up marshall as our pick 1 outcome.

but what i don't think anyone could argue is that they've done well out of the draft late. the issue has been the top end. particularly late firsts, early 2nds. where the bust rate is higher. some of that is probably down to development.

anyways there's a reason why trout aint there anymore and the entire recruitment team has pretty much been reworked since 2014. because it just wasn't cutting it. the saints were not exactly hiding their issues with trout. they were open about it.

given it a couple of years and maybe some extra change and they might be pretty open on their opinion on what happened with mccartin. i suspect they think the whole strategy was wrong to begin with and that meant the wrong player was selected.

also because i rate their drafting late, doesn't change my opinion that the pick 1 was an utter bust. didn't understand it then. don't understand it now. i could atleast get the other trades and draft selections. paddy i just didn't ever get. much like i thought we massively overpaid for tom lee.

there's literally whole threads of numerous posters and even more on twitter of people going "WTF" to the news we were locked in on McCartin, including a well connected saints fan telling Cal Twomey out right and publicly that he was full of s**t with the McCartin call before it got announced.

Last edited:
Imagine the drama trying to get McGrath
have at it guys:

of the 2020 class, not a lot available:
Brad Crouch (RFA)
De Goey
Darcey Moore (probably not a requirement)
Andrew McGrath
Caldwell (probably not a "big name")
Powell-Pepper

2021:
Matt Crouch (RFA)
Cam Rayner
McCluggage
Patrick Cripps (RFA)
Stephenson
Treloar
Cerra
Rowell
Anderson
Kelly (RFA)
Rioli
Parker (RFA)
The Bont (RFA)

alot of these are super unlikely to impossible, but figured i'd just list them. some aren't really big names either.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCartin never had much of a run at it. I feel for the guy. He really wanted to play & seemed eager to prove himself to us...it just didn't pan out for either party.
Unfortunately it happens sometimes.
We can't really judge him as a bust. He was a young player in a crap team with woeful development. 35 games over 5 years for 34 goals or whatever hardly screams continuity.
We can't say it was wrong...but we can definitely say the whole scenario is an unfortunate result.

Now, with that said...I want to hear more about our rich benefactors bank rolling us to a premiership. It sounds sugar daddy optimistic.

Ben King and there Dad.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't think so, the "Ambassador" money the AFL is paying Ben for the term of his contract, on top of the overpayment GC paid will keep him there.

GC banking on them being a high performer by then and he will want to stay.

The only player I have heard we are into is Crouch, and as you say, I would rather swallow razor blades than deal with the druggies over McGrath

McCartin never had much of a run at it. I feel for the guy. He really wanted to play & seemed eager to prove himself to us...it just didn't pan out for either party.
Unfortunately it happens sometimes.
We can't really judge him as a bust. He was a young player in a crap team with woeful development. 35 games over 5 years for 34 goals or whatever hardly screams continuity.
We can't say it was wrong...but we can definitely say the whole scenario is an unfortunate result.

Now, with that said...I want to hear more about our rich benefactors bank rolling us to a premiership. It sounds sugar daddy optimistic.

I agree with that totally, but at the same time i'm really happy to see King just come out and jell with the team.

Looks like we have a special player in King who fell to us at pick 4. The draft is such a lottery.

It's pretty obvious we should have gone Petracca over Paddy but it's hard to judge properly given Paddy's concussions. He could have become a solid player for us.

A few of our recent high picks are looking good though. Clark, King, Gresham, Long, Billings. If they all keep going the way they're going we will forget about Paddy.

2 midfielders is what I keep hearing in circles close to key people.

Again, I think 1 is Ollie Wines. Not sure about the second. Could very well be Brad Crouch. Super keen last trade period. Didn’t have the resources to deal at that point.

Dunstan gone if this happens. Carlisle likely to leave if the season ended today. Roberton a question mark. McCartin salary off the books. No longer paying our portion of Jack’s salary.

Money to burn. If we get it right. We could very well be a club in the top 6 mix.

Don't think so, the "Ambassador" money the AFL is paying Ben for the term of his contract, on top of the overpayment GC paid will keep him there.

GC banking on them being a high performer by then and he will want to stay.

The only player I have heard we are into is Crouch, and as you say, I would rather swallow razor blades than deal with the druggies over McGrath
King will be someone we look at again in 4-5. You would need to be stupid to pay any kid that type of money outside of the expansion clubs. Hence the clubs position of encouraging the Kings to take the offer.

2 midfielders is what I keep hearing in circles close to key people.

Again, I think 1 is Ollie Wines. Not sure about the second. Could very well be Brad Crouch. Super keen last trade period. Didn’t have the resources to deal at that point.

Dunstan gone if this happens. Carlisle likely to leave if the season ended today. Roberton a question mark. McCartin salary off the books. No longer paying our portion of Jack’s salary.

Money to burn. If we get it right. We could very well be a club in the top 6 mix.
We'd be silly if we weren't going harder for Crouch than we are for Wines considering one is a FA.

Not sure I feel comfortable giving up another high draft pick for a good, but not elite mid.

It's only a small sample size, but it looks like we've found a good one with Zak Jones who cost us very little.

Both will leave their respected clubs though I reckon.

We'd be silly if we weren't going harder for Crouch than we are for Wines considering one is a FA.

Not sure I feel comfortable giving up another high draft pick for a good, but not elite mid.

It's only a small sample size, but it looks like we've found a good one with Zak Jones who cost us very little.

Wines in my opinion fits more of a need. He is an elite contested ball winner.

We don’t have a player of that mould.

Crouch is an Elite accumulator who doesn’t do enough damage with the ball. We have a few of those already.

But you take what you can get. Both make us better.

I'd rather throw money at Zac Williams before Crouch.

I'll also hazard a guess that Wines contact is less than what Crouch will be demanding as a RFA too.

Port are stuffed with Ollie. His value has plummeted and even their supporters just want to move past him.

Both SA clubs would be going hard at Hatley too, so we could easily just ransom off our first pick to the highest bidder and Hatley in, Wines out, would probably do the job for Port.

Williams, Wines, Caldwell at trade, find a couple of Jacks late in the draft.. Still rather have Archie Perkins though. .

I'd rather throw money at Zac Williams before Crouch.

I'll also hazard a guess that Wines contact is less than what Crouch will be demanding as a RFA too.

Port are stuffed with Ollie. His value has plummeted and even their supporters just want to move past him.

Both SA clubs would be going hard at Hatley too, so we could easily just ransom off our first pick to the highest bidder and Hatley in, Wines out, would probably do the job for Port.

Williams, Wines, Caldwell at trade, find a couple of Jacks late in the draft.. Still rather have Archie Perkins though. .
I can’t see us landing Caldwell. There would be a queue with all Victorian clubs and we won’t have the currency to pull it off in a trade.

Wines in my opinion fits more of a need. He is an elite contested ball winner.

We don’t have a player of that mould.

Crouch is an Elite accumulator who doesn’t do enough damage with the ball. We have a few of those already.

But you take what you can get. Both make us better.
I'm interested to see what kind of year Steele has. Ratten has said he wants him to focus on winning the footy a lot more this year and it showed good signs in the early part.

If he can get those numbers up the need for another contested ball winner wouldn't be so high, especially with Zak Jones also winning plenty of contested footy.

Can't be too choosy I know but I think we need a bit more class in there and I think there's a bitof that in the draft.

I'm interested to see what kind of year Steele has. Ratten has said he wants him to focus on winning the footy a lot more this year and it showed good signs in the early part.

If he can get those numbers up the need for another contested ball winner wouldn't be so high, especially with Zak Jones also winning plenty of contested footy.

Can't be too choosy I know but I think we need a bit more class in there and I think there's a bitof that in the draft.
Then your perfect outcome would be Crouch as a free agent and hit the draft with our first.

I would snap your hand off if that was offered today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back