Preview Round 10, 2020: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Thursday 6th August, 8:10PM AEST *RYDER 250TH*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 49 94.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for earning a spot...Long plays in the practice matches not even in the best comes in.

Savage has a good game and gone for one of Rattens favourites. Ridiculous.

People bagged Richo for playing Newnes and Sinclair. Well Ratten has his favourites to!
cooperg bagging saints players. Who would have guessed.

but favourites that play well.

Long was best 22 all year until getting suspended, was always coming straight back in. He averages the most intercept possessions out of our whole backline.

Savage wasn’t even selected in the 22 last week. He was 23rd man and came in for Ross as a late change. He had a solid performance. But he’s not best 22 and having 1 solid performance as a late inclusion doesn’t outweigh Long’s impressive first 6 weeks of football this year.

Cooper seems to be a couple of years behind.

Can't argue with those changes, Kent and Long the obvious ins and Parker and Savage the obvious outs.

Good to see playing the best possible 22 and not mucking around with any unnecessary rotations.
Hope we win easy and it's just a training run in the end and attack Cats in top condition - I want the Roo's to do damage today / bang up a few of there players

The planets seem to be aligning...

Very few injuries
Decent draw ahead
(Fingers crossed) no more travel.

We have a great opportunity here boys - Seize the Day!

Creamed myself looking at that. Stop it Ratts!!!

View attachment 928226

interesting the emergencies

EMG
[30] Ed Phillips,[27] Ryan Abbott,[31] Ryan Byrnes,[34] Matthew Parker

AIs this the first time Abott is emergency. ? bytel is not an emergency

So much for earning a spot...Long plays in the practice matches not even in the best comes in.

People bagged Richo for playing Newnes and Sinclair. Well Ratten has his favourites to!
Longs performances this year have been better than Savages one game on the weekend and suits the way Ratten wants us to play.

Simple as that.

interesting the emergencies

EMG
[30] Ed Phillips,[27] Ryan Abbott,[31] Ryan Byrnes,[34] Matthew Parker

AIs this the first time Abott is emergency. ? bytel is not an emergency

Abbott likely an EMG due to Ryder's hand

Most have covered off why Max is perceived as the greater talent. Matthew Lloyd coached both boys & he basically said Ben is your up & back leading forward or defender where as Max has x factor & will jump on heads.

Also worth noting that Max has the most inside 50 ground ball gets of any St Kilda player. What that shows is that he is extremely athletic & agile. As has been described by Gringo in the past, Max is like a 200cm Stevie Milne.

Really good point regarding Max’s limited games since his ACL. Just shows the significant talent that we are dealing with. If he remains injury-free we are looking at the growth of a generational player.
Sav awfully stiff to not even make the squad after a perfectly fine overall game last week where he did plenty of good things.
Think the idea is to rotate the emergencies so the emergencies from the week before can focus on a good training run to keep match fit and we have 6-8 players ready to inject in when needed.

Perfect changes this week.
Kent’s last few weeks have been great, Parker our worst forward (I will say he wasn’t much worse than Geary though).
Long for Savage also obvious. Long was best 22 before the suspension (some great games and some below average games; but overall deserved his spot). Savage came in as a late in and played well, but that performance wasn’t getting him ahead of anyone else.
Ross to play when he’s ready next week, might be a few sore boys with the quick turn around so much easier to fit him in next week.
Geary to tag Harbrow.

Parker our worst forward (I will say he wasn’t much worse than Geary though).

Geary might have been in the forward line, but his job wasn't to be the typical forward you might probably expect. He was an effective defender who roamed our forward line and set us up nicely in there.

Last year I was on the drop Geary train (and the year before), but this year his work in the forward line has been really good. I wish they'd used him there like this a long time ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obvious inclusions. The cool, calm and collected sublimely skilled Clark to get more midfield minutes, the honey badger Long at half back...and Membrey's stunt double Kent (has anyone else heard the commentators stuff these two guys up ad-infinitum) to snag two goals out of nothing.
Love it.

Just a note on Parker. Agree with a couple of other comments. He seems on the outer fringes with the group. Looks deflated. Hope it turns around for him.

Where’s your evidence?

I cited his intercept possession numbers. Why don’t you cite some actual facts instead of your opinion? No one will take you seriously until you do.

Since I started this can I offer up possessions, marks, i50's, tackles, rebound 50's, 1%'s., clearances, score involvement, scores, metres gained.

Long has been OK but he is seen as the future and that is why he is being played ahead of Savage - not because Savage is crap.

View attachment 928204

Random question - but should we be down as St Kilda Saints and not just St Kilda?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Think all teams have an official name that may or may not include the nickname part.
Ours is just St Kilda the same as Port Adelaide and North Melbourne don't have the nickname.

St Kilda Saints sounds a bit weird

Geary might have been in the forward line, but his job wasn't to be the typical forward you might probably expect. He was an effective defender who roamed our forward line and set us up nicely in there.

Last year I was on the drop Geary train (and the year before), but this year his work in the forward line has been really good. I wish they'd used him there like this a long time ago.
If Geary’s role was to tag Lloyd, he didn’t do it very well. Lloyd got 25 disposals and 120+ SC ranking points. He’s barely in the 22 this year, now that Paton has taken over his small defender role. He’s fighting for a spot in the 19th-22nd player bracket.

Since I started this can I offer up possessions, marks, i50's, tackles, rebound 50's, 1%'s., clearances, score involvement, scores, metres gained.

Long has been OK but he is seen as the future and that is why he is being played ahead of Savage - not because Savage is crap.
I know we've been through this, but again, metres gained means nothing when you turn the footy over 6 times (only one player in thr comp averages more) and go at 50%.

One of our biggest weakness's for years was our disposal coming out of the back half.

Long is ahead in contested possessions, intercepts and disposal efficiency.

As I've said, he's preformed better, but more importantly plays to the style that we want to play.

That is turning the ball over from opposition and lowering our eyes and hitting targets rather than just kicking the leather off it and going for cheap metres gained.

The fact that Savage isn't even an emergency this week just proves he wasn't playing to our game style.

Did he play in a scratch match?
Are they allowed to play in a scratch match while suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back