Recommitted Jack Gunston [UFA 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't think Gunston suits the Dogs and Bevo's gameplan tbh.
I don't think so either, and especially seems odd that we'd be pursuing yet another key forward with Schache not getting games and Bruce just being recruited. Although obviously he's better than both of them.

One big upside to Gunston is leadership, which our forward line sorely lacks. Other than Wallis, we genuinely have no on-field leaders in the forward line apart from when Bont rests there. And Wallis is basically brand new to the role so not a huge amount of knowledge he could impart unless it's around stoppages

Question for Hawks fans - if the Dogs did look to trade for Gunston, would you see any of Bailey Dale, Josh Schache or Patrick Lipinski as valuable to a Hawks side? All 3 seem to be in the 23-25 section of our team meaning they won't get games with a fully fit list due to others being ahead of them (Dale and Schache behind Wallis as medium forward/3rd tall role, Lipinski behind McLean when fit).

I imagine in the hypothetical scenario we traded for him, our 1st is involved, but feel it'd work for us if we could get something in the way of picks back to us by including a player, or else we'd struggle to match the JUH bid

Question for Hawks fans - if the Dogs did look to trade for Gunston, would you see any of Bailey Dale, Josh Schache or Patrick Lipinski as valuable to a Hawks side? All 3 seem to be in the 23-25 section of our team meaning they won't get games with a fully fit list due to others being ahead of them (Dale and Schache behind Wallis as medium forward/3rd tall role, Lipinski behind McLean when fit).

I imagine in the hypothetical scenario we traded for him, our 1st is involved, but feel it'd work for us if we could get something in the way of picks back to us by including a player, or else we'd struggle to match the JUH bid
Dale possibly, schache massive no, lipinski yes. Not sure what we’d offer on return though, our second rounder is around the 22 mark and seems a little bit too much. I think we’d be fairly keen on using it or moving up in the draft

Dale possibly, schache massive no, lipinski yes. Not sure what we’d offer on return though, our second rounder is around the 22 mark and seems a little bit too much. I think we’d be fairly keen on using it or moving up in the draft
Had those exact thoughts on each player in my mind - Lipinski seems exactly the type Clarko loves. Schache is a beautiful user of the footy but too soft to play the traditional KPF role so is more suited to a 3rd tall / leading forward type. Also figured your Pick 22 is asking a bit much. If we could do 12 + Lipinski or Dale, I'd like something around 30 coming back if it eventuated. Both surplus to our needs at the moment and are a bit soft (we have too many soft players) so we'd be better off getting something out of them now before they lose all value. Worth doing it for a player as good as Gunston

Last edited:

Look I don't think so. McLean we would be keen on but you guys love him and his recent injury will rule him out.

Also you guys can't really afford to part with this year's 1st unless you get the equivalent points++ back.

I really can't see a trade getting done with the doggies at all because the closest thing I can imagine getting it done that works somewhat in both teams favor is: future 1st and this year's 1st for equivalent points++ back and Gunston.

Now I guarantee that won't be offended but you guys have a great culture and it would be hard to get any players out, this year's 1st will need to be used in some way to get JUH (used in a bid or traded for points) and a future 1st is to subjective.

Look I don't think so. McLean we would be keen on but you guys love him and his recent injury will rule him out.

Also you guys can't really afford to part with this year's 1st unless you get the equivalent points++ back.

I really can't see a trade getting done with the doggies at all because the closest thing I can imagine getting it done that works somewhat in both teams favor is: future 1st and this year's 1st for equivalent points++ back and Gunston.

Now I guarantee that won't be offended but you guys have a great culture and it would be hard to get any players out, this year's 1st will need to be used in some way to get JUH (used in a bid or traded for points) and a future 1st is to subjective.
Agree. I wouldn't take that deal.
It's gonna take overs to get him. He's that good.

Had those exact thoughts on each player in my mind - Lipinski seems exactly the type Clarko loves. Schache is a beautiful user of the footy but too soft to play the traditional KPF role so is more suited to a 3rd tall / leading forward type. Also figured your Pick 22 is asking a bit much. If we could do 12 + Lipinski or Dale, I'd like something around 30 coming back if it eventuated. Both surplus to our needs at the moment and are a bit soft (we have too many soft players) so we'd be better off getting something out of them now before they lose all value. Worth doing it for a player as good as Gunston

Why are you continuing with this trading for Gunston scenario when you agreed with the statement that he wouldn't suit Bevo's gameplan?

You never clarified the gameplan part but rather stated it didn't make much sense because you traded for Bruce last year. I will help you out, it is pretty clear that what you traded for last year with Bruce was a lemon; saints supporters realised that last year and I think most of your own supporters now realise that. The difference between Bruce and Gunston in taking a set shot is akin to comparing blood and water.

Why are you continuing with this trading for Gunston scenario when you agreed with the statement that he wouldn't suit Bevo's gameplan?

You never clarified the gameplan part but rather stated it didn't make much sense because you traded for Bruce last year. I will help you out, it is pretty clear that what you traded for last year with Bruce was a lemon; saints supporters realised that last year and I think most of your own supporters now realise that. The difference between Bruce and Gunston in taking a set shot is akin to comparing blood and water.
Honestly how hard is it to understand?

I said it makes little sense to me, but there's also been strong mail floating around that we are actively chasing Gunston. What I believe doesn't represent what the club believes, it's a pretty simple concept.

In case you hadn't figured it out, I am not Bevo/Power

Gunston be a Hawk or Pie in 2021

Gunner be expensive.

Welcome to Hawthorn Pies 2021 first round pick + Tom Phillips. :$:thumbsu:

Gunner be expensive.

Mitch Lewis needs a seriously good off season or we are bottom 4 again next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunner be expensive.

That's actually not a bad deal. Next years 1st rounder is stuffed for us due to Nick Daicos, so I expect both that pick and Tom Phillips to be traded at some point.

But I think Hawthorn would likely ask for more/better.

Gunner be expensive.

That's not even that expensive, I'd take that lol

Gunner be expensive.

Would happily do that deal, although I’d push for a 2021 3rd in return too.

I'll bite your hand off for the pick you get for Treloar!! ;)
Strange situation that one. I can’t for the life of me work out what’s legit and what’s not with all the conflicting reports going around, but I get the feeling the club is planning something rather large....

Gunner be expensive.

I would not be a Terrible Trade but not the best either

Depends if you're getting Cameron. If you get Cameron and Gunston, then forgeddaboutit.
Would completely change our forward line. I doubt it will happen, but if it did, wowee...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back