Recommitted Jack Gunston [UFA 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

He is contracted and a key forward.

You’re not getting him out of Hawthorn cheaply.
Once again, a first round pick and an established best 22 player is not cheap....

You are right he is not Danger or Cameron but lets not pretend that a lot of Pies fans have been wanting Phillips traded all year.
Pies fans put Phillips up for trade because he’s excess to our needs and holds currency. If Daicos hadn’t taken a stratospheric leap this year he would be our preferred wing man and wouldn’t be suggested so often. Yes, there are loudmouths who bag him but that’s the same for any player who’s not in the elite category. Wherever he ends up he’ll play 100+ games imo.

Pies fans put Phillips up for trade because he’s excess to our needs and holds currency. If Daicos hadn’t taken a stratospheric leap this year he would be our preferred wing man and wouldn’t be suggested so often. Yes, there are loudmouths who bag him but that’s the same for any player who’s not in the elite category. Wherever he ends up he’ll play 100+ games imo.
He has received a lot of heat for being an outside player with average foot skills. He has been hammered by a lot of fans.

As a team lacking foot skills he really does not solve a lot for us. Maybe other teams will value him more highly but i doubt he would be overly fussed about getting him.

He is a solid player but a limited one.

He has received a lot of heat for being an outside player with average foot skills. He has been hammered by a lot of fans.

As a team lacking foot skills he really does not solve a lot for us. Maybe other teams will value him more highly but i doubt he would be overly fussed about getting him.

He is a solid player but a limited one.
See at least this is a well thought out post as to why the Hawks might not want him. Seems like there are quite a few different opinions of him from Hawks fans, considering several in this thread have suggested he be a part of a trade.

How is the price of a 25 year old All Australian midfielder relevant to Gunston? You’re taking the piss right?
A contracted AA key forward....

If you can’t see that he’s worth more than a late first and fringe player, that’s on you.

A contracted AA key forward....

If you can’t see that he’s worth more than a late first and fringe player, that’s on you.
Fringe implies that Phillips is in and out of the team. He played 80+ consecutive games up until he got injured this year. That is not a fringe player. And Gunston is 4 years older than Kelly and not a current AA like Kelly was. I agree he’s worth a significant amount, but you’re being unrealistic imo.

Fringe implies that Phillips is in and out of the team. He played 80+ consecutive games up until he got injured this year. That is not a fringe player. And Gunston is 4 years older than Kelly and not a current AA like Kelly was. I agree he’s worth a significant amount, but you’re being unrealistic imo.
Gunston is contracted. That’s the part you keep glossing over while talking about his age.

Apart from the fact he’s a bonafide star goal kicker, Hawthorn aren’t just going to hand him over for a pick and an excess player.

He has huge currency in the market.

You need to weigh up whether you believe Gunston can be the difference in your team making the 8 or vying for the Premiership. What cost is a Premiership to you ? Pay the price and you could be rewarded accordingly.
I‘m sure Buckley knows his true worth & doesn‘t read bigfooty

Gunston is contracted. That’s the part you keep glossing over while talking about his age.

Apart from the fact he’s a bonafide star goal kicker, Hawthorn aren’t just going to hand him over for a pick and an excess player.

Only if someone wants to pay the price you're asking. Otherwise his value is mute. I get the feeling he'll be like JDG...noone will be willing to pay the price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says who?

Next year he will be 30 this time around, what would he command then? Every minute that goes by, is value taken off Gunston.

If 1st round pick + a player we clearly rated since we are paying him 550-600k isn't enough for Gunston, then what, are you expecting 2x 1st round picks?? lol haha Hawks supporters :)

I’m not glossing over anything. If he was uncontracted I wouldn’t be suggesting a first round pick and a best 22 player.
You need to weigh up whether you believe Gunston can be the difference in your team making the 8 or vying for the Premiership. What cost is a Premiership to you ? Pay the price and you could be rewarded accordingly.
I‘m sure Buckley knows his true worth & doesn‘t read bigfooty
I’m sure that Buckley has absolutely nothing to do with trade negotiations. Our list manager who happens to be Jacks former manager will be well aware of what he is/isn’t worth. I’m almost certain that it’s less that you’re expecting, but time will tell.

Says who?

Next year he will be 30 this time around, what would he command then? Every minute that goes by, is value taken off Gunston.

If 1st round pick + a player we clearly rated since we are paying him 550-600k isn't enough for Gunston, then what, are you expecting 2x 1st round picks?? lol haha Hawks supporters :)
Hang on, you’re going to argue that Gunston doesn’t have huge currency? Really?

Get out of my notifications.

Then I guess the Trade won't Happen

Hang on, you’re going to argue that Gunston doesn’t have huge currency? Really?

Get out of my notifications.
Well I can neither agree or disagree with you because you still haven't told us what "huge currency is".

From our perspective, first round pick + Phillips is already the "huge currency" we think Gunston is worth. But that "huge currency" is quickly dwindling each year.

Well I can neither agree or disagree with you because you still haven't told us what "huge currency is".

From our perspective, first round pick + Phillips is already the "huge currency" we think Gunston is worth. But that "huge currency" is quickly dwindling each year.
In fairness you've gotta take Phillips out of the equation now. He's being pushed out as we speak.

What’s wrong with Tom Phillips?
Nothing

But it’s clear Collingwood don’t want him

I would want more than a mid teens pick and a player they are trying to get rid of for a contracted Gunston

I’m hoping he goes nowhere

Remove this Banner Ad

Back