Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm saying we've got someone to wrestle with Hawkins already so DGB will be playing a different role next season.

Besides do you think Andrews or Hartigan is the better players outside of one or two games against Hawkins this year?
Oh got ya , yeah he’ll play Sicily’s role. I was Just pointing out Andrews is great but slightly overrated, Lynch gave him a bath as well. Sicily kept lynch goalless and he is under sized.

It will be interesting to see how we use him early on, he is probably best suited to Strattons role at this stage but then Frosty also probably plays better as a third tall.
Yup, Frost isn't a KPD. Is either a very big BP or a 3rd tall defender

Is Dylan grimes with intercept marking a good comparison? Seems to be defensively very sound and flexible and a great mark but not a huge offensive threat?
If he can match the effort of Grimes we are in good hands. All we need now is a Dusty replica as those 2 guys are the launching pad for the tigers.

Oh got ya , yeah he’ll play Sicily’s role. I was Just pointing out Andrews is great but slightly overrated, Lynch gave him a bath as well. Sicily kept lynch goalless and he is under sized.

That was Big Boy wasn't it?

I think DGB actually will play a bit like Mcevoy did last year (in his good games)

Not exactly lockdown like a stratts or chip but not completely offensive intercepting like Scrim or Impey when he played there

I don't include sic cos he's actually quite a good 1on1 defender and plays that role occasionally

Is Dylan grimes with intercept marking a good comparison? Seems to be defensively very sound and flexible and a great mark but not a huge offensive threat?

Grimes and Jeremy McGovern.

Hopefully develops McGovern's reliability while maintaining Grimes athleticism. If so DBG easily end up better than both of them.

Given our backline is taking shape with options and DGB looks athletic, can really clunk it with a nice kicking action .... reckon its already crossed Clarko’s mind as another versatile option. A forward line with DGB, Lewis, Gunners, Bruest, Wingard could be a handfull for the opposition.

Last edited:
Enjoy reading this from Ed Pascoe’s draft notes of the 2020 WA All Stars U18 Game 2 (18/10/20)
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/tag/under-18-national-championships/

(My comments are in brackets)

THE 2020 Western Australia Under 18 All-Stars went head-to-head for a second time on Saturday, serving as the final chance for budding WA draft prospects to impress AFL recruiters. Potential top five selection Denver Grainger-Barras was ultra-impressive, leading Team Gold to a mighty turnaround (against Team Black) from game one in his side’s 55-point victory...

Denver Grainger-Barras
What a performance from the top five prospect, who wowed recruiters with his dominant first half display down back before being sent forward where he kicked two goals and showed his potential versatility. Grainger-Barras started the game extremely well, winning plenty of the ball down back and taking some ripper marks, which he does time and time again in every game he plays. His competitiveness and confidence were again on display, throwing himself into every aerial and ground level contest to give Team Black nothing every time the ball was in his area. The second half is what recruiters would have loved more than anything, as not only was he moved forward to show his versatility, but he also played well in a role he has spent little time in over the last two years. His energy brought a lot to the forward mix with some desperate spoils in the forward 50 creating scoring opportunities and his lead-up marking also impressive. His first goal came from a nice mark on the lead and set shot, while the other was a classy snap which showed his bag of tricks. With his athleticism, combativeness, and football talent it is easy to see why the Swan Districts prospect is considered one of the very best players in the 2020 draft pool.

(For Team Black...) Heath Chapman (Pick 14) ... certainly wouldn’t have expected a match up (and get beaten by) fellow elite backman, Denver Grainger-Barras in the second half, which forced Chapman to play a more defensive game.

2020 WA All Stars U18 Game 1
Denver Grainger-Barras
It wasn’t a massive game stats wise by any means from Grainger-Barras, but his impact was always apparent whenever he made a contest. He had an eye-catching play early with a nice spoil, followed by a quick gather of his own spoil to showcase his fantastic agility and nimbleness for a player of 194cm. Another great play was his manic attack to make a contest, running full tilt at the ball and his opponent. Upon gathering, he also laid a nice don’t argue. Some great spoils highlighted his second half but it was an impressive leap and intercept mark in the last quarter which really caught the eye. It has been a fantastic year for Grainger-Barras, who is destined to be taken very high in this year’s draft.

(Aside: it seems the most influential player for Team Black in game 1: which Black won, was Tyler Brockman with 26 disposals, 10 marks, nine score involvements, and two goals.)

Last edited:
Reading the above it sounds like DGB can bring the ball to ground when played up forward... DGB may also be living with TOB... Oh no, it's happening isn't it....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading the above it sounds like DGB can bring the ball to ground when played up forward... DGB may also be living with TOB... Oh no, it's happening isn't it....
TO'B to CHB, DGB to FP

The guy that brings it to ground plays in defence. The guy that marks it plays forward.

Maybe Denver Grainger-Baras is Denver Grainger-Barras and his own person.
Next Brad Sewell.

TOB has had his chance...

Tob in defence is asking for trouble, I’d rather him drop marks up fwd then in defence
If you bring the ball to ground at CHB it isn't a dropped mark - it's a spoil.

He gets to & contests the marking contest better than anyone I can think of. His job (at CHB) is to make sure the other guy doesn't mark it - then use his speed (to tackle) & foot skills (to rebound).

Welcome DGB, for everyone who has had a difficult year, it's fantastic that you have made your way to a great club, I'm sure you'll will feel Very Welcome.

DGB was, and is, touted as a certain 200+ gamer. His ability, mindset and talent will have him one of the best players in the comp.
His nature seems to be to attack the ball no matter what, Glen Archer style (= courage) but without Archer‘s body.
DGB was recently (14/08/20) reported at 195cm and 78kgs. One look at him now and that is close to right.

As much as we would like him playing AFL, we need to protect him ... from himself.

Last year Will Day continually scared me with his courage and his small frame... DGB will scare me in the same way.

We need to protect Day and DGB from themselves... when they get stronger it will be a site to watch when they are let loose.

DGB was, and is, touted as a certain 200+ gamer. His ability, mindset and talent will have him one of the best players in the comp.
His nature seems to be to attack the ball no matter what, Glen Archer style (= courage) but without Archer‘s body.
DGB was recently (14/08/20) reported at 195cm and 78kgs. One look at him now and that is close to right.

As much as we would like him playing AFL, we need to protect him ... from himself.

Last year Will Day continually scared me with his courage and his small frame... DGB will scare me in the same way.

We need to protect Day and DGB from themselves... when they get stronger it will be a site to watch when they are let loose.
DGB will be fine, he is a lot bigger then day and stronger.

No doubt will challenge Andrews for the mantle of best key defender in the future. Reckon he has a slightly better offensive skill set than Harris which should take him to no.1. One of his great strengths is his competitiveness at ground level. A lot of key defenders tend to struggle when the call hits the deck. Hartigan will be a great foil for him in his first couple of years at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back