25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Ok

It would almost be worth it to watch people lose their sh*t every time he has a decent game.
Wouldn't be giving him anymore than $550

Birdy don’t forget hind. ;)

GOP at best

That's the problem, He's a hero at St Kilda, he'd be just a player anywhere else. We lack elite players. I would say Steele is getting close but we have a side of GOPs. Billings would be very handy at a good club because he's clean and compact in his playing style but he's just not a star quality player. If some ne offered anything decent for him or Ross you'd take it right now.

Birdy don’t forget hind. ;)

Seriously though, remember when we were going to have this excess of players to trade out. Bruce was a pile of crap in a cup, Newnes free. Hind a pick in the late 70s that we were never taking to the draft. We then paid huge overs for Hill who was about the 5th best player in a bottom side.

No-one would be looking longingly at the guys we lost if we were actually performing or replaced the players with better players. Hind looks like the player we recruited when played in position. he's a gun. newness is limited but he plays with effort and has enough skills to get by. Bruce just kicked the biggest gaol tally in 10 years or something. Of course we'll melt if Billings goes somewhere and is a gun because we let him live like a prince on our purse and he was just in cruise mode.

Bit of a weird idea, but I wonder if we could have tried Hind on a back flank and Clark on the ball?

Imagine playing players in their natural positions.
🤦
In all seriousness, I would have rather kept Hind, by we had of delisted him and he’d been running around in a state league, we’d be none the wiser.

Also with this duel position rubbish, I can see what the club is trying to do, but sometimes you have to be a master of one trade, not a jack of all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the club need to make a decision. We go and get another established player and that’s it, all out at a flag, or we go to the draft, sell the stars for picks and try again. We can’t keep Steele if we are going to rebuild, doesn’t make sense. He’s at a place where he is ready to take the next step, win flags. Also, he is worth way more in draft capital to a rebuilding list. Yes he’s a leader, but he’s not gonna be the Gears. He’s one of the best on the list. Gears is that player born with leadership quality, but would struggle to get a game at a Richmond/Port, even in his hey day. I love Gears, no disrespect meant by that at all. It means that Geary is perfect for a rebuilding/finals team because of his qualities. It means however, that he doesn’t get to take that final step. I think Steele is rocking up next to Boak/Wines or Cotchin/Prestia.

I personally, think we will still make Finals, (come on boys, don’t make me look stupid now), and will be a club with whom players can and should get success. So I’m keeping the stars and reloading for another crack. This off-season is huge though. To Lethers, (if he is still there) and the team, your one way or the other now, can’t sell Steele for two first rounders to take to the draft and then sign Kelly as a FA. Pick a direction now boys. And go you Sainters.

I think the club need to make a decision. We go and get another established player and that’s it, all out at a flag, or we go to the draft, sell the stars for picks and try again. We can’t keep Steele if we are going to rebuild, doesn’t make sense. He’s at a place where he is ready to take the next step, win flags. Also, he is worth way more in draft capital to a rebuilding list. Yes he’s a leader, but he’s not gonna be the Gears. He’s one of the best on the list. Gears is that player born with leadership quality, but would struggle to get a game at a Richmond/Port, even in his hey day. I love Gears, no disrespect meant by that at all. It means that Geary is perfect for a rebuilding/finals team because of his qualities. It means however, that he doesn’t get to take that final step. I think Steele is rocking up next to Boak/Wines or Cotchin/Prestia.

I personally, think we will still make Finals, (come on boys, don’t make me look stupid now), and will be a club with whom players can and should get success. So I’m keeping the stars and reloading for another crack. This off-season is huge though. To Lethers, (if he is still there) and the team, your one way or the other now, can’t sell Steele for two first rounders to take to the draft and then sign Kelly as a FA. Pick a direction now boys. And go you Sainters.

Jesus NO!!!
We're having some issues sure, but weve got a good cire of youngsters who will only get better in the next couple of years.

Our 22 is is alright and we just need to keep drafting and no more high value trades except if Bing can be secured.

Stay the course..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine playing players in their natural positions.
🤦
In all seriousness, I would have rather kept Hind, by we had of delisted him and he’d been running around in a state league, we’d be none the wiser.

Also with this duel position rubbish, I can see what the club is trying to do, but sometimes you have to be a master of one trade, not a jack of all.

All of them ought to be a master of one trade, but efficient (not necessarily effective) in another. We've got maybe 2-3 masters in their trade, another 2-3 whom are efficient in different roles...the rest are defective.

I think Billings is a better prospect than Gresham

Gresham has all the talent but application and injury might rob us of ever seeing it. On Saintsational someone was saying he's considering retiring from footy. Billings is highly skilled and has good decision making but has limitations. He plays like an accountant, he's stable and even. Gresham is like a fox in a chicken coup. He's chaos and frenetic movement but is the type to break games open in a stalemate. His skills are iffy at times but he's a game breaker rather than a Billings style architect. So many of the Richo era wins were Gresham doing the extraordinary.

I think they’ve both hit their ceilings. Low first round picks and I’d move them on

I'd keep both but hope Billings signs on for less. He's a limited player but an important player. If he left under FA I wouldn't cry but I'd be disappointed with him. He's been well paid for a slightly above GOP and cost a high pick. Gresham is worth nothing in a trade so we just have to persist and hope he becomes a Dusty who wakes up one day and decides to have a real crack at getting the most out of himself. He's probably the most X factor player we've had since Milne.

Gresham has all the talent but application and injury might rob us of ever seeing it. On Saintsational someone was saying he's considering retiring from footy. Billings is highly skilled and has good decision making but has limitations. He plays like an accountant, he's stable and even. Gresham is like a fox in a chicken coup. He's chaos and frenetic movement but is the type to break games open in a stalemate. His skills are iffy at times but he's a game breaker rather than a Billings style architect. So many of the Richo era wins were Gresham doing the extraordinary.
Well stress fractures and an achilles rupture doesn't bode well for his longevity. His body might just not be able to handle the rigors of AFL life, but the alternative is to dial it back and take him out of the midfield.
In hindsight, trying to get Hanners back to %100 was wrong when %80 would have been fine and more sustainable.
Anyway Gresh won't retire until that phat contract is finished...

Well stress fractures and an achilles rupture doesn't bode well for his longevity. His body might just not be able to handle the rigors of AFL life, but the alternative is to dial it back and take him out of the midfield.
In hindsight, trying to get Hanners back to %100 was wrong when %80 would have been fine and more sustainable.
Anyway Gresh won't retire until that phat contract is finished...

I reckon I'd put him up forward and try to wrap him in cotton wool. Probably kills off Lonie or Butler's spot though.

Jesus NO!!!
We're having some issues sure, but weve got a good cire of youngsters who will only get better in the next couple of years.

Our 22 is is alright and we just need to keep drafting and no more high value trades except if Bing can be secured.

Stay the course..

That’s what I said. I also think the club has done the hard yards.

To my way of thinking in the last several years we have gained two types of players from other clubs.

1/ Those that were a genuine chance of being best 22. Though players like Kent were stretching it.

2/ Those that were either only back up or really outside chances to make it.

Now while we can argue about the first group by and large it has been ok. Hannas is a bust, cost huge dollars but at least the trade price was low. Hill trade price was huge, as were the $$$. The lack of young talent by gaining Hill might bite us badly going forward unless he can really turn things around as at present we have only an average player from it who plays the occasional really good game..

However the second group as a collective is now starting to look like a huge blunder as it just means that we have been churning through less new unknown players who might become something.
  • Marsh, Abbott, McKernan, Wood, Hunter
  • The three pick ups this year all smack of the club only thinking about 2021, and not future years as well. Especially when you add Frawley to this group (capable of being first 22, but time clocking ticking on his career).
Now going for younger players is of course no guarantee and will be hit or miss, but at least there may of being the chance of finding another Marshall or Sinclair.

Sadly it is looking more and more like the Saints want to be big traders and recycler as they just are not much chop at drafting raw talent.

A guy rang in SEN the other day saying the Gubby Allen was doing to St Kilda what he'd done everywhere, he stuffed North, GWS and the Pies according to this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back