Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

My problem with it is simple - what happens if he gets bags kicked on him and is then dropped?

You will have killed his confidence completely.

He's a mobile big man who has just started playing forward, with virtually no help, and a midfield that can't kick to advantage, after losing a year with covid.

Some players and positions you just let them be, and look at the other issues first - such as delivery and the fact we have new forwards coach, before wrecking them completely.

Anyway this the Jeka thread
Yeah, perhaps, possibly, maybe.
Sure.

Kosi has really made it hard for him to get his debut next week.
I don't think they'll do this but in theory O'Brien could stay in the backline and Jeka could come into the team for Burgoyne and play O'Brien's role in the forward line.

I don’t mind if he has to keep pressing his claim to get a debut.

it was actually one of the things I wanted the most out of this year, to see Kosi and Jeka competing for their chance.

Heat is on Kosi to deliver now.
I’d keep TOB back and play with Kosi Jeka and Lewis.
Sort of reminds me of buddy, rough and tim Boyle
Three talls

I think two of his bags were against the bill ants, who appear to be hot garbage. But he still put in a good effort when up against a tougher opposition in round 1. If he doesn’t come in next week, you would think he can’t be far away.

He might have to wait another week or 2 now after we managed 18 marks inside forward 50 today.

Could you play Jeka, Lewis, Kossie and Gunston all in the same side?

Jeka and Kossie deep in the square, Lewis at CHF and getting up the ground, then Gunston roams as he pleases.

Then get a couple of smalls at their feet

We did play Franklin, Roughead, Hale & Gunston together with an additional ruck during our Premiership years. So I suppose it isn’t inconceivable. With the exception of Lewis all the others are also mobile enough to play higher up.

But the game has changed considerably since then. Is there a single side that currently goes with four talls forward? One of Lewis or Jeka would also need to add rucking to their skillset.

We did play Franklin, Roughead, Hale & Gunston together with an additional ruck during our Premiership years. So I suppose it isn’t inconceivable. With the exception of Lewis all the others are also mobile enough to play higher up.

But the game has changed considerably since then. Is there a single side that currently goes with four talls forward? One of Lewis or Jeka would also need to add rucking to their skillset.
Gunston goes back to steady the ship, while Timmy plays second fiddle in the ruck.

Is Gunston a "tall" in the traditional sense? He's mobile enough to balance it out.

Comparable to Eagles with Kennedy, Darling, Allan and Waterman. Lewis can do some rucking, he did today.

Our smalls would have to be very effective though....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you listen to his post match interview he mentions the "triangle" forward structure. Kos's interview sorry.

Last edited:
Got a bit of swagger about him.

Love the way he takes the ball above his head and in front of his face at pace. That’s a really pleasing sight.

Highlights of Jekas game on the weekend.

Can't believe how two footed he is. Moves around the ground really well and is more nimble than I thought.

Just looks too big and athletic for vfl level. His skills are also impressive. Love to see how he goes against better opposition as his defenders barely put a body on him. At AFL level he’d be getting whacked or arm chopped every contest, even against smaller opponents. Very exciting prospect all the same.

Got a bit of swagger about him.

Love the way he takes the ball above his head and in front of his face at pace. That’s a really pleasing sight.
Yes, that he takes it out in front makes it a lot harder to spoil than straight above his head. Very encouraging.

Is Gunston a "tall" in the traditional sense? He's mobile enough to balance it out.

Comparable to Eagles with Kennedy, Darling, Allan and Waterman. Lewis can do some rucking, he did today.

Our smalls would have to be very effective though....

Gunners more a mobile utility for mine. Third tall in old language.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back