Preview Sydney Swans vs Port Adelaide Power, Rd 15, Saturday June 26 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't rate Georgiades? He's more damaging than Charlie in my opinion as humble as it is. Normally Port would have two rucks playing but with the other two injured Ladhams does it all with a chop out from Charlie.

Brand would be handy because I think he plays the monsters really well. It is the really lively talls, like Cammeron, he struggles with. He does not have a huge tank. I think having him there with McCartin is a huge benefit. Rampe can now play on Rosie. I am sick of seeing Fox on much talker opponents. Our opponents are a wake up and it is no longer working. Fox should play on Fantasia or Gray.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having somehow forced myself to watch most of the replay, it was startling how many times Fox got beaten in the air by Hawthorn talls (McEvoy and Koschitzke in particular). So I agree, Brand has to come in imo.

Agree. Parker is not the problem!!
No Parker is not the problem but playing so many slower players in the mids together IS the problem. They simply can't kerp up with faster, more mobile mids. We were flogged by harder, faster mids against Hawks. The only really slow mids they had was Mitchell and he won't be there next year.

We need to get the right mix of speed and canniness in there. One slow fox with two fast smart boys. This is the reason we are getting so badly outplayed on the rebound. But not the only reason the corridor is wide open. We play zones. We are not playing man on man. Why? One of the reasons is our older players can't go with young smart, fast mids. The other is the coaches do not trust our young group to win one on ones. The zones have to go. The only zone we should enforce is the forward defensive zone guarding the ball that comes out of the forward line. Having at least one extra there is always a good thing while attacking. If the ball comes out quickly it goes back in just as quick. We have been caught out a few times recently with players being sucked into the forward contest and clogging up the forward 50. When the ball comes back we do not have an outnumber and with our undersized defence we are being out marked.

My point is don’t put Mills, JPK and Parker in at once. I’d like to see JPK rested forward more often. He is a big unit. Add Warner/Florent in the middle, even Papley. We need burst players as well as in and unders.
Somebody sensible for a change. Yes if the have two of those in the mids at once we are far too slow. If we have three we are in trouble as they can't keep pace with their opponents and get run off all the time.

Not sure they were that good. I hadn’t heard about the Carlton game.

My understanding (and observation) was that he was gradually improving and I did actually pick that he’d get selected.

I see similar with Ling. They’ve been wanting him to play less freestyle and more Swanstyle. The question is whether he was accountable or not. I didn’t see but someone said he was pretty good.
Again Bruce I think you must of some how missed Amartey's four great games. He took big marks, got the ball at ground level and took them on. He got four clearances in a row in one game. He gives off so well we get a huge run on. The reserves are defi nitely missing him and now Naismith is yesterdays news due to a terrible 3rd ACL they have only McAndrews and Sinkas.

I think going forward we need to look at Amartey as that Forward/Ruck. McAndrews as the development ruck and draft another young ruck with talent.

No sorry, just can't agree.
Yes they have shown they can play to the top level, but after finishing bottom four last year to expect them to play consistently to that level and expecting a top 4 finish this year is asking too much.
And yes I know Brisbane did it last year, but they had spent many more years than us rebuilding and Richmond did it in 2017 but they had underperformed for many, many years prior.
If we are still as inconsistent next year or more accurately 2023, then yep, everyone should certainly be getting pissed off, but this year I think it's great just seeing the improvement.
I'd agree with you if teams of recent years didn't shoot out of the blocks and go very far into the season when they weren't expected to. It's happening more and more, and despite such an experience disparity between all clubs, the comp is quite even.

Logically speaking WB should've kicked on with that very young 2016 team, but they didn't. You just don't know whats going to happen. Progress isn't always linear so you need to take your chances when they're presented. I can expect inconsistency from our 18 yr Olds, but anyone 20 and above there's no excuses, they're full-time professional athletes living and breathing the game. Yes it's reasonable to expect drops in form but I think the team has showed enough of what they're capable of, especially stepping up against the better teams, to give us reason to be disappointed in our current form, and keep expectations high. And it's important as supporters of the club that we keep that pressure on.

A bit more passion and aggression at the SCG might even help us with the umpiring for a change. We're too subdued as a fanbase.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you don't rate Georgiades? He's more damaging than Charlie in my opinion as humble as it is. Normally Port would have two rucks playing but with the other two injured Ladhams does it all with a chop out from Charlie.

Brand would be handy because I think he plays the monsters really well. It is the really lively talls, like Cammeron, he struggles with. He does not have a huge tank. I think having him there with McCartin is a huge benefit. Rampe can now play on Rosie. I am sick of seeing Fox on much talker opponents. Our opponents are a wake up and it is no longer working. Fox should play on Fantasia or Gray.

He's not a true tall. He is is a perfect match up for rampe.or Dawson. He's fine, looks the goods really, but he is a young and inexperienced player.

They absolutely have the forwards to hurt us. Rozee etc, it's just that there are no obvious size mismatchs between our preferred defenders and Thier forwards

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Recent history might be on our side here. Since 2018, there have been 24 matches where only one team had the bye the week before. On 18 of those occasions, the team coming off the bye has won.

75% strike rate there.

(Those odds increase to 87.5% when you take away Gold Coast, who perennially suck and are responsible for three out of the six losses by teams who had the bye.)

Idk... looking for any reasons to be optimistic here.

Recent history might be on our side here. Since 2018, there have been 24 matches where only one team had the bye the week before. On 18 of those occasions, the team coming off the bye has won.

75% strike rate there.

(Those odds increase to 87.5% when you take away Gold Coast, who perennially suck and are responsible for three out of the six losses by teams who had the bye.)

Idk... looking for any reasons to be optimistic here.

Could it possibily be GC and Dew are the anti swans?

We generally bounce back after a piss poor performance.

I was interested in this so I went back and had a look over the last few years (since start of 2019 - basically beginning of the new rebuilding era, as I see it) because I was curious to know. I judged on memory when we played a real stinker where we were barely competitive the entire game (like last week against Hawthorn) and looked at the immediate next game, here's what I found according to my opinion:

- 2021 lost to Gold Coast by 40, next week defeated Geelong by 2 (Geelong probably should've won it but nevertheless it was a good performance)
- 2020 lost to St.Kilda by 53, next week lost to Collingwood by 9 (much better effort but deservedly lost)
- 2020 lost to Freo by 31, next week lost to Power by 26 (much better effort but deservedly lost)
- 2019 lost to GWS by 41, next week lost to Brisbane by 22 (much better effort but deservedly lost)
- 2019 lost to Port by 47, next week beat Melbourne by 53 (maybe best performance of the year)

Key pattern as well is that each initial terrible loss came one week after a laudable effort (either a tight loss or a good/excellent win):

- 2021 lost to Gold Coast by 40, previous week we lost by 2 against GWS (good effort, should have won after winning first four games of the year)
- 2020 lost to St.Kilda by 53, previous week we beat Hawthorn by 7 (good effort against a bad team)
- 2020 lost to Freo by 31, previous week we had thumped GWS by 41 (maybe our best performance all year)
- 2019 lost to GWS by 41, previous week we had lost by 22 to Richmond (very good effort against undoubtedly the best team in the comp)
- 2019 lost to Port by 47, previous week we had lost by 2 points to GWS (excellent effort and we would have been deserving winners if we had got up)

Paints the picture of a young team drinking their bathwater a little after performing well and losing their bundle the next week because they aren't as switched on as they need to be. Very common dynamic in the AFL as the team starts progressing. Growing pains that they need to get over, great place to start would be to play well against Port and based on our last 2.5 years, I'd say we're likely to give a much better effort. We'll probably lose against a better side (I'll be tipping Port) but I'm confident the effort will be much better. And tbh our current side has more talent in it than any of the sides mentioned above over the last 2.5 years, so the team should absolutely be backing themselves if they pull their collective finger out.

I was interested in this so I went back and had a look over the last few years (since start of 2019 - basically beginning of the new rebuilding era, as I see it) because I was curious to know. I judged on memory when we played a real stinker where we were barely competitive the entire game (like last week against Hawthorn) and looked at the immediate next game, here's what I found according to my opinion:

- 2021 lost to Gold Coast by 40, next week defeated Geelong by 2 (Geelong probably should've won it but nevertheless it was a good performance)
- 2020 lost to St.Kilda by 53, next week lost to Collingwood by 9 (much better effort but deservedly lost)
- 2020 lost to Freo by 31, next week lost to Power by 26 (much better effort but deservedly lost)
- 2019 lost to GWS by 41, next week lost to Brisbane by 22 (much better effort but deservedly lost)
- 2019 lost to Port by 47, next week beat Melbourne by 53 (maybe best performance of the year)

Key pattern as well is that each initial terrible loss came one week after a laudable effort (either a tight loss or a good/excellent win):

- 2021 lost to Gold Coast by 40, previous week we lost by 2 against GWS (good effort, should have won after winning first four games of the year)
- 2020 lost to St.Kilda by 53, previous week we beat Hawthorn by 7 (good effort against a bad team)
- 2020 lost to Freo by 31, previous week we had thumped GWS by 41 (maybe our best performance all year)
- 2019 lost to GWS by 41, previous week we had lost by 22 to Richmond (very good effort against undoubtedly the best team in the comp)
- 2019 lost to Port by 47, previous week we had lost by 2 points to GWS (excellent effort and we would have been deserving winners if we had got up)

Paints the picture of a young team drinking their bathwater a little after performing well and losing their bundle the next week because they aren't as switched on as they need to be. Very common dynamic in the AFL as the team starts progressing. Growing pains that they need to get over, great place to start would be to play well against Port and based on our last 2.5 years, I'd say we're likely to give a much better effort. We'll probably lose against a better side (I'll be tipping Port) but I'm confident the effort will be much better. And tbh our current side has more talent in it than any of the sides mentioned above over the last 2.5 years, so the team should absolutely be backing themselves if they pull their collective finger out.

Appreciate the research and it makes a good read but the most interesting thing in the post is you think the rebuild began in 2019 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back