Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quite a lot of players hope for fair deals for their former club. Dangerfield was pretty vocal about wanting the Crows to get fair compensation.
It's honestly pretty easy for him to say, my intention is to join club X. I'll leave the details of how this happens to my manager, Fremantle and Club X to work through.

Danger said that as part of a PR exercise when leaving Adelaide knowing that the only way it was going to happen was via a trade. If he thought the RFA offer wasn't going to be matched there is no way he'd be saying that.

A lot of rose coloured glasses being worn in here to how Cerra will want to ensure Freo get proper compensation.

End of the day if he wants out then he is not going to come back to Fremantle out of any sort of loyalty if they don't get what they want from the deal. He will agree to terms from a certain club and then exit stage right for them to sort out a trade amongst themselves. Once he has made his intentions clear his part is over and he will be gone one way or another

I Believe Cerra is worth an early first and early second round in terms of picks. People talking about PSD like it would actually happen. Id actually be curious about how many times it has in the past 15 years. With regards to Hawthorn supporters thinking he aint worth much. If Fremantle were to target Denver Grainger Barrass, what would he be worth? Keep in mind that Cerra has shown a lot more.
Let me give you an honest answer here. There is not 1 team in the AFL that would swap DGB for Cerra straight up. None. If DGB was playing for Freo and Cerra was at Hawthorn and wanted to go to Freo then Freo would say no if it meant giving up DGB. Cerra is a decent player but plays in a non premium position.

Let me give you an honest answer here. There is not 1 team in the AFL that would swap DGB for Cerra straight up. None. If DGB was playing for Freo and Cerra was at Hawthorn and wanted to go to Freo then Freo would say no if it meant giving up DGB. Cerra is a decent player but plays in a non premium position.
You class the midfield as a non premium position? Tell me a team who has won the premiership without Star midfielders?

Was the PSD being used in such a way even a thing then, it's so long ago I can't even remember.
Interesting story: Carlton at one point had contacted Richmond and had offered a swap of picks that very much suited Richmond for the club to not pick Judd in the PSD (as a contingency plan) and the tigers threatened to go to the AFL as their response.

No club is going to force a young player out the door they just drafted for a player coming in. If DGB for some reason asked to go home this year or next, he'd get back what he was drafted for, there's no way you could say he'd go for more, he's hasnt played enough.

Personally, I'd argue key defenders are the least premium position in the AFL. You can find a key defender anywhere in the draft and you can win flags without premium key defenders

A lot of rose coloured glasses being worn in here to how Cerra will want to ensure Freo get proper compensation.

End of the day if he wants out then he is not going to come back to Fremantle out of any sort of loyalty if they don't get what they want from the deal. He will agree to terms from a certain club and then exit stage right for them to sort out a trade amongst themselves. Once he has made his intentions clear his part is over and he will be gone one way or another
Yes, but there is a difference between that and going through the PSD. Going through the PSD is a deliberate choice to * the club your leaving which is why it rarely happens

Obviously cerra doesn’t do it, it’s why players have managers.

His manager has a fair bit of involvement to make sure he gets where he wants.

Yes, but there is a difference between that and going through the PSD. Going through the PSD is a deliberate choice to fu** the club your leaving which is why it rarely happens

He's not going to just going to go that route to purposely * Fremantle but if the club can't negotiate a deal with whoever then he would be nominating for the PSD every day of the week before re signing with Fremantle if he doesn't want to be there. His part is over once he comes to terms with another club

He's not going to just going to go that route to purposely fu** Fremantle but if the club can't negotiate a deal with whoever then he would be nominating for the PSD every day of the week before re signing with Fremantle if he doesn't want to be there. His part is over once he comes to terms with another club
Yes, if he asks to leave, he's not re-signing with us but getting to his club through the PSD is something different. There is still a level of choice by the player to go through there. Players of his quality dont go through the PSD to get to their destination and they only ask to a go to a club they know can get the deal done (per every 2nd trade week manager interview ever). 2 2nd round picks is clearly not going to get a deal done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His stats at the same age are comparable to Josh Kelly. Is he a Star?
In his fourth year Kelly finished 5th in the Brownlow, averaged 30 touches and nearly a goal a game.

Cerra is tracking well, he’s a long way from Kelly though. In his career Cerra’s only had 2 30 touch games and kicked less goals than Kelly kicked in 2017 alone.

In his fourth year Kelly finished 5th in the Brownlow, averaged 30 touches and nearly a goal a game.

Cerra is tracking well, he’s a long way from Kelly though. In his career Cerra’s only had 2 30 touch games and kicked less goals than Kelly kicked in 2017 alone.
Maybe a poor mans version hehe. What sorta player do you have Cerra projecting as? Trying to think of a comparison

But a deal still has to be done. Look at the O'maera deal for example. That why I think it's funny that the only examples most Hawks supporters are bringing up ignore a very similar situation involving their own club.

Maybe a poor mans version hehe. What sorta player do you have Cerra projecting as? Trying to think of a comparison
I think I can see him along the lines of Macrae at the bulldogs. I can’t see Cerra ever having the ball winning ability of Macrae but apart from that I’d see Cerra ending up a similar player.

Both very good kicks, especially inside 50, both can play wing and centre. Both probably more outside than inside. Though their inside game is solid. Both quick enough and run both ways.

Obviously plenty of time for Cerra to develop but that’s my current thoughts.

I think I can see him along the lines of Macrae at the bulldogs. I can’t see Cerra ever having the ball winning ability of Macrae but apart from that I’d see Cerra ending up a similar player.

Both very good kicks, especially inside 50, both can play wing and centre. Both probably more outside than inside. Though their inside game is solid. Both quick enough and run both ways.

Obviously plenty of time for Cerra to develop but that’s my current thoughts.
This is a good comparison actually hay!! Yes without the ball winning

Every oppo keeps harking on about stats but unlike 90% of top 10 pick mids he’s landed at a team with a duel Brownlow medallist and a 350 game club legend whose still peaking.
(Plus a rising star and a guy picked 3 spots before him)
Subconsciously if your in a pack your looking for the captain or club legend.
And cerra being the junior gives right of way to those two for contested to.
Ross started him in the back half early on because he had a Fyfe (mvp) Neale (mvp) and rolled gold David Mundy at his disposal.
If he leaves I will be devo and he will win a Brownlow like Neale.

Freo has all the leveridge in this because Cerra wants to get home. Other clubs are more than happy to trade for him so if push came to shove why would Cerra completely screw over a club thats treated him well in order to please some malicious list manager? Carlton and Richmond would 100% offer a fair trade as both have been linked to him a long time now. Hawks and North fans need to buzz off with this PSD crap, it ruins these threads
I'm not a North or Hawthorn fan, but Martin and Hately have gone in the PSD the last two years.

One was a million dollar signing and the other was a first round talent only two years into his career.

I think we WILL see this more often, as bottom teams recognise they need to use every tool available to them to improve rapidly.

Will players choose those clubs? That's the bigger question.

Quite a lot of players hope for fair deals for their former club. Dangerfield was pretty vocal about wanting the Crows to get fair compensation.
Do they?

Dangerfield is an unusual example. A free agent who was traded - that's already really strange.

Other there other genuine examples?

plus Cerras manager wouldn’t want to just completely F over any relationship with Freo. Especially if he has existing/future clients there or wanting to go there.
That's actually a better point.

Back